Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

Singles discussion related to wedding planning, engagement, and married life should be posted in this room.

Saint Valentine is patron saint of love, young people, and happy marriages.
Learn More: Saint Valentine

Jun 17th 2013 new
(quote) Heather-705104 said: My ex and his adulteress married civilly in December. They finally stopped receiving communion at mass, but still go to mass on a weekly basis. Not sure if they were asked by the clergy to not receive it or not (the affair was not kept hush hush in the church since our families were close friends and all went to church there). They did, however, have the nerve to come to my church (I changed parishes) and receive communion at my son's mass when he received 1st communion. The jaws that dropped there...... Anyway, technically, she can go up for a blessing but should not receive communion until her previous marriages are annulled.
I met a woman whose exhusband was an EME in their parish. He divorced his wife, married his office assistant/mistress civilly and continued to distribute communion at mass, though he did not partake himself. BTW, he was also a recovering alcoholic so holding that wine cup was a real challenge for him.
Jun 17th 2013 new
clap clap clap
Jun 17th 2013 new
Great points, Bradley!

The Church's teachings are wise, and not really that onerous. And they are for our own good.

Very sorry that you learned the hard way, but very glad you have shared your experiences with us.
Jun 17th 2013 new
Bow Bow Bow
Jun 17th 2013 new
It seems to me that this case of the EME is first and foremost a failing of the parish priest. Certainly he must be aware of this situation. He should have immediately put a stop to it. The parish priest is the leader of the parish after all... He needs to show some leadership.

Of course the EME should have disqualified himself from that service, but since he did not, the parish priest is responsible for fixing the situation.

Ed
Jun 17th 2013 new
Where is the 15%!!!
Jun 17th 2013 new
My priests refuse to marry someone or even (technically) begin the marriage prep classes until the couple has lived apart for at least six months. (Catholic classes for the non-Catholic if there is one, can be at any time of course. :) )
Jun 17th 2013 new
(quote) Joan-529855 said: I met a woman whose exhusband was an EME in their parish. He divorced his wife, married his office assistant/mistress civilly and continued to distribute communion at mass, though he did not partake himself. BTW, he was also a recovering alcoholic so holding that wine cup was a real challenge for him.
I'd get rid of EMEs if I were pastor. They're not needed.
Jun 17th 2013 new
(quote) Dave-915458 said: Joan, I will be glad to explain. Could you please let me know what you did not understand?
There are two aspects here: Economic and Political, but these are related. To many "conservatives" today, these aspects have no significant effect to our social and moral lives. I disagree, and I understand a few people like Chesterton and Belloc, who lived towards the beginning of last century also disagree.
America was founded not just to free man from the Crown, but also to free him from him the Church. It is the worlds first truly secular state. (The founders did say a few prayers, but if you look at their lives, most of them had no faith. They would have been atheist, had it not been too unpopular at their time.) In the founders credit however, they recognized that without a notion of right and wrong, the state would disintegrate. Being secular, they did not have recourse to religion. Hence, they settled on a system of what I term as "mechanized morality" encoded in the legal framework.
This does affect social life. You will hence find people talking about a certain action being "legal" or not, instead of "moral". Morality loses its meaning in the minds of people, because nothing in the real world is based on it. The Church may make various attempts at remedying this problem of promiscuity among our unmarried laity, but until morals play some role in regular life, I think it would be a failure.
In this regard I like the Muslim world. Despite all the criticism of the barbarity of Sharia Law, it is more natural to man than the secular state that we have today. At the minimum they have the ability to prohibit problems like Gay Marriage, something that a secular state is powerless to prohibit.
Capitalism does have its own problems that affect this social question, but from your post, I assumed that you had problems with only the political part.
Many of the founders were deeply religious men who wanted to establish a republic dedicated to the benefit of the general welfare and the rights of man. Why do we listen to and read the works of British Catholics such as Chesterton and Belloc? The British aristocracy has hated the US since its founding, yet our economics and even religion are dominated by British writers.
Jun 17th 2013 new
Priests tell me that we are in the age of the laity. That doesn't mean that we need the laity more involved in the liturgy, but that the battle for souls needs to be fought by the laity. In this case, the answer to the question "What should the Church do?" might be the answer to the question, "What should I do?" If we see Catholics or even Protestants living together among our circle of friends we should challenge them. Part of the problem stems from the continuance of the mentality that allows contraception in marriage. If contraception in marriage (which forces God out of the marital act) is allowable, then the marital act is not sacred. Since the purpose of sex is "just pleasure" there is little reason to treat it with respect. I think we need to find ways to communicate with other Catholics on this subject. Forum topics like this one are a good idea.
Posts 31 - 40 of 200