Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for general discussion that doesn't specifically fit into one of the other CatholicMatch rooms. Topics should not be overly serious as this is to be more of a "cafe setting."

Saint Peter's Square was created so that more people could be in the presence of the Pope and was named after Saint Peter, one of Jesus's apostles.
Learn More: Saint Peter

Jun 13th 2013 new
(quote) Mary-363093 said: Like many others, I too miss my father every day. He passed away in my arms in Sept 07 of a massive heart attack.

He was my hero - which is how many girls (of all ages) view their fathers. They are our first and usually finest example of what a good faith-filled husband, father, sibling, uncle, family member and friend should be. He was well-liked by everyone, led by example (not only by word, although he was an excellent speaker), and showed our family every day how much he loved us. He was a Christian in everything he did, especially in his business dealings - he refused to get into the 'buy their business under the table' games. He worked hard to support his wife and 5 kids - he took 12 years to complete his college degree via night classes. He didn't compare himself to others - nor did he judge others - he just tried to be the best version of himself every day.

His kindness and generosity was constant, yet most of the time it was unknown to others. I can't count how many "did you ever know that he helped me with xxxxxx" stories I heard after he died - things I never knew before. He would do anything to lift another person up - lend a hand, give money, send flowers or give a gift just because he saw it and thought the recipient would appreciate it. He never expected anything in return - he was simply being a kind man. He had the gift of seeing a need before it was apparent to others - and he would try to find a way to improve the situation - even if it was with a simple gesture.

I still feel him helping me with figuring out what to do in various situations, I still feel him watching over me. He taught me to live my life thinking of others, to always find the positive, the silver lining in every situation - and to cherish every day, every moment with friends and loved ones - because we never really know if it will be our last encounter with them. While I'm truly happy he is in his eternal home, I miss being his Princess.

May God bless all fathers this Father's Day - those still with us and those watching over us from Heaven.

(GREAT thread, Jerry. Everyone has such wonderful stories and memories - thank you to ALL for sharing.)
Thank you for sharing, Mary. hugs
Jun 13th 2013 new
(quote) Kate-596166 said: Thank you Jerry so much for this topic.

I have a tough time each year around Father's day because I miss my dad so much. His name was Franjo (Francis). He was a man of prayer, a devout Catholic, a leader, protector of his family, a farmer, an honest, trustworthy and hardworking man. My father was a true Catholic who lived his faith, walked his faith, and died in his faith. I lost him a long time ago but it feels like it was yesterday. There are so many things I wish I could have told my father. The pain that I feel sometimes is unbearable still after so many years. I miss the sound of his voice and laughter. I also miss the talks we used to have and the advice he used to give me. When I was growing up in a small village in Croatia, we had to go to daily mass. We would pray before and after meals. Evening prayer was so long I would fall asleep most of the time. My father was always leading the prayer. During the day, when the church bell sounded off at noon time to remind people to pray, my father would go down on his knees and pray "The Angelus." Anyone around him at that time would follow along. My sister and I used to go with my father to the field where he was working. We would try to help him, but we would always end up playing hide and seek in the corn field. On the way to the field we would meet neighbors and my father would stop for a little chat. They would always tell my father how much I looked like him. He would just smile and pat me on my head. I was so proud of that. My parents loved each other very much. There was a gaze between my parents I did not understand as a child. Now, I know the meaning of that gaze. A sacramental and sacred marital bond between man and woman and at the center of their marriage was God. While my dad was dying surrounded by his wife, children and close family, we asked him what we could do to ease his suffering. His eyes would be closed and he would tell us to pray. After a while, he would open up his eyes and look up towards the crucifix on the wall and say, "Only He will help me." I remember him pointing at the crucified Lord and those being his last words. I loved, admired and respected my father so much. He was my hero. I have never met a man like him since. Just by how he lived his life and what kind of man he was, I see my Dad was like a saint. Dad I miss you very much and will continue to love you forever!
Kate,

A good accounting of the times in Croatia when we were younger there. Just think, It appears we lived but less than 20 kilometers from one another when growing up, but never crossed paths, until here on CM.

I lived only but a mile from the Dakovo Cathedral in Slavonija, and remember well stopping all activity at noon too and praying the Angelus when the Cathedral bells would ring and be heard for miles and miles; and the prayers of Divine Mercy at 3pm; and Rosary after dinner ... and also at every country cross-road there would be a station of the cross of one sort or another, reminding us to always keep God with us. Now, those are mostly gone and the practices no longer practiced. Sigh.

It is good to read what you have to say about your father. I recall mine too when there, he too would take his hat off and get down on his knees at noon. In our case, as a family, mom always led the prayers at dad's instruction to do so.

Well, I am blessed to still have my dad. I am realizing that I am not giving him the due recognition he deserves, but that is likely just because I still have him here. If I thank him now, than the good Lord will have less to thank him for later, is how I see it. Yeah, ok, I know... :)

My most fond memory of my dad is the first day of school for me. He always worked it seems. But on that day, he took leave from work, came home, took me by the hand and walked me to school, about 1/2km away. He wasn't much of a talker. When we were about to pass folks along our walk, he grabbed my hand firmly and swung me up on his shoulders, then said to me. "Son, you are about to go further than your father has ever been, do me proud!" . I was his firstborn; I owe so much to him. He has laid down so much work for us and far exceeded any expectation anyone ever had of him. It really hasn't been that I've made him proud as he has made me be so proud of him. His sacrifice for us, mom and those he knew spans his lifetime. I trust God will not let his labor go unrewarded. He is suffering with early stages of dementia now.

So, ah, an interesting way for me to conclude my time here.

God bless!

Jun 13th 2013 new
So many beautiful stories from all of you, and well-written, also!

I've been reading this forum for a couple days, wanting to share something specific. I am lucky enough to still have my father here and to have the gift of his presence in my life. As I have grown up, my father has been so many things to me - protector, disciplinarian, teacher, banker, confidant, refuge, spiritual advisor, counselor, friend... About ten years ago, on the occasion of my father's 50th birthday, we gathered family and friends to throw him a big surprise party. There were many gifts given at that party, but the highlight of the evening was a three-ring binder full of letters and stories written about my father by anyone who wished to contribute. My submission was an attempt to put into words who my father was to me in the form of a poem...

A Father

A Father plays many roles in the development of his child

A Father is the most Skilled person in a young boys world.
He can do anything.

As time passes, a Father is the source of Discipline to an adolescent.
He is firm, but always fair.

A Father provides a wealth of Knowledge to a student.
He is well-versed in many subjects.

As the student enters adulthood, a Father becomes the Mentor of a young man.
He teaches Life, Love, and Charity by example.

But most important of all his roles, a Father is always a Friend to his son.
He will listen and advise but he will never judge.

A Father is someone to be Admired.
Someone like my Dad.

-KJK

Jun 14th 2013 new
(quote) Keith-585743 said: So many beautiful stories from all of you, and well-written, also!

I've been reading this forum for a couple days, wanting to share something specific. I am lucky enough to still have my father here and to have the gift of his presence in my life. As I have grown up, my father has been so many things to me - protector, disciplinarian, teacher, banker, confidant, refuge, spiritual advisor, counselor, friend... About ten years ago, on the occasion of my father's 50th birthday, we gathered family and friends to throw him a big surprise party. There were many gifts given at that party, but the highlight of the evening was a three-ring binder full of letters and stories written about my father by anyone who wished to contribute. My submission was an attempt to put into words who my father was to me in the form of a poem...

A Father

A Father plays many roles in the development of his child

A Father is the most Skilled person in a young boys world.
He can do anything.

As time passes, a Father is the source of Discipline to an adolescent.
He is firm, but always fair.

A Father provides a wealth of Knowledge to a student.
He is well-versed in many subjects.

As the student enters adulthood, a Father becomes the Mentor of a young man.
He teaches Life, Love, and Charity by example.

But most important of all his roles, a Father is always a Friend to his son.
He will listen and advise but he will never judge.

A Father is someone to be Admired.
Someone like my Dad.

-KJK

Thank you so much for sharing Keith! Very nice post about your dad. The part about "firm but fair" reminds me so much of my own Father~
Jun 14th 2013 new
(quote) John-971967 said: Kate,

A good accounting of the times in Croatia when we were younger there. Just think, It appears we lived but less than 20 kilometers from one another when growing up, but never crossed paths, until here on CM.

I lived only but a mile from the Dakovo Cathedral in Slavonija, and remember well stopping all activity at noon too and praying the Angelus when the Cathedral bells would ring and be heard for miles and miles; and the prayers of Divine Mercy at 3pm; and Rosary after dinner ... and also at every country cross-road there would be a station of the cross of one sort or another, reminding us to always keep God with us. Now, those are mostly gone and the practices no longer practiced. Sigh.

It is good to read what you have to say about your father. I recall mine too when there, he too would take his hat off and get down on his knees at noon. In our case, as a family, mom always led the prayers at dad's instruction to do so.

Well, I am blessed to still have my dad. I am realizing that I am not giving him the due recognition he deserves, but that is likely just because I still have him here. If I thank him now, than the good Lord will have less to thank him for later, is how I see it. Yeah, ok, I know... :)

My most fond memory of my dad is the first day of school for me. He always worked it seems. But on that day, he took leave from work, came home, took me by the hand and walked me to school, about 1/2km away. He wasn't much of a talker. When we were about to pass folks along our walk, he grabbed my hand firmly and swung me up on his shoulders, then said to me. "Son, you are about to go further than your father has ever been, do me proud!" . I was his firstborn; I owe so much to him. He has laid down so much work for us and far exceeded any expectation anyone ever had of him. It really hasn't been that I've made him proud as he has made me be so proud of him. His sacrifice for us, mom and those he knew spans his lifetime. I trust God will not let his labor go unrewarded. He is suffering with early stages of dementia now.

So, ah, an interesting way for me to conclude my time here.

God bless!

My word John, what a profound tribute! Thank you very much for sharing this with us!
Jun 14th 2013 new
(quote) Mary-363093 said: Like many others, I too miss my father every day. He passed away in my arms in Sept 07 of a massive heart attack.

He was my hero - which is how many girls (of all ages) view their fathers. They are our first and usually finest example of what a good faith-filled husband, father, sibling, uncle, family member and friend should be. He was well-liked by everyone, led by example (not only by word, although he was an excellent speaker), and showed our family every day how much he loved us. He was a Christian in everything he did, especially in his business dealings - he refused to get into the 'buy their business under the table' games. He worked hard to support his wife and 5 kids - he took 12 years to complete his college degree via night classes. He didn't compare himself to others - nor did he judge others - he just tried to be the best version of himself every day.

His kindness and generosity was constant, yet most of the time it was unknown to others. I can't count how many "did you ever know that he helped me with xxxxxx" stories I heard after he died - things I never knew before. He would do anything to lift another person up - lend a hand, give money, send flowers or give a gift just because he saw it and thought the recipient would appreciate it. He never expected anything in return - he was simply being a kind man. He had the gift of seeing a need before it was apparent to others - and he would try to find a way to improve the situation - even if it was with a simple gesture.

I still feel him helping me with figuring out what to do in various situations, I still feel him watching over me. He taught me to live my life thinking of others, to always find the positive, the silver lining in every situation - and to cherish every day, every moment with friends and loved ones - because we never really know if it will be our last encounter with them. While I'm truly happy he is in his eternal home, I miss being his Princess.

May God bless all fathers this Father's Day - those still with us and those watching over us from Heaven.

(GREAT thread, Jerry. Everyone has such wonderful stories and memories - thank you to ALL for sharing.)
Thank you very much for sharing this Mary! Your father, like mine....seems like one of those very special men who come along just every so often! I know this. After having attended some of those Indy events which you help put together....everyone leaves with a smile, and is "hug certified"! So I now know where all that kindness in you comes from!
Jun 15th 2013 new
My father worked very hard and under trying circumstances,He always put his family first.
The working conditions were harsh.He had to cross over state lines,when the company
shifted the operation.
His love was always present in his eyes and his actions.
I was fortunate to have him in my life and am sure that he smiles down upon us...
Jun 15th 2013 new
Happy Father's Day to all of you dear CM men. You are all very special! You have the opportunity to influence our next generations as our fathers have done. God has charged you with the task to pass on knowledge of our Loving God and Father in Heaven.
pray with you kids. Teach by example, compassion, forgiveness, and patient love.
Give them freedom and boundaries, praise and expectations, structure and leeway.
Give them quality time instead of money and expensive toys.
Write your kids letters! At least every week!!
Have one waiting for them when they come to your house.
Remember that kids remember repetitive actions. Maybe you can start some special tradition for you and your kids.
At Christmas make salt dough or wood ornaments with them. (And let them make one for mom if they ask).
Tell campfire stories. Use your imagination. Even if it is on the floor of your apartment!
Get Legos and play with them together! Play words with friends or letterpress or some other game on your smart phones if your kids are older.
Make plans for opening day at the ball park each year.
I know that it is hard to co-parent.
Don't let anyone say you are a part-time Dad. You are not!!
you are always their Dad!
And your kids will have fond memories of their Dad!
Jun 15th 2013 new
I wanna share this with you. My Dad will celebrate his 79th Birthday on the 20th of June and I still have to write another poem for him. This one was written 2 years ago when I was still in Afghanistan. Last year, we prepared a video message for him. This year, I may write another poem or song for him. I still have 5 days to prepare. :) But I am happy to share this with you in honoring my father. ------ Pa, When I go home, I will treat you at Starbucks, And I will smile because like mom, you'll say: Anak (my daughter), it's expensive here. Let's go home and have coffee there. But you see, It's just my way Of thanking you for doing the same. When we were kids, and wanted the best of everything. When I get home, I'll give you a big hug. And kiss your forehead as I whisper I love You. And I'll close my eyes and remember Those wonderful moments with you when I was a young girl. You were never too showy. But it was you who taught us how to live simply. And to love and care for each other, Was you and mom's golden saying. Pa, thanks for loving Mama Until her last breathe and forever. For taking care of us, And for being our role model. Now that you are old. Let me hold your hand. And talk with you about anything. As we gaze upon the stars. When I go home, let me do these things. But for now, let me send my hugs and kisses. As I wish you a Happy Father's Day and a Happy Birthday. May you live longer to be with us still. I love you, Papa! ----- This was read to Papa when we had a special party for him. My siblings told me he loved it. I have not been home for almost 3 years and I only am able to video call them through skype or ym. I miss him so. He's done so much for us. And he's also the father of our village, still serving as the elected leader of our community for almost 20 years now after his early retirement as Police Officer when he was 60. Since then, he's not only served as our family's patriarch but our village as well. I am lucky to have a great father!
Jun 15th 2013 new
Uhuh... it didnt turn out the way I formatted it in words... :) Anyway, I forgot to add: Happy Father's Day to all CM Fathers out here!
Posts 51 - 60 of 77