Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for general discussion that doesn't specifically fit into one of the other CatholicMatch rooms. Topics should not be overly serious as this is to be more of a "cafe setting."

Saint Peter's Square was created so that more people could be in the presence of the Pope and was named after Saint Peter, one of Jesus's apostles.
Learn More: Saint Peter

Jun 11th 2013 new
Hi everyone! Thank you all for posting. I am also going through the pain as well. My Dad passed away on 12/17/07. I know it was a longtime ago, but, I still feel like it was yesterday. My Dad worked until he was 70 years old. He worked more than 80 hours a week for more than 40 years. He worked so much he never enjoyed anything. Till this day, this is what hurts the most that he never enjoyed anything. He even worked the first full year he had cancer.

However, there are several valuable lessons I have learned out of this:
-Always refer to someone who passed away in the PRESENT tense, not past, as they are always watching over us.
-Tell them your loved ones passed away, NOT died.
-ALWAYS CELEBRATE their lives, not mourn.
-Always pray to your loved ones, as a prayer is basically a phone call to heaven.

God bless you all!

Jun 12th 2013 new
(quote) Elizabeth-726465 said: Hi Jerry,
Thank you, this is a great post. I am so blessed to still have my father. He is awesome and cute! So many of the stories here are about great Catholic dads making sure they went to Mass and loving their mother.

I did not have that. My father was not a good husband after 5 of the 10 years of marriage to my mother and he didn't pay child support. But he is still my hero. He had the humility to beg his way (believe me , he didn't have to beg, I dropped everything and called him back). He has tried to make up for all the lost years in the last 6 and for that I am grateful. Before he was back in my life there was not a night when I was on my knees praying to God that he would come to his senses and find the daughter that adored him BECAUSE he was my father.

I tried for years to find him. But with him and my stepmom living in Tijuana , MX. it was not easy. I finally gave up. then out of the blue one morning , I got THE CALL. Since then, we have been closer than close. he loves me, Tells me so everytime we talk, tells me I'm beautiful when I know I look like a seahag. Tells me he's so proud of me for getting my degree and that even if I worked at 7-11 he'd be as proud as if I were a doctor. When I cry on the phone he cries with me and my dad is not a crier. When I go see him, the whole house is fixed for me; my kind of food in the fridge, special fan in my room, money under my pillow and always looks at me with such pride.

My dad is 78 years old, He's a Mason :(, I pray everynite for his conversion but I also know that there will not only be Catholics in heaven. :) but does believe in the gospel and The Trinity and talks about Jesus. But he is the love of my life. We talk 3X a week and whenever I call and say "Hi Dad" he bursts out laughing with a big joyous laugh and says "Hi Leslie" (long story...:) :) Whenever we talk, half of it is spent laughing. No one loves to laugh more than my dad. I thank my Sweet Jesus and Father in heaven that I have my dad back. Jesus loves his daughter so much that he didn't want her to be without her earthly father any longer. I am so spoiled. My Abba in Heaven spoils me rotten and Oh I am so grateful. That father-daughter bond is so important! Of all the 6 billion fathers, Jesus gave me the one that was perfect for me!
Hi Elizabeth,
Awesome story about your father and your "open arms" to receive him. You will remember this quality time you've had with your father. Thank you so much for sharing~
Jun 12th 2013 new
Peter this is so true. I DO feel like my Father has never left sometimes. Thank you for this reminder that death is a celebration of life~
Jun 12th 2013 new
(quote) Jerry-730726 said: Dear Fellow Texan, What a wonderful post...as usual. I think your father was special and so are YOU. You ARE a "chip off the old block" (I can tell) Anyone from the "greatest generation (your dad and mine) were people you wanted to listen to... because they came up through tough times! Inspite of your dad's 8th grade education....people like him are/were very smart. I know you look up to him with respect.....as he is looking down on you with pride. Again we all learn from others....and in the two years I've been on here I've come to respect you as a father and a man. Thank you for teaching me....about what a real gentleman is! God Bless, and.....HAPPY FATHERS DAY!!!!
Jerry, thank you as always for the very kind words. My dad was very smart just not smart in an academic way. Many relatives with far better formal educations would come to him for advice on on projects they were paying someone many dollars to complete. He could read and write and knew the basic math skills. He drew up his own plans for his house and the architect could not find anything wrong with it. I still have those plans he drew up at the dining room table.

I remember him saying during the depression, relatives from Houston would come to his parents farm in Plantersville (about 60 miles northwest of Houston) every weekend. His dad would make sure each family had enough food to take back until the next weekend. I also remember my dad saying that handshakes were as valid as written contracts. Gosh, how the times changed over the years.

Hope you, your dad and all the dads in this country have a blessed and wonderful Father's Day.

Blessings always, Praying Praying Praying

Leon

Jun 12th 2013 new
(quote) Leon-593843 said: Jerry, thank you as always for the very kind words. My dad was very smart just not smart in an academic way. Many relatives with far better formal educations would come to him for advice on on projects they were paying someone many dollars to complete. He could read and write and knew the basic math skills. He drew up his own plans for his house and the architect could not find anything wrong with it. I still have those plans he drew up at the dining room table.

I remember him saying during the depression, relatives from Houston would come to his parents farm in Plantersville (about 60 miles northwest of Houston) every weekend. His dad would make sure each family had enough food to take back until the next weekend. I also remember my dad saying that handshakes were as valid as written contracts. Gosh, how the times changed over the years.

Hope you, your dad and all the dads in this country have a blessed and wonderful Father's Day.

Blessings always,

Leon

Yup....agreed Leon. My Dad told me the same thing. "A man's word was his bond...and a handshake solidified the deal."
I told my Dad...." Yeah well Pop....nowadays a guy can go "on the wobble" even WITH a contract he has signed!"
He said, "Well it isn't like it used to be"
I recall you talking about the Depression. My Dad said....seeing grown men standing in soup lines with tears rolling down their faces made quite an impression on him as a boy.
I can tell our dads were "cut from the same cloth"~
Jun 12th 2013 new
Jerry,

i have laughed and cried, rejoiced and felt humbled by all the wonderful posts to Father's Day remembrance. I love all the stories from so many people who have touched my heart.

Happy Father's Day to all of you, here and in heaven.

With all my heart,

Eileen.
Jun 12th 2013 new
I did not always get along with my dad, but not a day goes by I don't miss him. He was a large man and he worked hard all his life; but at 65 he was able to retire and for the last 7 years of his life fulfilled his dream of living somewhere other than New Jersey. He was a very talkative and friendly man and he made friends easily. As anyone who has ever met me knows, I am the exact opposite. He and my Mom were married for 50 years and for their anniversary all us kids and grand-kids sent them to Las Vegas. It was the only time I can remember my father flying. He loved to travel though and instilled in all of us a love for travel also. He lived long enough to see his grand-son marry (he died less than a month later); something I am sure he never thought imaginable, but I believe he would be proud of the man he's become. I think he would be amused his grand-daughter continued her education and became a lawyer (she does love to argue). He also got to know his great-grand-daughter and 10 years later, at the age of 16, she still remembers him. He had that kind of effect on people.

So Happy Fathers Day Dad. I know you're smiling down on us. I'm just sad for all the little one's who didn't get to meet you. Matthew and Samuel, Norah and Elliot. They never got to know you, but I hope and pray they will never get tired of the stories.
Jun 12th 2013 new
(quote) Allen-311949 said: I did not always get along with my dad, but not a day goes by I don't miss him. He was a large man and he worked hard all his life; but at 65 he was able to retire and for the last 7 years of his life fulfilled his dream of living somewhere other than New Jersey. He was a very talkative and friendly man and he made friends easily. As anyone who has ever met me knows, I am the exact opposite. He and my Mom were married for 50 years and for their anniversary all us kids and grand-kids sent them to Las Vegas. It was the only time I can remember my father flying. He loved to travel though and instilled in all of us a love for travel also. He lived long enough to see his grand-son marry (he died less than a month later); something I am sure he never thought imaginable, but I believe he would be proud of the man he's become. I think he would be amused his grand-daughter continued her education and became a lawyer (she does love to argue). He also got to know his great-grand-daughter and 10 years later, at the age of 16, she still remembers him. He had that kind of effect on people.

So Happy Fathers Day Dad. I know you're smiling down on us. I'm just sad for all the little one's who didn't get to meet you. Matthew and Samuel, Norah and Elliot. They never got to know you, but I hope and pray they will never get tired of the stories.
Outstanding post Allen.....thank you so much for sharing~
Jun 12th 2013 new
I remember taking my Dad to his first horse race. It was a blast watching him....watch them. And as usual was a completely hilarious adventure. He had studied (handicapped) the horses the best he could before they ran. I don't recall the race...but before one race he picked a long shot. I said, "Pop...as conservative as you are....what makes you think that horse will come in for you?" He said, something like....."He is overdue...and has been running good lately" Well... this is hilarious, his horse did come in first but "threw" the jockey not long after the last turn to the stretch! Yes, a riderless horse came in first!! I had to cover my mouth at my Dad's reaction laughing He said, "Oh maaaann, I knew it had MY name on it!"
Jun 12th 2013 new
HAPPY FATHER'S DAY to you, Jerry!!! and to all CM Dads!

My Dad will always be my hero! hug hug hug theheart
Posts 31 - 40 of 77