Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match!

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for the discussion of current events,cultural issues and politics especially in relation to Catholic values.

Saint Thomas More was martyred during the Protestant Reformation for standing firm in the Faith and not recognizing the King of England as the Supreme Head of the Church.
Learn More:Saint Thomas More

Jul 7th 2013 new
(quote) Alex-789274 said: It does not. To make matters worse they have a breakfast every third Sunday. While they claim all are welcome, it gets called a Family Breakfast by an organization that says it is very family oriented.
Alex, talk to your pastor and make some suggestions- he may be receptive. Get some other parishioners involved too.
Jul 7th 2013 new
(quote) Alex-789274 said: It does not. To make matters worse they have a breakfast every third Sunday. While they claim all are welcome, it gets called a Family Breakfast by an organization that says it is very family oriented.
Does it really matter what they call it?

youtu.be

Jul 7th 2013 new
Time for Homer: www.youtube.com

How great to call something "Family Breakfast" when some of the parishioners may have lost family members to death ... make people feel even more lonely when they need fellowship the most. How about "Parish Breakfast" or "Parish Coffee Hour" instead? I know people are trying to be helpful, but singles and those who have lost loved ones recently are parishioners too.
Jul 7th 2013 new
Yes it does!
Jul 8th 2013 new
(quote) Jerry-74383 said: Does it really matter what they call it?

http://youtu.be/gifkCgoJ7SY

I suppose not, but it is awkward. By calling it a family breakfast, there is an expectation that families go. If I go and someone asks where my family is (it is a family breakfast) how do I respond? I am uncomfortable in social situations where I don't know the other people and would likely respond in a manner that makes him/her feel like an idiot. On the other hand calling it say a Parish breakfast avoids this problem.

I suppose this problem is contradicted by the fact that I don't have a wedding ring; however, I do know married men who do not wear one as they see it as a modern innovation that should be suppressed.
Jul 8th 2013 new
(quote) Alex-789274 said: I suppose not, but it is awkward. By calling it a family breakfast, there is an expectation that families go. If I go and someone asks where my family is (it is a family breakfast) how do I respond? I am uncomfortable in social situations where I don't know the other people and would likely respond in a manner that makes him/her feel like an idiot. On the other hand calling it say a Parish breakfast avoids this problem.

I suppose this problem is contradicted by the fact that I don't have a wedding ring; however, I do know married men who do not wear one as they see it as a modern innovation that should be suppressed.
Given your age, I don't think the are many who would assume you have a family if they see you there alone. If by chance they do -- and they mention it to you -- you could always respond that you're waiting for someone to introduce you to your wife. Who knows -- maybe the know a nice single woman?

Jul 8th 2013 new
In my parish we treat everyone as family. If we call ourselves brothers and sisters in Christ we are one big family. Our pastor heavily promotes fellowship time in addition to all of the various ministries that we have going on. I think that younger adults (20's) are one of the least represented demographics in the church. So many quit participating in their late teens, and don't come back until they feel the tug to bring their own children into the faith or have a crisis of their own that brings them back to participation in the life of the church. A smaller parish might not have enough "young adults" (single, newly married- with or without children) to have a group or ministry for them. If this happens a viccariate group could be beneficial. I go alone to many parish events and am SO fortunate to have a circle of close friends that I can sit with, visit, etc, and never feel like I am "alone in a crowd." The irritating times are when I am stalked by my former husband, even when he is there with the woman that he has been living with since 4 days after I moved out. Fortunately, 5 years have passed and it's gotten much easier.
Jul 8th 2013 new
nope
Jul 8th 2013 new
Yes biggrin
Jul 8th 2013 new
YES smile
Posts 21 - 30 of 36