Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

Devoted to discussion pertaining to those issues which are specifically relevant to people 45+. Topics must have a specific perspective of people in this age group for it to be on topic.

The story of Abraham and Sarah is told in chapters 11-25 of the book of Genesis.
Learn More:Abraham & Sarah

Jun 23rd 2013 new
When Phil died, I donated everything that I thought that the kids wouldn't want or didn't need. This included his car. I didn't need the money and I hurt far too much to want it around. It is just a thought.
Jun 23rd 2013 new
Chris, I would suggest that you make donations to Catholic or other non-profit organizations. What you consider to be valuable; family members, relatives and friends might toss these items into the trash. I come from a family that has always given to others and never once did they look for any monetary compensation for themselves. Also, by doing what I suggest you will receive in return a very good feeling and, in the meantime, you will be making someone on the receiving end happy. It's a two way street. "It is in giving, do we receive" Good Luck! Maryjane
Jun 23rd 2013 new
(quote) Chris-930705 said: Alright. Today's the day I traditionally update my will. I didn't do so last year, because I was seriously dating a woman and there were possibilities developing in the heir department that needed to resolve themselves. Neither did I update the will in 2011, for no good reason.

So, what do I own? Notably, a tremendous amount of gaming stuff -- role-playing books Ive used, a greater number Ive only read through once, board games Ive played and those with the counters still unpunched. And maps. And little monster figures. And dice. The whole collection takes up 25 shelves.

And about three dozen musical instruments, not counting plastic recorders, penny whistles, harmonicas, stuff like that. And a dozen shelves of sheet music.

Books. Thousands of books: art noveau, science fiction, boy scout manuals, a dozen books just on the cups-and-balls magic trick alone, math texts. Religious and philosophical books. Star Trek bloopers. Exactly one shelf of cook books.

I own other stuff too. A car. Kitchenware. A computer. Cheap furniture. Renaissance garb. A mysterious collection of hotel shampoo. Down in St. Louis, I own 40 YEARS of superhero comic books, starting with Marvel in 1974 and including DC a year later.

I have no heirs, per se. My family loves me, but they have absolutely no interest in any, any, any of this, except maybe the computer. No other living person born with my last name plays music, or enjoys playing board games in any way. Or reads books, for that matter.

It's a question of stewardship. What should I do, to get this stuff to people who would put it to good use? (Or should I just instruct my executors to auction everything off?)
I'm in the same boat. I have what I've determined is "too much stuff". Because money is a necessity right now, I want to do the right thing with them as far as that is concerned: either I sell them for what they're worth (and make better use of that money), or give them to someone who will value them as I do.

Because I love my son, I do not want to burden him with the work it would be to properly dispose of my many belongings once I die. So I choose to do as much of that as soon as I can.

Bottom line, however, is this: once we die, we no longer have an attachment to our material goods; we will care not a whit for what happens to them. If our family or our friends throw all our stuff into the trash, so what? If it matters now, take care of it now--keep it or get rid of it, in whatever way pleases you.
Jun 23rd 2013 new
(quote) Lina-796057 said: Bottom line, however, is this: once we die, we no longer have an attachment to our material goods; we will care not a whit for what happens to them. If our family or our friends throw all our stuff into the trash, so what?
Well, there's a lot of truth in that, and I don't want my opinion to influence things, but that's the last task of a good steward, to provide for a successor. If my heirs threw away all my musical instruments, that would be wrong. (I'm sure that people who have a lot of names for sins could label which sin it is...)

If I make it a burden on them to find uses for those things, then I am party to that wrong. At least, that's the wayI see it.

I'm thinking now that an auction for games at a gaming convention, and one for folk instruments at a folk music workshop, with the proceeds to go to charity, might be the right choice.
Jun 24th 2013 new
(quote) Michael-76823 said: Kathy, if you've never checked out the Tarpon Springs area, you should. I've been visiting there for years, and knew it was where I wanted to move to next, and possibly retire. I love the Greek food and culture there, there's a couple nice smaller beaches that aren't overrun with tourists, and it isn't too far away from Tampa.

I'm hoping that having a local address will be a big help in the job hunt as well... I can thell them that I've made the commitment already to purchase a home there, and I'm not just coming down for a little fun in the sun. I just know that I don't want to spend the rest of my life where the temps are 40's with fog and rain, on the first weekend of Summer. That, and being crowded in with all my "stuff"
I was sifting thru this thread when I saw Tarpon Springs. I love that area too. A few of my childhood friends live there now and love it. I grew up in the Clearwater area and loved it so much. Today though it has changed into an area that I hardly recognize.
Jun 24th 2013 new
(quote) Chris-930705 said: Well, there's a lot of truth in that, and I don't want my opinion to influence things, but that's the last task of a good steward, to provide for a successor. If my heirs threw away all my musical instruments, that would be wrong. (I'm sure that people who have a lot of names for sins could label which sin it is...)

If I make it a burden on them to find uses for those things, then I am party to that wrong. At least, that's the wayI see it.

I'm thinking now that an auction for games at a gaming convention, and one for folk instruments at a folk music workshop, with the proceeds to go to charity, might be the right choice.
Your comic book collection is valuable as you know. Why not go to a comic book convention to line up someone who may want to inherit your collection. That way you can keep it now and know that it will go to the right person later on.

My friend has all his comic books from when he was a child. He goes to comic book conventions just to look and to visit two of his friends who are in the business.
Jun 24th 2013 new
(quote) Chris-930705 said: Alright. Today's the day I traditionally update my will. I didn't do so last year, because I was seriously dating a woman and there were possibilities developing in the heir department that needed to resolve themselves. Neither did I update the will in 2011, for no good reason.

So, what do I own? Notably, a tremendous amount of gaming stuff -- role-playing books Ive used, a greater number Ive only read through once, board games Ive played and those with the counters still unpunched. And maps. And little monster figures. And dice. The whole collection takes up 25 shelves.

And about three dozen musical instruments, not counting plastic recorders, penny whistles, harmonicas, stuff like that. And a dozen shelves of sheet music.

Books. Thousands of books: art noveau, science fiction, boy scout manuals, a dozen books just on the cups-and-balls magic trick alone, math texts. Religious and philosophical books. Star Trek bloopers. Exactly one shelf of cook books.

I own other stuff too. A car. Kitchenware. A computer. Cheap furniture. Renaissance garb. A mysterious collection of hotel shampoo. Down in St. Louis, I own 40 YEARS of superhero comic books, starting with Marvel in 1974 and including DC a year later.

I have no heirs, per se. My family loves me, but they have absolutely no interest in any, any, any of this, except maybe the computer. No other living person born with my last name plays music, or enjoys playing board games in any way. Or reads books, for that matter.

It's a question of stewardship. What should I do, to get this stuff to people who would put it to good use? (Or should I just instruct my executors to auction everything off?)
you should watch toy hunters if you can get it where you live. If you could get these collectors to come to your home to look at what you have you could think about "willing" it to them instead of selling it to them now. I bet they'd go for that idea.
Jun 24th 2013 new
Andrew, Make your donations while you are still here. You will derive pleasure from providing others with joy. Let's follow the lead of Pope Benedict: MATERIALISM prevails in the US big time. We all need to do our part in cleaning up and cleaning out. Take it from one who has had this experience many times over. It is so true, it is far better to give, then to receive. Why do we humans feel the need to hang on to possessions? When the time comes, we will leave the earth the same way we arrived. Maryjane
Jun 24th 2013 new
Chris, You shouldn't write about this kind of thing in a forum. Even though the bulk of the people who would bother to read these forums are practicing Catholics, there is the occasional scammer that you have to watch out for. It only takes one! It would be great to be able to be open and free about whatever we want to write about, but when it comes to assets, even small assets, we do have to be cautious about who reads or sees what we've got! We are in economic hard times. It would be great if we could trust everyone, but the fact of the matter is, that not everyone is honest, and it is possible that you are setting yourself up for others to take advantage of your openness. I came online today for another reason, but decided to stop by at the forums as long as I'm here. I have to put my accountant hat back on to say that others could interpret what you have written as being valuable. Discuss your assets only with an attorney that you trust, close family, and people that you know quite well: no one else!
Jun 25th 2013 new
Thanks, Jacqueline.
Posts 21 - 30 of 33