Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for the discussion of current events,cultural issues and politics especially in relation to Catholic values.

Saint Thomas More was martyred during the Protestant Reformation for standing firm in the Faith and not recognizing the King of England as the Supreme Head of the Church.
Learn More:Saint Thomas More

Jul 08 new
And Marianne I pray for you to be more loving and Christ-like.
Jul 08 new
But I'm done with even bothering to read this thread. All I can see is a bunch of self-righteous Pharisees. So God bless you all.
Jul 08 new
(quote) Michelle-985969 said: But I'm done with even bothering to read this thread. All I can see is a bunch of self-righteous Pharisees. So God bless you all.
Yes, that is what you see because your conclusions are barbaric and everyone
told you so. You think we are all being uncharitable? Probably so. But murder
is far worse than being uncharitable as was said before.

You must have a lot of people on your list to pray for.
Jul 08 new
(quote) Wendy-387654 said: Our own government is not keeping church and state separate. Our government needs to follow our 1st amendment re: religious liberty:

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

Unfortunately, our government brought the fight of the HHS mandate to our Church's door. Our government wants to mandate non-profit organizations to have to provide insurance with procedures that counter their beliefs.

There are many lawsuits due to our government not keeping church and state separate: http://www.becketfund.org/hhsinformationcentral/
What I find interesting here is how one defines establishment of a religion. Is codifying a particular teaching of a religion into law establishment? The way to view this in light of the 18th century is (I believe) that creating a national or state church is forbidden, but passing laws in keeping with the moral teachings of a particular religion is not provided that one does not violate another religion. Passing a ban on abortions would not do this as no religions have getting abortions as a requirement and any that do likely have severe enough problems that we would likely pass Constitutional amendments to keep them away.

Note: Judaism does have a requirement to get an abortion if the life of the mother is in danger; I prefer to keep away from health/rape/genetic conditions arguments in abortion debates as the overwhelming majority are completely voluntary.
Jul 08 new
(quote) Michelle-985969 said: Exactly we Catholics are called to be obedient. Not everyone else.
Yes, but Michelle, this is what we believe:

I believe in one God, the Father almighty, maker of heaven and earth, of all things visible and invisible.

I believe in one Lord, Jesus Christ, the only Begotten Son of God, born of the Father before all ages. God from God, light from light, true God from true God, begotten, not made, consubstantial with the Father. Through him all things were made. For us men and for our salvation, he came down from heaven, and by the Holy Spirit, was incarnate of the Virgin Mary and became man. For our sake, he was crucified under Pontius Pilate. He suffered death and was buried and rose again on the third day in accordance with the Scriptures. He ascended into heaven and is seated at the right hand of the Father. He will come again in glory to judge the living and the dead and his kingdom will have no end.

I believe in the Holy Spirit, the Lord, the Giver of Life, who proceeds from the Father and the Son, who with the Father and the Son is adored and glorified, who has spoken through the prophets.

I believe in one, holy, catholic, and apostolic Church. I confess one baptism for the forgiveness of sins and I look forward to the resurrection of the dead and the life of the world to come. Amen.

We are called to be disciples of Christ. To evangelize. To tell others about Him. To help (ourselves) and others enter heaven, knowing the path is narrow. As Catholics, we don't live and let live. Jesus will come again, to judge the living and the dead and we have an obligation to help others to know about God, and His laws.

Jul 08 new
arianne I am against abortion. What part of that is not clear to you?
Jul 08 new
(quote) Alex-789274 said: What I find interesting here is how one defines establishment of a religion. Is codifying a particular teaching of a religion into law establishment? The way to view this in light of the 18th century is (I believe) that creating a national or state church is forbidden, but passing laws in keeping with the moral teachings of a particular religion is not provided that one does not violate another religion. Passing a ban on abortions would not do this as no religions have getting abortions as a requirement and any that do likely have severe enough problems that we would likely pass Constitutional amendments to keep them away.

Note: Judaism does have a requirement to get an abortion if the life of the mother is in danger; I prefer to keep away from health/rape/genetic conditions arguments in abortion debates as the overwhelming majority are completely voluntary.

Alex: Is that a requirement or a suggestion in Judaism?
Jul 08 new
(quote) Michelle-985969 said: arianne I am against abortion. What part of that is not clear to you?
Nothing much that you have said makes sense. Don't worry about what I do
or do not understand about you.

I thought you signed off.
Jul 08 new
(quote) Michelle-985969 said: arianne I am against abortion. What part of that is not clear to you?
Nothing much that you have said makes sense. Don't worry about what I do
or do not understand about you.

I thought you signed off.
Jul 08 new
OMG you should really listen to yourself. No one is saying not to counsel people to dissuade them from having an abortion! But after doing the best you can, you cannot stop a person from doing what they think is right.

Not even God does this. It's dangerous to become overzealous and become a religious despot.
Posts 111 - 120 of 164