Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for the discussion of current events,cultural issues and politics especially in relation to Catholic values.

Saint Thomas More was martyred during the Protestant Reformation for standing firm in the Faith and not recognizing the King of England as the Supreme Head of the Church.
Learn More:Saint Thomas More

Jun 22nd 2013 new
(quote) Steven-706921 said: Speaking of being at war with Eastasia when you thought it was Eurasia, Obama seems to be training some of the very people we fought against in Iraq to use our anti-tank and anti-aircraft weapons. Sounds like the same dance we did with Al Qeada in Afghanistan during the 80s.

http://www.latimes.com/news/world/worldnow/la-fg-wn-cia-syria-20130621,0,6346686.story

I was going to mention that. Haven't we armed rebels much to our regret? When will we ever learn!
Jun 22nd 2013 new
(quote) Laura-56149 said: I was going to mention that. Haven't we armed rebels much to our regret? When will we ever learn!
When do you expect our country to stop seeking after becoming the Ampire it's craved becoming since its founding, as evidenced by the buildings of Washington D.C that are direct copies of the Imperial grandeur of Rome, and be a Republic again.

History, sadly, shows us the answer, and that is: it ain't gonna happen!

Republics don't last. Kingdoms do, and the Kingdom of Heaven will have no end.

The same cannot be said for the United States of America.

And now that I've been Debbie Downer, here's Michael Voris on this. The West is a shipwreck, and we need to swim for our Eternal Lives.

www.youtube.com

Jun 22nd 2013 new
(quote) Steven-706921 said: Speaking of being at war with Eastasia when you thought it was Eurasia, Obama seems to be training some of the very people we fought against in Iraq to use our anti-tank and anti-aircraft weapons. Sounds like the same dance we did with Al Qeada in Afghanistan during the 80s.

http://www.latimes.com/news/world/worldnow/la-fg-wn-cia-syria-20130621,0,6346686.story

Ah- the never ending "we helped al-Queda in Afghanistan" canard! It was only a matter of time before it appeared yet again.

But of course, I suppose to people who believe that all Muslims are terrorists, the fact that al-Queda was made up of self-fundded, foreign Arab fighters and the only mujahadeen groups we equipped during the Soviet occupation were 7 specific Afghan groups doesn't matter. They are all Muslims, therefore all terrorists, right? Help one, you help them all.

By the way, do you even read your articles all the way through? According to the link you're providing we are not training them to use our weapons at all. We are training them to use Russian ones. At least that's what your article is claiming.
Jun 22nd 2013 new
(quote) Laura-56149 said: I was going to mention that. Haven't we armed rebels much to our regret? When will we ever learn!
Which rebels are you referring to?
Jun 23rd 2013 new
(quote) John-336509 said: Which rebels are you referring to?
Pick one!
Jun 23rd 2013 new
(quote) Steven-706921 said: Pick one!
I'm not the one making the assertion, so it's really not my place to pick.

But if you're foolish enough to go there as though examples can't be found, there's the French Resistance to their Nazi occupiers...
Jun 23rd 2013 new
(quote) John-336509 said: Which rebels are you referring to?
I am not going to debate you on this topic but will straight out ask you why you think we should be involved in the rebel uprising in Syria or for that matter any one of those countries? You know darn well when things turn bad they will point their fingers at the U.S I have a Palestinian brother-in-law and believe me EVERY thing that happens over there in the Arabic countries is somehow the U.S's fault! He has been an American citizen for over 30 years, has dual citizenship with Jordan and his loyalty always lies with his native land. He has a huge family here and they like living here but they believe we deserve everything we get...remember 9/11? Ya? He said it to my face. Family...not always easy lol.

Please review your history and then get back to me and tell me how many times we have backed the WRONG people because of politics and money. How's it going in Egypt right now? We didn't give them weapons but we backed what they were doing and now what. We sink millions of dollars in these countries that HATE us. Just some thoughts, John:)
Jun 23rd 2013 new
(quote) John-336509 said: I'm not the one making the assertion, so it's really not my place to pick.

But if you're foolish enough to go there as though examples can't be found, there's the French Resistance to their Nazi occupiers...
Some good counterrevolutionaries.

www.youtube.com

However, that's exactly what they were. They fought to defend their country from invasion and unjust usurpation on legitimate authority.

As to counter-revolutionaries against internal usurpation, you have the examples of the Christeros in Mexico, the Pilgrimage of Grace in Henrican England, which I've mentioned, and the Vndee.

www.youtube.com

I wasn't so foolish as you've accused me of being, John. OTOH, allow me to offer some solid Catholic teaching about the distinctions of revolution versus counter-revolution, and when a people may legitimately rise up.

Jun 23rd 2013 new
(quote) Steven-706921 said: Some good counterrevolutionaries.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VUgJb2LFw4

However, that's exactly what they were. They fought to defend their country from invasion and unjust usurpation on legitimate authority.

As to counter-revolutionaries against internal usurpation, you have the examples of the Christeros in Mexico, the Pilgrimage of Grace in Henrican England, which I've mentioned, and the Vndee.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VLwjN4snANU

I wasn't so foolish as you've accused me of being, John. OTOH, allow me to offer some solid Catholic teaching about the distinctions of revolution versus counter-revolution, and when a people may legitimately rise up.

Here is the link.
files.audiosancto.org

Jun 23rd 2013 new
(quote) Laura-56149 said: I am not going to debate you on this topic but will straight out ask you why you think we should be involved in the rebel uprising in Syria or for that matter any one of those countries? You know darn well when things turn bad they will point their fingers at the U.S I have a Palestinian brother-in-law and believe me EVERY thing that happens over there in the Arabic countries is somehow the U.S's fault! He has been an American citizen for over 30 years, has dual citizenship with Jordan and his loyalty always lies with his native land. He has a huge family here and they like living here but they believe we deserve everything we get...remember 9/11? Ya? He said it to my face. Family...not always easy lol.

Why don't you go ahead and read some history and then get back to me and tell me how many times we have backed the WRONG people because of politics and money. How's it going in Egypt right now? We didn't give them weapons but we backed what they were doing and now what. We sink millions of dollars in these countries that HATE us. Just some thoughts, John:)
tsk, tsk, tsk, come now Laura, surely you can do better than this.

First of all, don't you think it is pathetic in the extreme for the person who can not give a historical example to back up her point to demand that the person who already has given such an example "go read some history?" Aren't you a bit old to be "debating" like an elementary school child?

Second, point out exactly where in this debate I have definitively said that we absolutely should get involved? If you go back and look, my consistent points are A) not every Muslim on the planet is a terrorist, therefore the assumption any aid we give must inevitably go to extremists is factually incorrect on its face B) Supporting dictators just because they are secular and not religious is morally bankrupt and C) if we don't choose to get involved, we have no say in the outcome. Consequently the whining about how terrible it is that the mean, nasty Islamist are going to take over when the whiner is unwilling to lift a finger to get a different outcome.

I also have a new flash for you- the example of your brother-in-law cuts both ways. When we fail to do anything and something bad happens, we are still going to be blamed anyway. After all, the mean, nasty, U.S. should have foreseen the outcome and prevented it.
Posts 11 - 20 of 31