Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match!

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for general discussion that doesn't specifically fit into one of the other CatholicMatch rooms. Topics should not be overly serious as this is to be more of a "cafe setting."

Saint Peter's Square was created so that more people could be in the presence of the Pope and was named after Saint Peter, one of Jesus's apostles.
Learn More: Saint Peter

Jun 15th 2013 new
(quote) Lesil-840134 said: Uhuh... it didnt turn out the way I formatted it in words... :) Anyway, I forgot to add: Happy Father's Day to all CM Fathers out here!
Thank you Lesil and thanks for sharing this. What a wonderful father yours must be.
Jun 15th 2013 new
(quote) Gerard-400247 said: My father worked very hard and under trying circumstances,He always put his family first.
The working conditions were harsh.He had to cross over state lines,when the company
shifted the operation.
His love was always present in his eyes and his actions.
I was fortunate to have him in my life and am sure that he smiles down upon us...
Thank you Gerard. Your dad probably liked hard work. Mine did. Even when he tried to retire...he got depressed and then went back to work consulting. He enjoyed feeling useful~
Jun 15th 2013 new
(quote) Christine-960631 said: Happy Father's Day to all of you dear CM men. You are all very special! You have the opportunity to influence our next generations as our fathers have done. God has charged you with the task to pass on knowledge of our Loving God and Father in Heaven.
pray with you kids. Teach by example, compassion, forgiveness, and patient love.
Give them freedom and boundaries, praise and expectations, structure and leeway.
Give them quality time instead of money and expensive toys.
Write your kids letters! At least every week!!
Have one waiting for them when they come to your house.
Remember that kids remember repetitive actions. Maybe you can start some special tradition for you and your kids.
At Christmas make salt dough or wood ornaments with them. (And let them make one for mom if they ask).
Tell campfire stories. Use your imagination. Even if it is on the floor of your apartment!
Get Legos and play with them together! Play words with friends or letterpress or some other game on your smart phones if your kids are older.
Make plans for opening day at the ball park each year.
I know that it is hard to co-parent.
Don't let anyone say you are a part-time Dad. You are not!!
you are always their Dad!
And your kids will have fond memories of their Dad!
Thank you Christine! I will share with everyone the following from my oldest son: "Hey Dad, I just want to know I am so thankful you are my father. You have taught me so much in life beginning with when I was a little kid. I now use some of what you instilled in me to help others....and you've taught me the power of prayer. Your soul, voice and heart speak to me every day. With this all said, Dad I'm 36 years old....and you are still my hero. And I love you!" I have to say I wasn't very "dry eyed" when I read this text~
Jun 15th 2013 new
Jerry, you are so fortunate that you can hear those words albeit written and they are a keepsake to your heart. I give your son kudos for letting you know how important you are in his life and I am certain number two son is in the wings with similar sentiment. They are a reflection of their father.

With much joy for the gifts in your life.

Eileen
Jun 15th 2013 new
My father was born and raised in Newfoundland, Canada and his first love was that of the sea. He left home at 16, signed on a Portuguese ship and was the only one who spoke English on board.

He spent his adult life working between being a seaman and a Iron worker in NYC. He was fearless as far as heights went and he never learned to swim.

Sometimes he would be on long voyages and gone for long periods of time and his homecoming always seemed like Christmas as there would be trinkets for all over the world.

Dad was a man of deep faith and a true Catholic. I remember growing up, if we missed Sunday Mass, you were not allowed to answer the door if a friend came to call. He never uttered an off color word or joke.

He had a wonderful sense of humor and could laugh at anything. Dad was also a fantastic cook, so when he was home the kitchen was his domain.

He was diagnosed with oral cancer while my mother was in hospital near death. He had 8 hour surgery and could not be told his wife of almost 50 years was dead and buried before he came home. It was his deep Catholic faith that sustained him and allowed him to accept and cope with life and his loss .

Dad was always my hero and I was a Daddy's girl. He was a short man but, cast a long shadow in my eyes.
Dad is gone since 1991 but, I still miss him....... Love you Dad, God bless and Happy Fathers Day in Heaven .

God bless all you Fathers and Grandfathers here on CM . Happy Father's Day Enjoy!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jun 15th 2013 new
(quote) Mary-924110 said: My father was born and raised in Newfoundland, Canada and his first love was that of the sea. He left home at 16, signed on a Portuguese ship and was the only one who spoke English on board.

He spent his adult life working between being a seaman and a Iron worker in NYC. He was fearless as far as heights went and he never learned to swim.

Sometimes he would be on long voyages and gone for long periods of time and his homecoming always seemed like Christmas as there would be trinkets for all over the world.

Dad was a man of deep faith and a true Catholic. I remember growing up, if we missed Sunday Mass, you were not allowed to answer the door if a friend came to call. He never uttered an off color word or joke.

He had a wonderful sense of humor and could laugh at anything. Dad was also a fantastic cook, so when he was home the kitchen was his domain.

He was diagnosed with oral cancer while my mother was in hospital near death. He had 8 hour surgery and could not be told his wife of almost 50 years was dead and buried before he came home. It was his deep Catholic faith that sustained him and allowed him to accept and cope with life and his loss .

Dad was always my hero and I was a Daddy's girl. He was a short man but, cast a long shadow in my eyes.
Dad is gone since 1991 but, I still miss him....... Love you Dad, God bless and Happy Fathers Day in Heaven .

God bless all you Fathers and Grandfathers here on CM . Happy Father's Day Enjoy!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mary, thank you....I am moved by this tribute to your father. Very good post~
Jun 15th 2013 new
(quote) Jerry-730726 said: Thank you Gerard. Your dad probably liked hard work. Mine did. Even when he tried to retire...he got depressed and then went back to work consulting. He enjoyed feeling useful~
My father used the garage as a workshop,on the weekends.In addition,he always kept gardens in the front and backyards.
Unfortunately,he was forced to retire and felt he needed to keep busy.It appears that our dads had similar work ethics.
Great topic,Jerry!
Jun 15th 2013 new
My brave father served his country during WWII and was shot down in his P-38 over Paris. He was captured by the Germans and spent the rest of the war at Stalag III in Germany. He was liberated on April 29, 1945 and reunited with my mother and brother in June of 1945. He was not only a brave soldier but a loving and caring father. I wish I had told him how proud I am to be his daughter before in died in 1995 as a result of his war injuries.
Jun 16th 2013 new
Thank you Jerry, and EVERYONE, for sharing the memories and love of your fathers. It is so heart-warming to hear how each one has been touched by God's love through an earthly father. heart Happy Father's Day to all of you!

I feel so blessed every day to still have my father (and mother!) at age 92. Although he feels imprisoned by his leg paralysis and near blindness, he continues to amaze me with his intelligence and social concern. He looks forward to each new day, eagerly anticipating whatever "new knowledge" may be revealed to him. He still likes to tinker with things, and troubleshoots problems for hours--even with his disabilities. If the air conditioner isn't functioning properly, he will take it apart, and use BOTH the magnifier eyeglasses AND a hand-held magnifying glass to look over parts. He masters common obstacles--how to move the transfer bench from his bedside to the bathtub, or how to arrange his bills so that he's sure they are paid on time. He perseveres at everything he tries, no matter how long it takes. He still scrutinizes my mother daily, noting if she appears tired or ill, and offers to get her a cup of coffee...Coffee

irked My father was never a man to use tender words or give hugs as we girls were growing up. In fact, he is still a very private man, raised in a strict home where PDA was NEVER allowed. I never saw my parents exchange a kiss until their 25th wedding anniversary--as Mama stepped off a train back from visiting her sister in New York. He had red roses for her...Before going to bed at night, my sister and I would go and give him a kiss on the cheek, and he'd smile and tell us to remember to say our prayers... Praying

scratchchin Yet, I remember his love in other ways -- as a little girl how he would hold my hand at the Navy Surplus Yards while he was looking for treasures; he'd take me to the zoo and put me on his shoulders so I could see the albino aligator(and ALWAYS bought the stinky little fish to feed the seals!); he'd stop for me to go potty and would try his best to line the seat with paper first--using TONS more than Mama ever did; he'd carry me upstairs as I drifted in and out of sleep after our outings, and then, when he knew no one else would be around, he'd gently kiss my cheek or forehead....the gruff, strong man DID have a loving way with his baby girl shhh . He was the one who shared his love of the stars with me, taking me out to watch Sputnik, Haley's Comet, and countless meteor showers. He taught me to wonder and appreciate everything in nature, and the cycles of the earth and seasons. He showed me how to love and understand animal behaviors. He helped me listen to the music made by insects, storms, and sea. He taught me how to skip a stone across a pond, how to spin pebbles from my fingers so they would "buzz", and how to cast out a fishing line! goldfish

sad When the father of my children was near death, my father cradled me in his arms and held me. He wept with me, and told me how much he wished he could take away the pain and make everything right again. He called me "Baby", and told me that he would take care of me and the girls. And he did, for several years, until I was able to be back up on my own again. When my parents celebrated their 60th anniversary, he looked around at all of the kids/grandkids/and great-grands, and shook his head, amazed at what he and Mama had created. He apologized to all of us, saying that there were some things he should have done differently now in hindsight, but he hoped that we all realized that he just tried to live his life by the Golden Rule, and that he really couldn't ask for more. Throughout the years, my father has maintained that he is an atheist, and my dear Mama has carried the burden of our family's faith instruction all that time. She has never given up praying for him. He nearly died a year ago, but he clawed his way back to life, and now has expressed his possible belief that there COULD be a Divine Creator....Perhaps his faith journey is nearing its destination... Praying

I am SO BLESSED to have him as my Daddy, and to reflect the love he has for me. hug

Jun 16th 2013 new
Beverly - beautiful post! rose

Happy Father's Day to ALL the great Dads out there! As we've shared in this thread - the influence of a Father makes a lasting impression. Sounds like many of us were blessed with wonderful faith-filled men who led the family with love, kindness, and discipline when needed. heart

May you all know how truly special you are to your children.

(And as a side note to the single dads - ladies really DO notice and appreciate a good involved father. It's heartwarming.) hug
Posts 61 - 70 of 77