Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match!

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for the discussion of current events,cultural issues and politics especially in relation to Catholic values.

Saint Thomas More was martyred during the Protestant Reformation for standing firm in the Faith and not recognizing the King of England as the Supreme Head of the Church.
Learn More:Saint Thomas More

Jul 8th 2013 new
(quote) Jerry-74383 said: Do you also advocate that there should be no laws against murder, rape, battery, theft, etc.?

Your question is pointless. We have those laws already.
Jul 8th 2013 new
(quote) Michelle-985969 said: Your question is pointless. We have those laws already.
We also had laws against abortion. What is the difference?

Jul 8th 2013 new
(quote) Jerry-74383 said: We also had laws against abortion. What is the difference?

You are talking about Church laws not government laws. Sir with all due respect, I believe the best thing for a country is separation of church and state. This is part of what being a democracy is all about. If you want to live in a country governed by religion people should just move to Saudi Arabia or any other country of that nature.
Jul 8th 2013 new
(quote) Michelle-985969 said: I am responsible for no one other than myself. if someone decides to jump off a cliff, am I responsible for that person's decision as well?
If you have the opportunity to at least attempt to preventt hem from doing so and you do not try, then, yes, you share in the culpability.

Further, suicide and murder are not comparable: the latter is to take the life of another, innocent, person.
Jul 8th 2013 new
(quote) Michelle-985969 said: You are talking about Church laws not government laws. Sir with all due respect, I believe the best thing for a country is separation of church and state. This is part of what being a democracy is all about. If you want to live in a country governed by religion people should just move to Saudi Arabia or any other country of that nature.
No, I am not speaking of church laws. Why do you think the Supreme Court was ruling on Roe v. Wade if there were no secular laws against abortion prior to that time?

Jul 8th 2013 new
Sorry I think I misunderstood your question. You were saying that once in the USA, abortion was illegal. Ok but that didn't stop abortions from happening. I get what you are saying perhaps there were less.
Jul 8th 2013 new
(quote) Michelle-985969 said: You are talking about Church laws not government laws. Sir with all due respect, I believe the best thing for a country is separation of church and state. This is part of what being a democracy is all about. If you want to live in a country governed by religion people should just move to Saudi Arabia or any other country of that nature.
If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under. Ronald Reagan
Jul 8th 2013 new
(quote) Jerry-74383 said: If you have the opportunity to at least attempt to preventt hem from doing so and you do not try, then, yes, you share in the culpability.

Further, suicide and murder are not comparable: the latter is to take the life of another, innocent, person.
Yes surely you can counsel someone not to have an abortion or not to commit suicide. I think that is very God-like and noble. But that can only happen if you know the person or you work at some kind of agency. Well technically suicide is murder.

[Moderator's Note: the phrase " just that in abortion you are taking two lives instead of one." was removed from the end of the last  sentence of this post per a correction from the author.]
Jul 8th 2013 new
(quote) Michelle-985969 said: Sorry I think I misunderstood your question. You were saying that once in the USA, abortion was illegal. Ok but that didn't stop abortions from happening. I get what you are saying perhaps there were less.
No law I am aware of is 100% effective at preventing the outlawed behavior. I am not aware that this consideration has ever prevented a law from being implemented.

yes, there were fewer abortions performed prior to the Roe v. Wade decision than after. Many, many fewer.

Jul 8th 2013 new
(quote) Michelle-985969 said: Yes surely you can counsel someone not to have an abortion or not to commit suicide. I think that is very God-like and noble. But that can only happen if you know the person or you work at some kind of agency. Well technically suicide is murder just that in abortion you are taking two lives instead of one.
www.youtube.com
Posts 91 - 100 of 164