Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for general discussion that doesn't specifically fit into one of the other CatholicMatch rooms. Topics should not be overly serious as this is to be more of a "cafe setting."

Saint Peter's Square was created so that more people could be in the presence of the Pope and was named after Saint Peter, one of Jesus's apostles.
Learn More: Saint Peter

Jul 5th 2013 new
Marge,
I totally agree that people without kids do not understand the challenges of single parenting even though they told me they were family friendly.

It's not that I WANT the job, but that I NEED the job, however I'm not able to drop everything at the last minute to accommodate them. I think it would give the impression that I will always do that, and I won't.
Jul 5th 2013 new
Well, as it turns out, I didn't get the job. I think the meeting today was a test and I failed. They said that they gave the position to someone else, which I found odd considering I was OFFERED the position on Monday. It was also odd that they re-posted the position on Tuesday after I interviewed on Monday. My gut was telling me that this was not the right job for me, but it was a job which is why I was willing, to some extent, to jump through their hoops. Looking at everything over the last few days, I think the meeting today was more of a test than anything. I gave them several options, bringing my son with me this AM, meeting at 4pm without him, meeting on Monday. I was even able to skype with the only drawback being that I would have to do the audio over the phone since I don't have a mic on my computer.

I know that I am better than this and based on what I was told in the interview, I am better than most of the people that hold the position were when they started. I know that something is right around the corner..... I just need to keep on going.

Thanks for all the feedback. I'm glad to know that I wasn't alone thinking that their demands were a little out of the ordinary.
Jul 5th 2013 new
(quote) Kate-806727 said: Well, as it turns out, I didn't get the job. I think the meeting today was a test and I failed. They said that they gave the position to someone else, which I found odd considering I was OFFERED the position on Monday. It was also odd that they re-posted the position on Tuesday after I interviewed on Monday. My gut was telling me that this was not the right job for me, but it was a job which is why I was willing, to some extent, to jump through their hoops. Looking at everything over the last few days, I think the meeting today was more of a test than anything. I gave them several options, bringing my son with me this AM, meeting at 4pm without him, meeting on Monday. I was even able to skype with the only drawback being that I would have to do the audio over the phone since I don't have a mic on my computer.

I know that I am better than this and based on what I was told in the interview, I am better than most of the people that hold the position were when they started. I know that something is right around the corner..... I just need to keep on going.

Thanks for all the feedback. I'm glad to know that I wasn't alone thinking that their demands were a little out of the ordinary.
Dear Kate,

I am so glad that you seem at peace with this! I will pray, good soul, that you find the right position.

I have almost only had that experience of being called in and offered a position same day or within days. That isn't strange to me. But to repost and not consider the holiday weekend! Yikes. God has certainly blessed you in sparing you these people!

Chin up, beautiful lady, you will find something infinitely better! I wish you lived near me!! We are growing like crazy and have so many positions. And are almost ridiculously family friendly!

In Christ,
Leyden
Jul 7th 2013 new
Thinking about you today. Any updates?
Jul 7th 2013 new
Thanks for thinking about me Marge. I didn't get the job. My gut told me it wasn't right, and as always, you should trust your gut. Instead of starting a new job tomorrow, I'm back to job searching, praying something will come along soon.

Jul 8th 2013 new
(quote) Lina-796057 said: ...my impression of it is that the employer has a sense of "owning" the employees' time.
That is EXACTLY what an employer does. That's what he's paying for.
In some cases (law, medicine, the "trades") he's paying for specific skills...but for most jobs, he's buying your time.
Jul 8th 2013 new
Well, natch. I meant some employers think they are the most important thing in a person's life--above family, above health, etc. That it's just a one-way relationship. I think that's a bad mentality. Yes, the work has to be done, the company needs to thrive, but if the company doesn't make allowances for humanity, for people's individual needs off the work site (when emergencies come up, when a single parent's child care falls through, etc), then .... well, it's sad. Sorry, I got distracted by Google's special picture today & lost my train of thought! embarassed
Posts 11 - 17 of 17