Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for general discussion that doesn't specifically fit into one of the other CatholicMatch rooms. Topics should not be overly serious as this is to be more of a "cafe setting."

Saint Peter's Square was created so that more people could be in the presence of the Pope and was named after Saint Peter, one of Jesus's apostles.
Learn More: Saint Peter

Jun 10th 2013 new
(quote) Jerry-730726 said: As we approach Father's Day I thought I would honor my Father as you are welcome to honor your own. (men and ladies...please share if you want)
Before telling about my own Dad, I want to wish ALL of you CM Dads.....HAPPY FATHERS DAY!
One thing I have ALWAYS remembered about my Dad.....was he put himself absolutely last in everything. When it came to providing for the family he would always put my Mom and the kids first. Even when he knew he needed new clothing or shoes....it was (in many cases) my Mom who would remind him. I even remember he couldn't quit a job until later in life...even when some jobs became unbearable...because he was "check to check" My Dad was one "complete" gentleman~
Your turn.......

My Father was a great man Raised 6 Children Married to my Mom for 42 years 11 Grand Children. He was always my hero and a man who made me who I am today He was a Navy vet and was the reason I went in and spent 9 years active duty and Retired from the Reserves . My Dad passed away in 2005 from Cancer and there is not a day where I don't miss him and think about him. I miss his advice in my life. God Bless and keep my Daddy everyday in your loving embrace. God I miss that Man.
Jun 10th 2013 new
(quote) Steven-94269 said: My Father was a great man Raised 6 Children Married to my Mom for 42 years 11 Grand Children. He was always my hero and a man who made me who I am today He was a Navy vet and was the reason I went in and spent 9 years active duty and Retired from the Reserves . My Dad passed away in 2005 from Cancer and there is not a day where I don't miss him and think about him. I miss his advice in my life. God Bless and keep my Daddy everyday in your loving embrace. God I miss that Man.
Thank you for your wonderful post Steven! I can echo your sentiments. I too miss "Pop" every single day. However, I am happy for him now because he suffered much near the end~
Jun 10th 2013 new
Steven, your post was so heartwarming and full of love and respect. Very nice to read such a tribute to your Dad.

Eileen
Jun 11th 2013 new
Jerry,

i so enjoy all your wonderful stories about your Dad and remember him on that video of your parent's anniversary that you posted. It showed his debonair personality not to mention his dancing skills.

My dad was older when they had us kids. He was a hard worker and even though he was distant at times, I always knew he loved me. I remember this one summer when us girls were young teenagers and we begged him to take us to the ocean. My mother bought a new suit and swim trunks for Dad, we packed up all our new beach accessories and toys for my brother and headed off to New London Ocean Beach. We had all settled our spaces on the two blankets and headed to the shore with such excitement. Of course, we were all riding the waves back to shore and we noticed Mom and Dad still standing in the shallow water. Dad was totally green...seasick from watching the waves go in and out and Mom was just trying to keep him standing!

You might think that would be the last time we all went to the beach but it was not the case but it was the last time he put that suit on. He would walk the boardwalk and sit at the concession stands after that. Funny how you always jog my memory with your kind threads.

Eileen

Jun 11th 2013 new
Jerry, thank you for starting this thread! Your stories about your parents make me cry..but in a good way! Thank you for sharing! So much love and respect there and I have no doubt that you are the man you are today because of them!

Hope you don't mind if I share a few stories about my Dad, my sweet, sweet, Dad who I am so lucky to still have in my life today. Growing up, he was always there for dinner and he was always with us in Church on Sunday. But he worked so hard in a hot factory every day and after dinner he was always outside, cutting the grass, etc. It was a stress reliever for him. But he was always so tired. Early to bed, early to rise. So we didn't get to spend a whole lot of quality time with him. We didn't have a whole lot growing up, but he made my sister and I always feel special and helped us realize that love and family were all we ever needed. Oh, and his devotion to the Catholic faith. How amazing!

Jump to 6 years ago, and my Mom passed away suddenly and tragically from a blood clot after a simple knee replacement. His wife, whom he was married to almost 51 years was suddenly gone. They had so many plans for their retirement, but somehow, God had other plans.

I'm SO PROUD of him for hanging in there every day and for being stronger than I could ever be if I lost a spouse. And the nice thing is that our relationship since my Mom's passing has blossomed and we are making up for lost time!

So, Happy Father's Day Pop, and Happy Father's Day to all the CM Dad's and Grand Dad's out there. And Jerry, last but not least Happy Father's Day to you, and to your terrific Dad! God Bless!

Jun 11th 2013 new
(quote) Eileen-890971 said: Jerry,

i so enjoy all your wonderful stories about your Dad and remember him on that video of your parent's anniversary that you posted. It showed his debonair personality not to mention his dancing skills.

My dad was older when they had us kids. He was a hard worker and even though he was distant at times, I always knew he loved me. I remember this one summer when us girls were young teenagers and we begged him to take us to the ocean. My mother bought a new suit and swim trunks for Dad, we packed up all our new beach accessories and toys for my brother and headed off to New London Ocean Beach. We had all settled our spaces on the two blankets and headed to the shore with such excitement. Of course, we were all riding the waves back to shore and we noticed Mom and Dad still standing in the shallow water. Dad was totally green...seasick from watching the waves go in and out and Mom was just trying to keep him standing!

You might think that would be the last time we all went to the beach but it was not the case but it was the last time he put that suit on. He would walk the boardwalk and sit at the concession stands after that. Funny how you always jog my memory with your kind threads.

Eileen

Eileen, thank you so much for your always kind comments. Your story of your dad is very heartwarming. And I DO understand the "distant" part. I just think they (our fathers) had a lot of responsibility and perhaps couldn't devote the attention they wanted to...to us
The video (of my Mom and Dad) was done almost exactly 20 years ago. That was their 50th anniversary. If they were married now it would have been 70 years last week! (June 5th)
Jun 11th 2013 new
(quote) Becki-568712 said: Jerry, thank you for starting this thread! Your stories about your parents make me cry..but in a good way! Thank you for sharing! So much love and respect there and I have no doubt that you are the man you are today because of them!

Hope you don't mind if I share a few stories about my Dad, my sweet, sweet, Dad who I am so lucky to still have in my life today. Growing up, he was always there for dinner and he was always with us in Church on Sunday. But he worked so hard in a hot factory every day and after dinner he was always outside, cutting the grass, etc. It was a stress reliever for him. But he was always so tired. Early to bed, early to rise. So we didn't get to spend a whole lot of quality time with him. We didn't have a whole lot growing up, but he made my sister and I always feel special and helped us realize that love and family were all we ever needed. Oh, and his devotion to the Catholic faith. How amazing!

Jump to 6 years ago, and my Mom passed away suddenly and tragically from a blood clot after a simple knee replacement. His wife, whom he was married to almost 51 years was suddenly gone. They had so many plans for their retirement, but somehow, God had other plans.

I'm SO PROUD of him for hanging in there every day and for being stronger than I could ever be if I lost a spouse. And the nice thing is that our relationship since my Mom's passing has blossomed and we are making up for lost time!

So, Happy Father's Day Pop, and Happy Father's Day to all the CM Dad's and Grand Dad's out there. And Jerry, last but not least Happy Father's Day to you, and to your terrific Dad! God Bless!

Awww.....thank you Becki! They were indeed special. And YOU ARE lucky to have your dad. You are experiencing the same thing I did when we lost our Mom...and my Dad and I became very close.
I am glad you are cherishing this time with your dad~
Jun 11th 2013 new
I can remember when I served Mass....occasionally they would have a "Father/Son" breakfast. It would begin with an earlier Mass (than the 6:30...perhaps 5:30) And the dads would serve along side their sons. I laugh about this now...because it is STILL funny. Since it was indeed an earlier time to get up....my Dad for some reason was more "half-asleep" than normal. My first laugh was we were filling the cruet bottles with water and wine. Instead of putting the proper glass stopper in the top of the wine cruet...my Dad was trying to "stuff" the wine cork in it!! All the while, looking so sleepy eyed! I whispered..."Dad, use this glass one" (which easily went in) Then later while we were kneeling it was all I could do to keep from laughing on the altar (huge no..no) Because I was watching him "nod off" while we were kneeling!
The only time he REALLY came awake was when I rang the bells the first time. (that did it)
But before that...when I was pouring water of the pastor's hands (washing of the hands) Dad dropped the hand towel a couple of times! So funny..
Anyway...it was great....and he definitely started looking more awake by the time Mass had ended and we were headed for donuts and his customary black coffee. (a couple of those got him going!)
I recalled this occasion in the last 15 months...and all he remembered was that he was so sleepy! I said, "Yup....you sure were!"
Jun 11th 2013 new
My Father and I used to fish and sometimes hunt together. (though we probably fished more often) At one time I belonged to a "lake club" and was able to get accomodations to stay at the club's private lodge. Many times my brothers would come as well. One particular time it was just he and I who stayed the weekend. We were on a small boat and floating while fishing in a cove. We were not having much luck. So I said, "Pop, I'm gonna pray and ask that we catch some fish" He said, "I don't think you can just pray to catch fish. Besides, this is so relaxing I don't care if we EVER catch fish this trip" I said my prayer. Not long after that I pulled one in. Then another. He sort of "sat up" then and said, "Did you say a prayer?" I said, Well sure I did! And so?" He was so funny. He said, "Like I said, I'm gonna pray that I catch some fish!" It was awhile....but he did catch a few. But, we didn't catch many that day or the next. But it was nice being with dear old Dad to spend some quality time together~
Jun 11th 2013 new
I was very lucky to have two great parents. My mom passed on but my dad has always been there to give me the best help or advice he can. He can be a bit stubborn at times but he's a rock I've always been able to rely on.
Posts 11 - 20 of 77