Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for discussion related to learning about the faith (Catechetics), defense of the Faith (Apologetics), the Liturgy and canon law, motivated by a desire to grow closer to Christ or to bring someone else closer.

Saint Augustine of Hippo is considered on of the greatest Christian thinkers of all time and the Doctor of the Church.
Learn More: Saint Augustine

Modesty is a Virtue

Jun 15th 2013 new
I just got told off by a guy who pretended to be gentleman on CM, for choosing not to wear shorts or even pants unless it's for working out.
Look, if you have a problem with women being modest, men, keep it to yourself.

There are too many men on here calling themselves "Catholic" and "gentlemen" that really seem to be neither.
Jun 15th 2013 new
How dare he? Tell me where he lives and I'll ... I'll ... stuff a pie jn his shirt pocket.
Jun 15th 2013 new
Funny, but it really hurt my feelings and it was completely unnecessary. If a man doesn't like a woman's modesty, that says a lot about the man. If it makes him uncomfortable, then he should just say nothing and move on. For a man to go out of his way and be combative about a woman's modesty, well, that's just pretty scary. Modesty is the virtue that protects purity, well, according to the Church. So anyone can joke about it, but that remarks on them.
Jun 15th 2013 new
(quote) Lynea-297530 said: Funny, but it really hurt my feelings and it was completely unnecessary. If a man doesn't like a woman's modesty, that says a lot about the man. If it makes him uncomfortable, then he should just say nothing and move on. For a man to go out of his way and be combative about a woman's modesty, well, that's just pretty scary. Modesty is the virtue that protects purity, well, according to the Church. So anyone can joke about it, but that remarks on them.
Lynea, he was definitely not much of a man nor a gentleman. Sounds like he was just making excuses not to continue and didn't have strength of character to be honest about it. A personal attack is just immature, sorry you had to experience it. You don't have to kiss a lot of toads to find your prince, but you'll probably meet a few. If you photo is page you can give him a green icky mustache. laughing laughing laughing
Jun 15th 2013 new
Actually, I had told him that I didn't feel we were a good fit because he seemed more interest in physical aspects for my tastes. (I was trying to be nice about it.) And that was his response.
Jun 16th 2013 new
(quote) Lynea-297530 said: I just got told off by a guy who pretended to be gentleman on CM, for choosing not to wear shorts or even pants unless it's for working out.

There are too many men on here calling themselves "Catholic" and "gentlemen" that really seem to be neither.
It's comical how so-called "catholics" will jam tolerance down your throat in regard to immodesty...but if you wish to be modest brace yourself for waves of intolerance from these same people.
Jun 16th 2013 new
(quote) Lynea-297530 said: I just got told off by a guy who pretended to be gentleman on CM, for choosing not to wear shorts or even pants unless it's for working out.

I believe women and men should dress modestly. Most men do, but it upsets me that our culture has clothing that is immodest for women. If the woman is married she belongs to her husband alone. If the woman is unmarried, she belongs to God and therefore no one should see her. Most importantly, we glorify God when we dress modestly. It almost makes me want to write a letter to clothing stores about making modest dresses, shorts, shirts, and pants.
Jun 16th 2013 new
Marita and Chelsea, I couldn't agree with you more.
Jun 17th 2013 new
(quote) Marita-847688 said: I believe women and men should dress modestly. Most men do, but it upsets me that our culture has clothing that is immodest for women. If the woman is married she belongs to her husband alone. If the woman is unmarried, she belongs to God and therefore no one should see her. Most importantly, we glorify God when we dress modestly. It almost makes me want to write a letter to clothing stores about making modest dresses, shorts, shirts, and pants.
I saw a dress today that was showing too much at mass. I am certain that these younger ladies do not realize that these fashions are showing too much. I see this weekly. Things that were not being worn 8-10 years ago are being worn now at mass...
Jun 17th 2013 new

Hi Lynea,

I am very sorry that you experienced this. In all charity, and really it still does not defend his actions, it seems as if perhaps he was responding to being turned down.

But to your more excellent point about modesty as a virtue, I will say that it is in fact Question 169 in the Summa Theologica of St. Thomas Aquinas (www.newadvent.org).

It is worthwhile to read as I think it expands on your point as well as others expressed here. Succinctly put, Thomas identifies three virtues connected with outward attire: humility, which excludes seeking one's own glory, contentment, which excludes seeking sensual pleasure and simplicity, which again makes a person happy with what she has.

There is to me an ineffable beauty in a woman who, seeking God's good will, attires herself modestly and walks serenely and confident in the world. For truly the Lord Himself will adorn her, "with a robe of salvation, and [wrap her] in a mantle of justice...like a bride bedecked with her jewels."

In Christ,
Leyden
Posts 1 - 10 of 47