Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

Discussion related to living as a Catholic in the single state of life. As long as a topic is being discussed from the perspective of a single Catholic then it will be on-topic.

Tobias and Sarah's story is from the Book of Tobit, and his journey is guided by Saint Raphael.
Learn More: Tobias & Sarah as led by Saint Raphael

Jun 29th 2013 new
(quote) Cathy-564420 said: For example: Never marrieds are set in their own way or do not have children in their 40s and are looking for the young lady who can have children 10-20 years younger. Or worse, they do have some sort of mental issue and most definitely commitment issues. I have dated a couple never marrieds, and it is not stereotyping all nonmarrieds, just what I experienced.

I think that youre right about stereotyping since most divorced that I know of seem to have a mental issue.
I also think that some with an annulment might have a mental issue....especially if they have several children with a guy where the marriage is no longer valid.
Why would she stay with a guy for an extended period if the marriage was really invalid? That sounds crazy to me..rolling eyes
Jun 29th 2013 new
(quote) Ronald-937125 said: I think that youre right about stereotyping since most divorced that I know of seem to have a mental issue.
I also think that some with an annulment might have a mental issue....especially if they have several children with a guy where the marriage is no longer valid.
Why would she stay with a guy for an extended period if the marriage was really invalid? That sounds crazy to me..
Unfortunately, some women feel compelled to stay in a marriage for the sake of the children, even if it is an abusive relationship because they, feel they would have no support if they left. It takes a strong person to do this as it takes this same strong person to leave. Many people also believe in their marriage vows of "till death do us part."
Jun 30th 2013 new
Thanks, Johnny!
Jun 30th 2013 new
I am finding out that yes, it does count against me. Some formerly married people seem to think that we can't share the same degree of intimacy because we haven't been married. This is not true for me. I have had relationships that lasted 3,8 ,12 years. My most recent relationship only lasted 3 years but in that time we shared a deep level of love and intimacy, like I have never experienced before. I feel sad that it counts against us here. Until CM and this forum I never thought of it as a negative. sad
Jun 30th 2013 new
Its the person that counts . to many here judge the wrong way . you can have your opinions . but you may be losing out .
Jun 30th 2013 new

Doesn't count , why would it?

You just have to live life, and not think about does this count or that count. I'd prefere someone that has never been married. But I'm not going to disregard someone that has been married. You never know what random curve ball God is going to throw at you in this life. So don't think of that as a discredited feature.

Cheers!
Jun 30th 2013 new
(quote) Rhonda-45054 said: Unfortunately, some women feel compelled to stay in a marriage for the sake of the children, even if it is an abusive relationship because they, feel they would have no support if they left. It takes a strong person to do this as it takes this same strong person to leave. Many people also believe in their marriage vows of "till death do us part."

I agree with your above comments.

I still think it is crazy for some annulled marriages when it means that their marriage wasn't valid to begin with.

People change in marriages; that doesn't mean that their marriage wasn't valid to begin with. A man or woman can become an alcoholic, become abusive, become a sex addict, become bisexual or other things that would hurt a marriage. When Catholics divorce, they are still accepted into the church and can live a single chaste lifestyle.

There should be provisions for the divorced to get remarried in the church. Jesus said that Moses allowed divorce because of stubbornness; I think that is what is being allowed today in the Catholic church as well as Protestant churches. The idea that the marriage wasn't valid isn't always true and I think that most Catholics don't believe it is true for a lot of marriages that have been annulled.

Jun 30th 2013 new
(quote) Ronald-937125 said:

I agree with your above comments.

I still think it is crazy for some annulled marriages when it means that their marriage wasn't valid to begin with.

People change in marriages; that doesn't mean that their marriage wasn't valid to begin with. A man or woman can become an alcoholic, become abusive, become a sex addict, become bisexual or other things that would hurt a marriage. When Catholics divorce, they are still accepted into the church and can live a single chaste lifestyle.

There should be provisions for the divorced to get remarried in the church. Jesus said that Moses allowed divorce because of stubbornness; I think that is what is being allowed today in the Catholic church as well as Protestant churches. The idea that the marriage wasn't valid isn't always true and I think that most Catholics don't believe it is true for a lot of marriages that have been annulled.

Ronald, many annulments are not based on what went on during the course of the marriage. Many are based on the lives of the people before they received the Sacrament of Marriage. There are many factors weighed with both parties before an annulment is granted.
Jun 30th 2013 new
(quote) Rhonda-45054 said: Ronald, many annulments are not based on what went on during the course of the marriage. Many are based on the lives of the people before they received the Sacrament of Marriage. There are many factors weighed with both parties before an annulment is granted.
Thanks, I'm sure that there are many factors and that some are valid.
Jul 1st 2013 new
Excuse me?? Like I said in another thread, why should that count against you? What should never-marrieds do? Get married just to get married, just so they can get divorced? Never marrieds have just not find the right person yet. (Including me.) I would rather be never-married than get into a marriage just to be married and then be miserable. Does being never married imply there is something wrong with you? I don't think so.
Posts 81 - 90 of 167