Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for the discussion of current events,cultural issues and politics especially in relation to Catholic values.

Saint Thomas More was martyred during the Protestant Reformation for standing firm in the Faith and not recognizing the King of England as the Supreme Head of the Church.
Learn More:Saint Thomas More

I just found out about it today that the Food Network let Paula go after she fessed up to making offensive recial remarks in the past, and she even asked for forgiveness as well. I guess no amount of butter could mend this. Wht is your take on this do you defend her and you feel that she should have been pardoned or do you agree with the food networks decision. My personal feeling is that her upbringing is no excuse for her ignorant behavior. I just don't sympathise with her, but on the otherhand the food network should not be able to profit any further on her contribution to their channel or market her products.
Jun 24 new
(quote) Elizabeth-114955 said: I just found out about it today that the Food Network let Paula go after she fessed up to making offensive recial remarks in the past, and she even asked for forgiveness as well. I guess no amount of butter could mend this. Wht is your take on this do you defend her and you feel that she should have been pardoned or do you agree with the food networks decision. My personal feeling is that her upbringing is no excuse for her ignorant behavior. I just don't sympathise with her, but on the otherhand the food network should not be able to profit any further on her contribution to their channel or market her products.
I cannot cast stones, because of my own racist behavior when a teenager and young man before joining the Navy. There I developed friendships with my shipmates of different races and realized they were no different than myself. Witnessing firsthand how blacks were treated by police and shop owners in 1964 New Orleans while stationed there was a shock to the senses. I never wanted to see that again. Racism is ignorance, pure and simple.
It matters if Ms. Dean apologized only when the you-know-what hit the fan, or acknowledged it was wrong long ago.
Jun 24 new
(quote) Peter-449116 said: I cannot cast stones, because of my own racist behavior when a teenager and young man before joining the Navy. There I developed friendships with my shipmates of different races and realized they were no different than myself. Witnessing firsthand how blacks were treated by police and shop owners in 1964 New Orleans while stationed there was a shock to the senses. I never wanted to see that again. Racism is ignorance, pure and simple.
It matters if Ms. Dean apologized only when the you-know-what hit the fan, or acknowledged it was wrong long ago.
Well at least you were appalled by the way a lot of working class people were being mistreated because of the color of their skin, but obviously Paula only cared about the color green and got caught turning a blind eye, AND she is getting more than her hands smacked because of it.
Jun 25 new
(quote) Elizabeth-114955 said: I just found out about it today that the Food Network let Paula go after she fessed up to making offensive recial remarks in the past, and she even asked for forgiveness as well. I guess no amount of butter could mend this. Wht is your take on this do you defend her and you feel that she should have been pardoned or do you agree with the food networks decision. My personal feeling is that her upbringing is no excuse for her ignorant behavior. I just don't sympathise with her, but on the otherhand the food network should not be able to profit any further on her contribution to their channel or market her products.
Whatever sin she committed, it does not deserve to be front page news. There is too much going on with immigration and the heat wave and Supreme Court rulings to constantly hear about Paul Dean on the radio. This is not important.
Jun 25 new
(quote) Marianne-100218 said: Whatever sin she committed, it does not deserve to be front page news. There is too much going on with immigration and the heat wave and Supreme Court rulings to constantly hear about Paul Dean on the radio. This is not important.
It may not be all that important, however it does bring to light the segment of racism that seldom is talked about. Not only did people of dark skin origin suffer, but also how other caucasians experience repression and are hurt by racial slurs that are not directed at them, but still are painful to put up with. It also shows us that not only does acting out like Bubba Hiers did was hurting his employees, but also how looking the other way ( Paula did )contributes greatly to this problem. There is a big lesson from this case to be learned by this that is that racism is and sexual harassment is a bigger deal then we sometimes realize. I am sure there are others like Paula Deen who failed to show mercy to those who were the backbone of Paula's empire , and now she is getting a taste of what it is like to not receive any mercy from those who profited immensely from her such as the Food Network. If I were in her shoes I would be sorry for those whose futures are now at risks, such as her loyal employees, and her family. I have no doubt that she realizes now, and I am sure she is regretting it now, and that also her apologies do come from the heart. I pray that should she recover from this, that she becomes a more responsible business person.
Jun 25 new
Listen, I am not defending RACISM or CLASSISM, but its PART of our nation's heritage, good or bad, just like those nations (unnamed) that deny that they were part of Jewish concentration in Europe. The USA interred Japanese people. The town where I work, more heavily Swiss and Anglo in descent than German (unlike the town were I live), made a man with a German accent raise and lower the Ensign every day during World War II in the courthouse square to indicate alliance with the Allies! Unfortunate, but true. Comic books of the World War II era showed stereotypes of black porters, Japanese, Mexican Nazi sympathizers. . . as propaganda to youth. . . in the 1930s, Nancy Drew and the Hardy Boys frequently ran into "undesirables" who turned out to be the villains in many cases, who were black, Latino, or (horrors) with sallow skin, dark curly hair, and strong facial features (Jewish, Greek, or Italian). . . , or were unwilling to consort with Scotch, Irish, or black people as "lower class." As late as mid-century "Beulah," the black maid talked in pidgin on television, and low-brow Hazel, the servant, used poor grammar and social skills, indicating her lack of refinement, and John Forsythe's major domo spoke poor English for laughs. . . . these are all unfortunate, but true. I'm from a rural area. Until about 10 years ago, "colored" was used regularly. Wrong, but true (I used to joke, you mean, like Rainbow Brite? when hearing the outmoded language). What I'm saying is that a cultural anthropologist would see that Paula is a product of her time and generation, and if she used language in keeping with the customs of her upbringing as a young person, she was just enforcing societal standards taught to her at a young age IN that situation. If she did so as an adult and personality, then poor choice and I'm sorry for her. But to crucify her now for something that was a product of her times. . . . While racism, derogatory and offensive terms are unfortunate, they were an acceptable part of culture in many areas for a long time, and not just in the US South. . . they are reality, and being a product of the community that raised you, may be wrong, but its reality. . . penance and the ABILITY TO CHANGE are what is important. I didn't always BELIEVE in the Eucharist as I do now, but I could change. . .
Jun 25 new
As a white Caucasian, I suffer discrimination all the time when I go into a store and none of the cashiers are white, and they treat you like crap and there is nothing to be done about it. The cashiers are trying to take control of the situation. It happens in the Post office where I go also. In the Post Office the blacks won't even wear their name tags. So, I am about tired of all this black and white stuff. It goes both ways. The whites are the ones always accused and the blacks are always considered the victims.
Jun 25 new
(quote) Lynn-189934 said: Listen, I am not defending RACISM or CLASSISM, but its PART of our nation's heritage, good or bad, just like those nations (unnamed) that deny that they were part of Jewish concentration in Europe. The USA interred Japanese people. The town where I work, more heavily Swiss and Anglo in descent than German (unlike the town were I live), made a man with a German accent raise and lower the Ensign every day during World War II in the courthouse square to indicate alliance with the Allies! Unfortunate, but true. Comic books of the World War II era showed stereotypes of black porters, Japanese, Mexican Nazi sympathizers. . . as propaganda to youth. . . in the 1930s, Nancy Drew and the Hardy Boys frequently ran into "undesirables" who turned out to be the villains in many cases, who were black, Latino, or (horrors) with sallow skin, dark curly hair, and strong facial features (Jewish, Greek, or Italian). . . , or were unwilling to consort with Scotch, Irish, or black people as "lower class." As late as mid-century "Beulah," the black maid talked in pidgin on television, and low-brow Hazel, the servant, used poor grammar and social skills, indicating her lack of refinement, and John Forsythe's major domo spoke poor English for laughs. . . . these are all unfortunate, but true. I'm from a rural area. Until about 10 years ago, "colored" was used regularly. Wrong, but true (I used to joke, you mean, like Rainbow Brite? when hearing the outmoded language). What I'm saying is that a cultural anthropologist would see that Paula is a product of her time and generation, and if she used language in keeping with the customs of her upbringing as a young person, she was just enforcing societal standards taught to her at a young age IN that situation. If she did so as an adult and personality, then poor choice and I'm sorry for her. But to crucify her now for something that was a product of her times. . . . While racism, derogatory and offensive terms are unfortunate, they were an acceptable part of culture in many areas for a long time, and not just in the US South. . . they are reality, and being a product of the community that raised you, may be wrong, but its reality. . . penance and the ABILITY TO CHANGE are what is important. I didn't always BELIEVE in the Eucharist as I do now, but I could change. . .
I don't get why they make such a big deal about interring the Japanese during WW2. It probably kept them safe at the very least.
Jun 25 new
(quote) Lynn-189934 said: Listen, I am not defending RACISM or CLASSISM, but its PART of our nation's heritage, good or bad, just like those nations (unnamed) that deny that they were part of Jewish concentration in Europe. The USA interred Japanese people. The town where I work, more heavily Swiss and Anglo in descent than German (unlike the town were I live), made a man with a German accent raise and lower the Ensign every day during World War II in the courthouse square to indicate alliance with the Allies! Unfortunate, but true. Comic books of the World War II era showed stereotypes of black porters, Japanese, Mexican Nazi sympathizers. . . as propaganda to youth. . . in the 1930s, Nancy Drew and the Hardy Boys frequently ran into "undesirables" who turned out to be the villains in many cases, who were black, Latino, or (horrors) with sallow skin, dark curly hair, and strong facial features (Jewish, Greek, or Italian). . . , or were unwilling to consort with Scotch, Irish, or black people as "lower class." As late as mid-century "Beulah," the black maid talked in pidgin on television, and low-brow Hazel, the servant, used poor grammar and social skills, indicating her lack of refinement, and John Forsythe's major domo spoke poor English for laughs. . . . these are all unfortunate, but true. I'm from a rural area. Until about 10 years ago, "colored" was used regularly. Wrong, but true (I used to joke, you mean, like Rainbow Brite? when hearing the outmoded language). What I'm saying is that a cultural anthropologist would see that Paula is a product of her time and generation, and if she used language in keeping with the customs of her upbringing as a young person, she was just enforcing societal standards taught to her at a young age IN that situation. If she did so as an adult and personality, then poor choice and I'm sorry for her. But to crucify her now for something that was a product of her times. . . . While racism, derogatory and offensive terms are unfortunate, they were an acceptable part of culture in many areas for a long time, and not just in the US South. . . they are reality, and being a product of the community that raised you, may be wrong, but its reality. . . penance and the ABILITY TO CHANGE are what is important. I didn't always BELIEVE in the Eucharist as I do now, but I could change. . .
Lynn, when it comes to running a business, ethics plays a bigger role in how management does just that, more today than it did say when you were 21 years old. I studied business in college and ethical business practices are a required field of study. There are more laws in the field of business, and organizations like EEO have grown since then, they are going after businesses for unethical practices like what was going on with Bubba's oyster and seafood restaurant. The work environment there is what was the problem and Paula Deen would not discipline her brother. That is what the lawsuit was about, not her use of racial slurs in the past. Even though the Food Network did Dump the Southern Bell less than one hour after she broadcasted her apology that is not the soul reason for dumping her. When the lawsuit went public the case was being monitored by the Network and unfortunately Paula gained a lot of bad publicity. Bubba Hiers was just out of line in his behavior and Paula, who Lisa Jackson did say that she never heard using racial slurs, was subject to accusations that she condoned his actions. One factor for this ongoing problem is that most of the employees feared that if they came out and made statements about the work environment, not only would they lose their job with Paula Deen, they wouldn't have been able to get work elsewhere. That being largely due to the fact that Ms. Deen paid her kitchen staff more than comparable area restaurants and she had a lot of influence in the city. Another thing that came out is that after saying she would appear on the Today show Paula Deen did she has said publicly that she will appear Wednesday on the Today show, she abruptly cancelled an appearance last Friday. Later that day, she released a video apology to Matt Lauer and issued another, broader video apology in which she said hurtful language is inappropriate. That could have had more to do with why the Network canned her than something she did out of fear for life along time ago when she worked as a bank teller. While I do not agree with the way she is being punished is just, because I am aware that Paula did a lot of good charitable deeds, but the sad thing about justice and the law is that often what is just is not legal and often what is legal is not just. She is not the only one who has gotten in trouble for looking the other way. People in business are getting nailed now for that where in the past that wasn't the case. When it comes to business partnerships you can be held accountable for your partners bad conduct if you do not take necessary actions to correct the situation. You can be taken down with him/her.
Jun 25 new
It looks like Paula is not giving up her fight to clear her name and save her empire, after her PR team botched her n-word apology so badly and after she backed out on her Matt Lauer interview which is why the Food Network pulled the plug on her. I hope this does her some justice in her favor.

Read more: www.tmz.com
Visit Fishwrapper: http://www.fishwrapper.com

• News/

Paula Deen Reschedules Today Interview After No-Show

www.eonline.com

Posts 1 - 10 of 54