Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for general discussion that doesn't specifically fit into one of the other CatholicMatch rooms. Topics should not be overly serious as this is to be more of a "cafe setting."

Saint Peter's Square was created so that more people could be in the presence of the Pope and was named after Saint Peter, one of Jesus's apostles.
Learn More: Saint Peter

Jun 21st 2013 new
(quote) Michael-76823 said: if your cheese curds are a little old, you can get the squeak back in them by placing 'em into the microwave for about 20 - 25 seconds as well
excuse my ignorance but i haven't ever heard of cheese curds. I see amazon.com sells them. I immediately thought of cottage cheese but don't think that is what you're talking about. What do they look and taste like? Inquiring minds want to know!
Jun 21st 2013 new
(quote) Connie-17641 said: excuse my ignorance but i haven't ever heard of cheese curds. I see amazon.com sells them. I immediately thought of cottage cheese but don't think that is what you're talking about. What do they look and taste like? Inquiring minds want to know!
After posting I googled cheese curd again. I am going to have to order some to try them. Sounds yummy!
do you make your own?
Jun 21st 2013 new
(quote) Lauren-927923 said: That is a brilliant idea for bacon. I am having the hardest time with cooking anything for just me.Even when it was technically just Pete and I for a few months there, he always made extra and took it to work, so we were still cooking like we were cooking for a family. Now, its just me and I don't have a clue what to do. . .Lauren
hug to you Lauren, I know how you feel. After so long of cooking for two or more, (extended families) I suddenly found myself cooking for one. So after a long time of eating just soups or popcorn for dinner, I decided to bake chicken pieces for a week or five days, and cut them into salads for the week. Or I make a meatloaf and have that with veggies or salads. Or I bake other meats for the week with salads. Then once in a while I splurge and make pizza....for myself, yes, again. I sometimes make casseroles or lasagne and just eat that all week too. Lots of different salads. I love to cook and experiment, but it does get redundant for one. Praying hug
Jun 21st 2013 new
(quote) Connie-17641 said: After posting I googled cheese curd again. I am going to have to order some to try them. Sounds yummy!
do you make your own?
as you found out, cheese curds are small chunks of cheese solids that have been separated from the natural whey found in milk, but have not been pressed into molds to make cheese. They are a mild cheddar flavor, and usually a whitish color. They are a real delicacy around here, and often battered and deep fried at fairs and festivals. If they are really fresh (or right out of the microwave) they will squeak when you bite into them. Yummy.

I don't make them, but buy them at the grocery store, or if I go to an actual cheese shop over in Wisconsin cheese

In Canada Canada they make a dish called poutine, which I understand to be French fries covered with cheese curds and brown gravy. Never had that; I prefer my cheese curd squeaky fresh.
Jun 21st 2013 new
Michael, I had to laugh about the Canadian version poutine. . .I spent a little over a month in Canada for training a few years back, and the other kids in my training program were nuts about their poutine. It looks horrible and I mean it looks horrible, but it doesn't taste too bad, although I don't know if I'd ever develop a craving for it lol. . .
Jun 21st 2013 new
I;m going to have to figure something out, because I am not eating right at all, and some nights I don't eat at all. I was doing Sunday dinner with the kiddos for several months, but they have all returned to their own activities so it was getting to be just one of them and myself. Growing up, we never had left overs, there were always a ton of people eating at my house, so I never developed a taste for left overs. Pete had no problem with leftovers at all, including some that he should have avoided lol. If it was in the fridge and didn't bark at him when he opened it, he'd eat it, LOL. I could cook and freeze I think, so I will try that this weekend and see how it goes. I have a cabinet full of soups, chili, and canned fruits and veggies, but I can't seem to use milk or bread or lettuce before it goes bad. I'll let you know how it goes lol. . . Lauren
Jun 21st 2013 new
Too funny!
Jun 21st 2013 new
Ahhhhh..... Poutine! Love the stuff. I had a big dish of it last summer in a little village diner south of Quebec City. I have it everytime I go to Quebec :-)
Jun 22nd 2013 new
(quote) Suzanne-930338 said: Ahhhhh..... Poutine! Love the stuff. I had a big dish of it last summer in a little village diner south of Quebec City. I have it everytime I go to Quebec :-)
wave
Poutine.....another Canadian invention

Its just delicious. Its good to have some when you've been out and aboot, eh?
Jun 22nd 2013 new
(quote) Michael-76823 said: as you found out, cheese curds are small chunks of cheese solids that have been separated from the natural whey found in milk, but have not been pressed into molds to make cheese. They are a mild cheddar flavor, and usually a whitish color. They are a real delicacy around here, and often battered and deep fried at fairs and festivals. If they are really fresh (or right out of the microwave) they will squeak when you bite into them. Yummy.

I don't make them, but buy them at the grocery store, or if I go to an actual cheese shop over in Wisconsin

In Canada they make a dish called poutine, which I understand to be French fries covered with cheese curds and brown gravy. Never had that; I prefer my cheese curd squeaky fresh.
thanks for explaining to me what they are. This post makes me want to travel to places I've never been before and try different types of food. I wonder what other foods I'm missing out on.
Posts 21 - 30 of 61