Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match!

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for the discussion of current events,cultural issues and politics especially in relation to Catholic values.

Saint Thomas More was martyred during the Protestant Reformation for standing firm in the Faith and not recognizing the King of England as the Supreme Head of the Church.
Learn More:Saint Thomas More

Jul 6th 2013 new
"Freedom is a fragile thing and is never more than one generation away from extinction. It is not ours by inheritance; it must be fought for and defended constantly by each generation, for it comes only once to a people. Those who have known freedom, and then lost it, have never known it again." Ronald Reagan, 40th President of the United States. First Inaugural Message as Governor of California, January 5, 1967. Del.icio.us Tags: Fr
Jul 6th 2013 new
(quote) Ronald-937125 said: I don't think it's a "I hate Obama thread", if a white Republican was leading a country down a road leading to declining moral values, it would be who ever is doing that is an evil person.
The leader can make a difference in a trend, but the leader needs to know the difference between right and wrong.

Ok you're point is well-taken but all you fail to understand that morals have been changing for a long time already and it isn't right to blame one person for that change. The current economy problem has very much to do with Bush. But I'm talking more about the things that are in contradiction with the church teaching.
Jul 6th 2013 new
(quote) Michael-556947 said: One president had a hard time with this one did not .

It is impossible to rightly govern a nation without God and the Bible"
It's being done already.
Jul 6th 2013 new
My point is that you personally don't have to have an abortion or use contraception or condone gay marriage. I personally don't support those things but everyone is free to chose. That is why in this country there is separation of church and state. If not, we would be like an Islamic country.
Jul 7th 2013 new
(quote) Michelle-985969 said: Ok you're point is well-taken but all you fail to understand that morals have been changing for a long time already and it isn't right to blame one person for that change. The current economy problem has very much to do with Bush. But I'm talking more about the things that are in contradiction with the church teaching.
One could make that argument during the first couple of years of Obummer taking office.

Actually, the economic difficulties had their roots bank in the Carter years, But both parties have bought into a lot of nonsense such as it is everyone's right to own a home so they had to make it easy for even those who should never be loaned a dime for any purpose to buy a house.

Barnake just followed in his predecessors footsteps by flooding the world with more dollars far beyond what was actually needed for the level of economic activity.

Congress (both parties at fault) required banks to make tyhe bad hosuing loans they did.Banks in turn tried to make a profit making bad loans. Eventually the the faulty basis for the housing boom had to crash and it did. If it had not done so while Bush was still in office, it would have occurred early in Obummer's first term.

Serious deregulations of all kinds began under Carter and colntinued under every following adminstration. Although some deregulation was obviously called for, it went too far under every President since until Obummer.

After the last five years, we have far more and worst regulations than before the whole deregulation started.

Government has been intruding and messing up health care since Medicatre was first passed. So the cure dictated by Polosi and Obummer is for the Government to directly take full control of one of the largest single segments of the economy. One of the major respoinses to that is then increase in part time jobs in all levels of industry to avoid the unholy costs the sytem is now saddled with.

And all of you who believe Obamacare is a god send, just remember, if your employer sucessfully avoids supplying you health insruance, you will be required to buy and pay for your own. And if you don't, because you can't afford it, youm will be fined with a very steep fine and hounded by the IRS to pay it, and you will no more able to afford that fine than you afford to pay for the insurance. Welconme to the world on the otherside of the looking glass. That's what happens when Congress, in the memorable words of Nancy Pelosi, poasses a law so they find out what's in it.

So yes, the couintry has been going down hill for many years, under both Democratic and Republican Administrations. The most destructive generation in human history that fomented the nonsense of the 6o's and 70's are now running things. Chapioned by Obummer, the "progessive" justices of the Supreme Court led by that somewhat Catholic Justice Kennedy ( put on the Court by the only half way decent President these United States have had since Harry Trument - Roanald Reagan), they are now enshrining every perverted idea they had and their resulting consequences.

The ruling elite (both parties) of this country are so far removed from the lives of those they rule that someday there will be a drastic change arising from the malighned "silent majority." Unfortunately, when that happens those starry eyed boomers who are pushing every idiotic idea of what rights and freedom means today will find all of them removed and the supposed beneficiaries of these moronic freedons will find themsleves worse off then before the whole movement started.

Jul 7th 2013 new
(quote) Paul-866591 said: One could make that argument during the first couple of years of Obummer taking office.

Actually, the economic difficulties had their roots bank in the Carter years, But both parties have bought into a lot of nonsense such as it is everyone's right to own a home so they had to make it easy for even those who should never be loaned a dime for any purpose to buy a house.

Barnake just followed in his predecessors footsteps by flooding the world with more dollars far beyond what was actually needed for the level of economic activity.

Congress (both parties at fault) required banks to make tyhe bad hosuing loans they did.Banks in turn tried to make a profit making bad loans. Eventually the the faulty basis for the housing boom had to crash and it did. If it had not done so while Bush was still in office, it would have occurred early in Obummer's first term.

Serious deregulations of all kinds began under Carter and colntinued under every following adminstration. Although some deregulation was obviously called for, it went too far under every President since until Obummer.

After the last five years, we have far more and worst regulations than before the whole deregulation started.

Government has been intruding and messing up health care since Medicatre was first passed. So the cure dictated by Polosi and Obummer is for the Government to directly take full control of one of the largest single segments of the economy. One of the major respoinses to that is then increase in part time jobs in all levels of industry to avoid the unholy costs the sytem is now saddled with.

And all of you who believe Obamacare is a god send, just remember, if your employer sucessfully avoids supplying you health insruance, you will be required to buy and pay for your own. And if you don't, because you can't afford it, youm will be fined with a very steep fine and hounded by the IRS to pay it, and you will no more able to afford that fine than you afford to pay for the insurance. Welconme to the world on the otherside of the looking glass. That's what happens when Congress, in the memorable words of Nancy Pelosi, poasses a law so they find out what's in it.

So yes, the couintry has been going down hill for many years, under both Democratic and Republican Administrations. The most destructive generation in human history that fomented the nonsense of the 6o's and 70's are now running things. Chapioned by Obummer, the "progessive" justices of the Supreme Court led by that somewhat Catholic Justice Kennedy ( put on the Court by the only half way decent President these United States have had since Harry Trument - Roanald Reagan), they are now enshrining every perverted idea they had and their resulting consequences.

The ruling elite (both parties) of this country are so far removed from the lives of those they rule that someday there will be a drastic change arising from the malighned "silent majority." Unfortunately, when that happens those starry eyed boomers who are pushing every idiotic idea of what rights and freedom means today will find all of them removed and the supposed beneficiaries of these moronic freedons will find themsleves worse off then before the whole movement started.

Sorry for all the errata and misspellings in the above. As I was clicking the spell check command, for some reason the submit command was executed instead.
Jul 7th 2013 new
(quote) Cathy-564420 said: Thanks for the info here, but I still don't know what to do with my stocks/bonds/savings? The only person making money on my money is my bank. I'm afraid the all American dollar invested or not will be worth nothing so it probably doesn't matter where you put it, but I'm sure Obama has an idea for US, ugh.

OK, I'm going to my Happy Thoughts.
As someone else has already noted, having a bank handle your investments, IRAs, etc. is not the best idea in the world.

Unless you are very wealthy and doing business with the "personal" banking operation withing the bank (those often require a minimum of about $5 million of investment assets, you are dealing with the retail side of the bank and are generally paying way too much for the services performed and dealing with barely qualified advisers..

Unless a person is well schooled in the ins and outs of investments and interested and adept at managing it themselves, they are best off investing in quality no-load mutual funds for either stock or fixed income investing.

The same caution holds when doing business with even the best brokers. Always remember, they earn their keep by getting you to trade frequently.

The old standby rule still holds: if you invest in individual securities, invest in quality companies or paper. Do not try to time the markets, you will more often be wrong than right, Buy and hold; making changes in your portfolio only when the situation of a specific security held changes for the worse. That does not mean that the price has decline.It means that the outlook for the Company has turned bad; i.e. it is now being badly managed, the industry the company is in is dying because it is being superseded by new technology - think the US auto companies as the country went into recession; the newspaper and news magazine industry today, publishing in general today.

Never buy gold or silver to make money.The best it can do for you is somewhat protect yourself against inflation. In the early years of the 1900's an ounce of gold would buy you a quality man's suit. That is exactly what an ounce will do for you today. A person who invested in gold at the highs during the last gold boom in the 80's had to wait until just a few years ago to break even on their purchase price. Meanwhile they had to spend money insuring that gold, paying for its storage etc. So it was only close to the highs of the current boom to actually break even.

During that precious metal boom, I had a client who bought a silver ingot as an investment. from a broker which gladly stored it for her at no cost to her. When the market broke and the price declined drastically, the brokerage told her she should sell as they would no longer provide storage services for her. She asked me what she should do, I told her to take delivery of the ingot and use it as a paper weight or door stop to remind herself never to invest in precious metals again..
Jul 7th 2013 new
This may fit here: www.breitbart.com
Jul 8th 2013 new
I really do agree with that video clip of Ruto in Kenya. Definitely a good one! Thanks for the link Larry. He's certainly speaking the truth and standing for what is morally right. I like people like that.

Praying and hoping for leaders like Obama, that they'll be God-fearing people like Ruto into doing what's just in God's sight and their people, by leading one's nation with wisdom, compassion, understanding and right judgement. By doing so, one must have strong faith and positive conviction in God. Obama needs an incredibly change of mind, heart and soul, especially faith in the ONE we believe, honor and respect. May God have mercy and bless America and the world in these most difficult, and demonization times. May the truthful quote in American coins "In God We Trust" resound and lived out, as we strive for a great and positive change for our leaders through prayer, attendance of Mass, sacrament of reconciliation, rosary/novena, fasting and hope.

America don't forget your center which is God Himself, and all life centers in Him. In Jesus name, Amen.
Mary our Mother and our Help, Pray for us. theheart rosary

Posts 61 - 70 of 164