Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

Discussion related to living as a Catholic in the single state of life. As long as a topic is being discussed from the perspective of a single Catholic then it will be on-topic.

Tobias and Sarah's story is from the Book of Tobit, and his journey is guided by Saint Raphael.
Learn More: Tobias & Sarah as led by Saint Raphael

Jun 14th 2013 new

Very well put, Joan. smile
Jun 14th 2013 new
Well you should be realistically picky. I won't date people who aren't christians or share my values. If your a regular joe but want a supermodel realistically that's not going to happen. Just as if your a regular girl waiting for prince charming to swoop in that's not going to happen either. Kate Middleton is the only one I know of recently who got a prince and she had to wait awhile to get him.
Jun 14th 2013 new
(quote) Rich-180042 said: the purpose of satire is to effect change. satire often employs irony. irony, as defined in the movie Reality Bites, is '...when the actual meaning is the complete opposite from the literal meaning.' it's good enough for jazz and a quick post here.

the author of the original piece would have done everyone a favor by using 'Or...' as a paragraph on its own and not using the number four for his move from the satirical to the truly intended meaning. using the number four makes it seem like it should be a continution of the previous three when it's actually the 'complete opposite' of them.
Got to agree with Rich. I have to say, I had to read this several times to get it. But it's a satire, and obviously the author wants to emphasize the one and only correct answer is number 4. The others are what "society at large" thinks, not what the author thinks. And as Rich said, he did a poor job of making this point clear.

My pastor puts it another way. Love is not a feeling, but a choice. I choose you. Once for all time. And if someday (heaven forfend) I should fall out of "that loving feeling" with you for a while, even a long while, welcome to life. I must work at it, not expect it to fall in my lap. And ask for God's help.

P.S. Are there circumstances where even the patience of Job is insufficient? Sure. Alcoholism. Spousal abuse. Repetitive infidelity. In my own case, I found myself thinking much more clearly, and with more conviction, when I talked to my pastor.

Jun 15th 2013 new
(quote) Matt-61677 said: ...after two years there should still be fun (....
If you do it right, there should still be fun 40+ years later.
Jun 15th 2013 new
(quote) Sara-979131 said: I agree that it was unclear in parts, but I think he is making the point that numbers 1, 2, 3 are not healthy options. I am not sure why he is so cynical about the idea of soul mates. When I desire a soul mate, I am not necessarily looking for perfection (as he defines it: uber sexy, filthy rich, high class....) .
I am also wondering why he is critical about having sexual compatibility. Wouldn't that naturally occur when you find a good spouse?
Rachel and Sara,
Yes, i agree with your understanding of his sarcasm. It was funny although not as clear as could be desired.

No woman on this site expects perfection, i'm sure, we just portray what our preferences are and i myself commonly admit that, "i'm no superwoman!"

i do agree with you that physical compatibility could come naturally but it isn't even necessary as we are all women educated enough to be able to read so can learn what would be best both physically and spiritually with the marriage bed for the future "soul mate or superman."
Posts 21 - 25 of 25