Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

Devoted to discussion pertaining to those issues which are specifically relevant to people 45+. Topics must have a specific perspective of people in this age group for it to be on topic.

The story of Abraham and Sarah is told in chapters 11-25 of the book of Genesis.
Learn More:Abraham & Sarah

Jun 22 new
Holiday, just north of Tampa shhh wave ... providing I can find an employer for a slightly shop-worn human resources goomer (SPHR) with decent analytical number-crunching skills and a somewhat out of date MBA. Anyway...

One of the things I'm having to work on is not jamming the truck up with cheap stuff; like why spend $1200 on a one-way rental to haul $500 of junk? rolling eyes laughing

Jun 22 new
(quote) Kathy-99973 said: For the first time, I am more at risk of flooding than roof damage (I'm on the ground floor),

Forget the ground floor -- you're living on a sandbar in the middle of the ocean!! wink

Jun 22 new
(quote) Chris-930705 said: Alright. Today's the day I traditionally update my will. I didn't do so last year, because I was seriously dating a woman and there were possibilities developing in the heir department that needed to resolve themselves. Neither did I update the will in 2011, for no good reason.

So, what do I own? Notably, a tremendous amount of gaming stuff -- role-playing books Ive used, a greater number Ive only read through once, board games Ive played and those with the counters still unpunched. And maps. And little monster figures. And dice. The whole collection takes up 25 shelves.

And about three dozen musical instruments, not counting plastic recorders, penny whistles, harmonicas, stuff like that. And a dozen shelves of sheet music.

Books. Thousands of books: art noveau, science fiction, boy scout manuals, a dozen books just on the cups-and-balls magic trick alone, math texts. Religious and philosophical books. Star Trek bloopers. Exactly one shelf of cook books.

I own other stuff too. A car. Kitchenware. A computer. Cheap furniture. Renaissance garb. A mysterious collection of hotel shampoo. Down in St. Louis, I own 40 YEARS of superhero comic books, starting with Marvel in 1974 and including DC a year later.

I have no heirs, per se. My family loves me, but they have absolutely no interest in any, any, any of this, except maybe the computer. No other living person born with my last name plays music, or enjoys playing board games in any way. Or reads books, for that matter.

It's a question of stewardship. What should I do, to get this stuff to people who would put it to good use? (Or should I just instruct my executors to auction everything off?)

I need to get a will made...I have a pretty large 401K, life insurance policies, house half paid off and a car that's paid off.
I have thought that God would provide and shouldn't have to worry about heir's but in this crazy world, the government could take all the money.

If I had a lot of musical instruments like you I would designate one of my neices for them since she is a music major in college; I only have a guitar that I've wanted to learn to play.
I also have a lot of books, 3 bikes, tennis raquets and golf clubs. Yard equipment: lawn mower, weed eater, blower, rakes, shovel, wheelbarrow, garden hose, sprinkler.

You probably shouldn't worry about it since it seems that I should be as concerned about all my stuff as you are. I have plenty of siblings and nieces and nephews but they are mostly 500 miles from me; I guess when there is material things involved your relatives would come out of the woodwork..
Jun 23 new
If you want to unload the comic books please let me know. My son is an avid collector and I am sure he would be interested. Especially since they were issued 10 years before he was born and he lost a bunch in a house fire last year.
Jun 23 new
(quote) Jerry-74383 said: Forget the ground floor -- you're living on a sandbar in the middle of the ocean!!

Listen to you! laughing Since 1989, only one hurricane down here flooded the Keys, which was Wilma (2005). I am now on a canal, and found this place during high season. In the past month, I have had to deal with a floor leak for the first time in my life, thus, I am now prepared: wet/vac, more tubs, de-humidifier, etc. (the place is concrete, which does retain coolness). Anyway, the jobs and the family are here for now. 'Tis a time of change in the next few years or earlier! wink

You, being in Tornado Alley, are in much more sudden risk. Praying
Jun 23 new
(quote) Michael-76823 said: Holiday, just north of Tampa ... providing I can find an employer for a slightly shop-worn human resources goomer (SPHR) with decent analytical number-crunching skills and a somewhat out of date MBA. Anyway...

One of the things I'm having to work on is not jamming the truck up with cheap stuff; like why spend $1200 on a one-way rental to haul $500 of junk?

That's funny, I have always looked at the Tarpon Springs/Palm Harbor/Dunedin area (from the computer). I've got to get over there and drive around. Last fall, I tried to find the ideal place for my daughter to go to high school, me to work, me to retire, and she to go to college, plus us to play, plus be safe, affordable, warm, low hurricane risk, great medical care, etc. etc. etc. What I found (on the East Coast) is that the perfect place to live and retire with good schools had high unemployment. At the time, I was most interested in the Orlando area, but also staying near the Keys, as much as possible. I had family in Punta Gorda who I visited, and also had a chance to visit the Destin area. I've lived in Ponte Vedra, Tampa, and Orlando, so I'm familiar with the weather (which will still be a shock during winter embarassed laughing ).

I did an intensive job search, and basically got ignored in the Mainland, and all of my interviews were in the Keys. I tried all approaches, using my cousin's address so that I looked "local", etc. The actual job search can definitely be done anywhere, it's all over the internet and email. Probably the best source is http://www.indeed.com. For jobs in my normal profession (hospitality), I found that the same jobs went unfilled month after month, regardless of if I had applied or not, or if I was overqualified for the job. Even after I was re-settled in the Keys and employed, some jobs were still being advertised?! Since employers pay for these employment ads, I'm not sure what's going on there. I constantly remember how we used to hire people, basically not taking someone too serious until they had a local address. So, don't be surprised if you get treated like a snow bird. Employers want to know that you are going to stay in the area. Also, there must be a heck of a lot of competition out there. I have always done best when I fit the job, and I am probably the only one who applied for it laughing (and they were good jobs with excellent employers). I have changed industries three times (resorts, construction and now health education non-profit), but will stay with the same specialty (accounting and finance). Any experience in "health care" is good.

I totally agree with not moving around stuff that will cost you more to move than it's worth. I also found that there's a price to pay to replace stuff, too. You may get some good quotes with the "pods" which are reasonable for moving over state lines.

Good Luck! wave thumbsup

Jun 23 new
It doesn't sound as if you want to get rid of your things right now - and you could live another 40 years or more! Enjoy your things, and make provisions in your will to have your things auctioned to benefit your loved ones or a charity whose works you believe in! If there are things that you no longer want to keep, you could arrange to auction those things now, to buy other things that you're interested in or benefit your favorite charity.
Jun 23 new
Kathy, if you've never checked out the Tarpon Springs area, you should. I've been visiting there for years, and knew it was where I wanted to move to next, and possibly retire. I love the Greek food and culture there, there's a couple nice smaller beaches that aren't overrun with tourists, and it isn't too far away from Tampa.

I'm hoping that having a local address will be a big help in the job hunt as well... I can thell them that I've made the commitment already to purchase a home there, and I'm not just coming down for a little fun in the sun. I just know that I don't want to spend the rest of my life where the temps are 40's with fog and rain, on the first weekend of Summer. That, and being crowded in with all my "stuff" laughing
Jun 23 new
(quote) Chris-930705 said: Alright. Today's the day I traditionally update my will. I didn't do so last year, because I was seriously dating a woman and there were possibilities developing in the heir department that needed to resolve themselves. Neither did I update the will in 2011, for no good reason.

So, what do I own? Notably, a tremendous amount of gaming stuff -- role-playing books Ive used, a greater number Ive only read through once, board games Ive played and those with the counters still unpunched. And maps. And little monster figures. And dice. The whole collection takes up 25 shelves.

And about three dozen musical instruments, not counting plastic recorders, penny whistles, harmonicas, stuff like that. And a dozen shelves of sheet music.

Books. Thousands of books: art noveau, science fiction, boy scout manuals, a dozen books just on the cups-and-balls magic trick alone, math texts. Religious and philosophical books. Star Trek bloopers. Exactly one shelf of cook books.

I own other stuff too. A car. Kitchenware. A computer. Cheap furniture. Renaissance garb. A mysterious collection of hotel shampoo. Down in St. Louis, I own 40 YEARS of superhero comic books, starting with Marvel in 1974 and including DC a year later.

I have no heirs, per se. My family loves me, but they have absolutely no interest in any, any, any of this, except maybe the computer. No other living person born with my last name plays music, or enjoys playing board games in any way. Or reads books, for that matter.

It's a question of stewardship. What should I do, to get this stuff to people who would put it to good use? (Or should I just instruct my executors to auction everything off?)
I have a friend who is a collector of history books. For years he wouldn't get rid of anything until he found out he coudn't find anything due to the stuff cluttered about. I was shocked when he told me he sold a few books to a 2nd hand store along with records he had for years. He did bring me a few of his treasures though. I told him that I'd keep them for him until he asked for them back. this way, he wouldn't lose them forever.

Perhaps you have a friend who would do the same thing for you. If you have the room, you could pack it all away if it makes you feel better to know that you still own all of it or you could give it away little by little then see how you feel about it.

I have tons of cookbooks, none of which I use. I also have a few antiques and collectables. People like to collect things but often times it gets out of hand. Can you imagine getting married and bringing her stuff into your house with your stuff? I often wonder how people end up storing all their prized possessions.
Jun 23 new
If there are things you are not using or enjoying, how about finding someone who would love it and give it to them now so you can see them enjoy what you have enjoyed in the past?

When I moved, I had a lot of lovely art work that friends and family had admired over the years, some I gave away to those friends and family. They are now enjoying what I loved and when I visit, I get to see it in their homes. As a rule, when I bring something new into my home, something else has to go. It is a way of keeping my possessions "reasonable."

Then there is donating to charity. I do not know about you, but I sure need the tax write off at the end of the year, biggrin and I have joy at knowing someone can use my gently used items.

As for my will, it is simple, sell it all and divide it by my heirs. I have the contact information of the gallery's that sold me the art work along with a current value. If no one in the family wants it, they can contact the gallery and have them sell it on consignment. My sister is the only one who can fit into my clothes, she will be one lucky lady if I precede her in death.

Let God lead your heart as to what to do with your things . . . you may be surprised!
Posts 11 - 20 of 33