Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for the discussion of current events,cultural issues and politics especially in relation to Catholic values.

Saint Thomas More was martyred during the Protestant Reformation for standing firm in the Faith and not recognizing the King of England as the Supreme Head of the Church.
Learn More:Saint Thomas More

Jun 22nd 2013 new
This is an alternate take from Bill Donohue of the Catholic League. He calls the negative reaction "insane".
Obamas "Anti-Catholic" Speech

The notorious Nat'l Cath Reporter immediately picked up on his comments.
Catholic League's Donohue defends Obama
Plenty of liberal comments and some conservative ones too.

This report is referenced in the above NCR blog entry.
Obama Offends Catholics in UK: Says Religious Schools Divisive
Comments are almost exclusively conservative.
Jun 22nd 2013 new
The sad thing is that the Church in the US has foolishly put itself into the position where the President can get away this kind of thing.

After decades of abdicating its social responsibilities to the government, it has managed to maneuver the Catholic population into a position where many of them are more interested in loyalty to a political party than to the Church itself.
Jun 22nd 2013 new
I think that Obama's comments should not be taken in just the very limited context of his speach in Ireland.... but in the context of all the negative, repressive, invasive and demanding actions that he has taken against the Catholic Church over that past 4+ years. Negative reaction to his comments, taken in this broader context, certainly doesn't seem "insane" or an over-reaction to me. Obama has shown, time and time again, his hostility toward the Catholic Church, it's values and it's faithful members. He has also lied numerous times, saying that he has "accomodated" the Catholic Church (concerning the health care mandate) when he has done no such thing. Therefore I do not believe that it is an over-reaction to put all of his comments (in Ireland) in the worst possible light. He simply cannot be trusted.... and I doubt that it was just some sort of innocuous "slip-up" on his part.

Ed
Jun 23rd 2013 new
(quote) ED-20630 said: I think that Obama's comments should not be taken in just the very limited context of his speach in Ireland.... but in the context of all the negative, repressive, invasive and demanding actions that he has taken against the Catholic Church over that past 4+ years. Negative reaction to his comments, taken in this broader context, certainly doesn't seem "insane" or an over-reaction to me. Obama has shown, time and time again, his hostility toward the Catholic Church, it's values and it's faithful members. He has also lied numerous times, saying that he has "accomodated" the Catholic Church (concerning the health care mandate) when he has done no such thing. Therefore I do not believe that it is an over-reaction to put all of his comments (in Ireland) in the worst possible light. He simply cannot be trusted.... and I doubt that it was just some sort of innocuous "slip-up" on his part.

Ed
Whether it was some sort of slip up or not, which I doubt it was, this is just a showing of what he truly thinks of the Catholic Church and it's faithful members. YES. I think his words show his ignorance and his willingness to say things that are backward and based on no education of situations there and a poor understanding of anything frankly all around the world. If anyone understands history and how these religious divisions came about- (and I highly doubt that he knows a scintilla of information about Church History) they would not say the things he said. And any way since WHEN does he have any right to COMMENT ON RELIGIONS? He cannot be trusted and he is anti Catholic.He has finally admitted it. It makes him look stupid to play so ignorant and say these things. I thought people are supposed to be free to believe what they want and adhere to what beliefs they have. Beliefs are a very private or intimate part of a person. How dare he criticise anyones beliefs with his "masked talk." He is a FOOL.
Jun 23rd 2013 new
(quote) ED-20630 said: I think that Obama's comments should not be taken in just the very limited context of his speach in Ireland.... but in the context of all the negative, repressive, invasive and demanding actions that he has taken against the Catholic Church over that past 4+ years. Negative reaction to his comments, taken in this broader context, certainly doesn't seem "insane" or an over-reaction to me. Obama has shown, time and time again, his hostility toward the Catholic Church, it's values and it's faithful members. He has also lied numerous times, saying that he has "accomodated" the Catholic Church (concerning the health care mandate) when he has done no such thing. Therefore I do not believe that it is an over-reaction to put all of his comments (in Ireland) in the worst possible light. He simply cannot be trusted.... and I doubt that it was just some sort of innocuous "slip-up" on his part.

Ed
Although Mr. Donohue has a point and stated it weel, I have to agree with you, Ed.

Taken solely in the specific context where Obummer made the comments, Mr. Donohue is correct. But that view is only one dimensional.

He could have made his point without the specific references to any religion. But he chose to name the Catholic Church specifically while using only the more general "Protestant" for the other side. Face it,the majority of Protestants in Northern Ireland are Anglicans. Why not name them.

When Mr. Obummer's total record is taken into account, as you correctly did, it is just another swipe at what he knows is his major opposition for his sinful agenda.

I realize he does not see that any of his agenda as sinful, so I am not suggesting that he purposefully acting in support of Satan. Nevertheless, even if he is acting in good faith, he is still furthering Lucifer's goals.

As intelligent as he is supposed to be, as much of a Constitutional lawyer as he is supposed to be, he should know that his approach and obvious antagonism towards the Church is wrong even on a purely human level, even if one wants to leave the divine out of it in the name of separation of Church and State.

If we grant him his supposed intelliogence and mastery of Constitutional law, his actions would then clearly demonstrate that the man does not possess a commensurate level of wisdom. That is just another reason why he was and is now unqualified to even run for much less hold the office he does.

And I cannot help being galled at the fact that even if we, as a nation, survive the next three years without any further damage to what America was and is supposed to be, my taxes and those of my children as well as yours will support this man for the rest of his life to a standard of living he has not truly earned.
Jun 23rd 2013 new
(quote) John-336509 said: The sad thing is that the Church in the US has foolishly put itself into the position where the President can get away this kind of thing.

After decades of abdicating its social responsibilities to the government, it has managed to maneuver the Catholic population into a position where many of them are more interested in loyalty to a political party than to the Church itself.
That is so true John, people get so stuck on voting the party line rather than their conscience. I don't know how many times I hear complaints about a particular candidate but yet they still vote for him or her anyways because they are the right party. The party's aren't the same party's they where 30 years ago. Back then Ted Kennedy was pro-life!
Jun 23rd 2013 new
(quote) Paul-866591 said: The Constitution prohibits that. If an attempt were made to amend that prohibition, the necessary 3/4ths of the States needed to ratify an amendment just does not exist at this time. The country is roughly divided 50 50. The party in power usually suffers a loss in their totals in the off year election. That means their may be a further erosion is support for the Democratic party next. year, Probably not enough to give Control of Congress to the Republicans, but enough to slow down Obummers agenda a bit.,

Currently there are not enough votes in Congress to approve an amendment and sub,it it to the States for approval. That fact is not likely to change in the coming off year elections.

Although the media is still in Obummers pocket, that support is eroding.

The biggest problem we face is not the possibility of Obummer somehow pulling off everything that would be required to run for a 3rd term, but the fact that it now appears Hillary is the current likely Democratic candidate is 2016. She will have the women's vote sewed up as well as the African-American votes, the illegals votes and, sad to say, the Catholic vote as well.

The second biggest problem we face is that Obummer will have the opportunity to appoint Justices to the Supreme Court to change, for the worse, the complexion of an already poor Court makeup..
What's scary about that Paul is that the other day I saw a michelle/hillary 2016 bumper sticker the other day.
Jun 23rd 2013 new
(quote) Bob-644239 said: What's scary about that Paul is that the other day I saw a michelle/hillary 2016 bumper sticker the other day.
Two phonies on the same ticket; that is scary.

At least in Obummer's case, he has had a clown. A very smart move on his part. With Biden in the wings if something should happen to him, he insured that there would be extra care taken to see nothing happened to himself that would allow a Biden to head the country.

We are then left with one question; which is it worst to have running the country, someone with no qualifications like Obummer or an unqualified clown?
Jun 23rd 2013 new
I doubt Obama even realizes that the tension there didn't arise out of a religious concern but because England conquered Ireland and they didn't appreciate it....it was about land not religion....originally anyway. I STILL want to see proof of his education and his report cards, which he refuses to provide though every other president did and though no one remembers him at Columbia U.
Jun 23rd 2013 new
I wonder if he gave a similar speech at Morehouse College. :-)
Posts 21 - 30 of 40