Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

Discussion related to living as a Catholic in the single state of life. As long as a topic is being discussed from the perspective of a single Catholic then it will be on-topic.

Tobias and Sarah's story is from the Book of Tobit, and his journey is guided by Saint Raphael.
Learn More: Tobias & Sarah as led by Saint Raphael

Jun 27 new
(quote) Tom-432657 said: After seeing some picture of Kate Middleton, she is a good dresser. The bottom picture is my most favorite of her. In that picture I say she looks more dressed up.

http://ladybojangle.wordpress.com/2012/09/05/style-crush-kate-middleton/
For me Suit and tie with dark pants, socks, and shoes.
Jun 27 new
This sermon explains the necessity of modest dress in order to avoid leading members of the opposite sex into sin through intentional or unintentional scandal.

www.audiosancto.org

These are just general guidelines which should be followed at all times.

For Women

Pants which are not skin tight or skirts which extend at least past the knee. Shirts which are not extremely form fitting and absolutely no visible cleavage. The sermon recommends that a collar go no deeper then two fingers width below the chin. I think that is just a wee bit extreme. Bare shoulders are to be avoided as well. I don't have the knowledge of popular culture and fashion needed to make specific clothing choices.

For Men

Collared or button down shirts. Undershirts are extremely encouraged. Jeans should not have visible tears or rips and should not be worn at Mass. Men should not put as much time or thought into their appearance and dress as women. However, some attention in this area is required to avoid looking slovenly.

Another nice tidbit from the linked sermon is that passionate kissing is mortally sinful for the unmarried because they do not have the license to stir up the passions which those of the married state do.
Jun 27 new
What about skirts that go TO to knee or one inch above it? I'd say that's modest, especially if the rest of the outfit that you put together fits the criteria of modesty. I think shorts that go to the knee or one or two inches above it are definitely okay as long as they are not too skin tight.
Jun 27 new
The sermon I linked to has some specific rules for women at 23:30. One of them is that a skirt should extend past the knees while sitting. I realize this may not be very convenient or fashionable but it is certainly preferable to unintentionally causing scandal or being visually preyed upon by a perverted fallen man if you forget to cross your legs while sitting.

The following is some paraphrasing from about 25 minutes.

Modesty does not mean girls are not supposed to be colorful and pretty. Our Lady is beautiful. She wore bright blue and bright red. Clothes can be form fitting but they can't be tight.

I think this sermon www.audiosancto.org from the same Priest states that our obligation to avoid giving scandal only extends to that which would give scandal to the majority of right minded individuals with properly formed consciousnesses. If wearing a long skirt and shoulder covering blouse gives scandal to pervy McPervenson you are in no way culpable. If you choose to wear the most mini of mini skirts and spandex top which looks to have come from a bad 80's workout video then you are very much responsible for the sandal you have created because this attire would cause temptation in most men with properly formed consciousnesses.

I should state that scandal doesn't mean being shocked. It means being tempted into sin by the actions of another.
Jun 28 new
(quote) Tom-432657 said: After seeing some picture of Kate Middleton, she is a good dresser. The bottom picture is my most favorite of her. In that picture I say she looks more dressed up.

http://ladybojangle.wordpress.com/2012/09/05/style-crush-kate-middleton/
ladybojangle.wordpress.com

Of course here's the picture!
Jun 28 new
(quote) Tom-432657 said: http://ladybojangle.wordpress.com/2012/09/05/style-crush-kate-middleton/

Of course here's the picture!
Probably can't get just that one picture! boggled
Jun 28 new
I love the way Kate dresses modest and femme and prince William also dresses conservative and effortlessly always appropriate formal or casual
Jun 28 new
(quote) Patrick-341178 said: Men: I really don't think it matters than much as long as he looks somewhat put together. If I could impose one law in the summer would be men have to wear a shirt in public unless they are at a public pool or beach. It is just gross to see!!!! Obviously, there are some occasions where more dressy makes sense. Although, I personally hate wearing ties because they are so uncomfortable around the neck. I think it is kind of funny that women love seeing men in ties since it doesn't affect them. I very thankful in my new job ties are not required.

Women: Skirts should definitely be below the knee. I don't think long skirts are necessary but maybe for church and other more formal occasion maybe they are good idea. I am very anti pants on women. I suppose jeans are ok for very casual events, but when I ever meet up with a woman for a date and she is wearing jeans, I instantly know she really isn't that into me. I think the most important thing is to cover the chest area. It never ceases to amaze me how many even good moral standing women take liberties in that area.

Here you go, Patrick:
flds clothing store
Jun 28 new
(quote) Peter-449116 said: Here you go, Patrick:
flds clothing store
:rofl:

I am sorry to laugh since that was a completely serious post.
Jun 28 new
Very funny, Peter!
Posts 31 - 40 of 49