Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

Devoted to discussion pertaining to those issues which are specifically relevant to people 45+. Topics must have a specific perspective of people in this age group for it to be on topic.

The story of Abraham and Sarah is told in chapters 11-25 of the book of Genesis.
Learn More:Abraham & Sarah

Aug 10th 2013 new
well.........I want to copy and reply to too many of these
posts and that would be silly......so here goes.......

yes I want a best friend plus...etc [preferably male]
.......... but it makes more sense to pray to accept God's will for me
so that is my best answer
Aug 10th 2013 new
(quote) Michelle-985969 said: Yes I used to pray for love but stopped because it was not granted. These days I just try to take everything in stride. If it is meant to happen, it will.
You are right Michelle, no amount of prayer is going to change anything. There may be an alternate universe where it does change things, but I seriously doubt that. It's a shame that so many people of faith in all religions waste so much time in prayer. The whole world would be a better place if those people used their time to physically go out in the world and DO something to make the world a better place.
Aug 10th 2013 new
(quote) Dave-104327 said: You are right Michelle, no amount of prayer is going to change anything. There may be an alternate universe where it does change things, but I seriously doubt that. It's a shame that so many people of faith in all religions waste so much time in prayer. The whole world would be a better place if those people used their time to physically go out in the world and DO something to make the world a better place.
"Watch ye, therefore, praying at all times, that you may be accounted worthy to escape all these things that are to come, and to stand before the Son of man." (Luke 21:36)

It's not an either/or situation: we can -- and should -- pray for guidance first; to pray while we are doing -- or, in many cases, not doing things that shouldn't be done; and to pray in thanksgiving afterward.

To willfully avoid prayer is a very good way to head off in the wrong direction or to not achieve the results we could have otherwise. Our actions have no merit on their own, but only through God's grace.

Aug 10th 2013 new
(quote) Michelle-985969 said: Yes I used to pray for love but stopped because it was not granted. These days I just try to take everything in stride. If it is meant to happen, it will.
Think about how long St. Monica prayed for the conversion of St. Augustine.

God answers all prayers. We need to remember that the answer may be "not yet", "or here's something even better."

Aug 10th 2013 new
(quote) Jerry-74383 said: Think about how long St. Monica prayed for the conversion of St. Augustine.

God answers all prayers. We need to remember that the answer may be "not yet", "or here's something even better."

as long as not praying for something specifically
and not for God's will ....................

those misguided prayers are a waste of time imho
Aug 10th 2013 new
(quote) Susan-857876 said: as long as not praying for something specifically
and not for God's will ....................

those misguided prayers are a waste of time imho
No prayer is ever misguided -- as long as we don't expect it to be answered in precisely the manner we ask. Even then they are not wasted: simply by turning to God rather than ourselves, no matter how flawed the execution may be, provides some spiritual merit.

Giving up on prayer, on the other hand, is a great waste.

Aug 10th 2013 new
(quote) Dave-104327 said: ....  It's a shame that so many people of faith in all religions waste so much time in prayer. The whole world would be a better place if those people used their time to physically go out in the world and DO something to make the world a better place.
You can do both. You can pray in words while you are unable to do deeds, you can pray in words while you are doing deeds and where it is dangerous to be thinking about one thing while doing another, the virtuous motives behind your deeds will be their own prayer.

But work and prayer are interrelated. In most cases, the attention needed to do both can be shared inside the multitasking marvel of the gift that God has given us, the brain. So, like tying shoelaces while chewing gum, they can be done together.

For more on work plus prayer, or prayer plus work ....

www.countrymonks.us
Aug 10th 2013 new
(quote) Jerry-74383 said: Think about how long St. Monica prayed for the conversion of St. Augustine.

Odds are that Augustine would have been converted whether his Mom prayed for him or not.
Aug 10th 2013 new
(quote) Dave-104327 said: Odds are that Augustine would have been converted whether his Mom prayed for him or not.
And you computed these odds.... how?

Aug 10th 2013 new

There's another option you forget which is, "here's something even worse." God is not likely to rearrange the timeline of anyone's life based on a prayer chain, or a novena or a rosary. (I say not likely since I do not pretend to know the mind of God, and I still believe that He can do anything if He so chooses) But many religious people do think they can know God's mind and use prayer as a way to alter events. Predestination is frowned upon by the RCC but it's kind of the way things really work. However, I would like to have another word to define it. We've all heard the slot machine analogy to prayer. St. Monica was just feeding the prayer slot. I greatly admire her tenaciousness, but it was in a way self-serving. She might well have been capable of great things that she did not attempt. She chose rather to spend all that time praying for Augustine who was going to convert in the long run anyway.
Posts 31 - 40 of 77