Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for the discussion of current events,cultural issues and politics especially in relation to Catholic values.

Saint Thomas More was martyred during the Protestant Reformation for standing firm in the Faith and not recognizing the King of England as the Supreme Head of the Church.
Learn More:Saint Thomas More

Jul 10th 2013 new
John, your reply starts out reminding me of the Good Samaritan. Do nothing, let someone else do it. You then focus on the person that broke the law. Re read my post,. I am asking what is wrong in MEXICO that people feel they need to be exploited ro get here and then once here have it continue.

This web site is available world wide. I am going to the people. Ignoring a problem does not make it go away!

The final thing I remember, I couldn't make it through your entire post, is what in the world makes you think anyone in D.C. knows what they are doing, or are smarter?

Look at their actions. They place MANY things before God. It is wrong to follow an imoral law. We were called individually by Christ to evangelize! Tyrany does not allow us to exercize God's free will.
Jul 10th 2013 new
And I am not dictating what is to be done. Discussion educates! Anyone from Mexico can reply to educate us. Go watch the movie "For Greater Glory." The movie about Mexico loosing the freedom of religion.
Jul 10th 2013 new
(quote) Marianne-100218 said: Does Canada have a lot of illegal immigrants?
Not really, at least not the in same way as the US does. The issue is framed differently up here. Immigrants who are in Canada without immigration papers usually end up trying to claim refugee status under Canadian law. So, they try to establish that they were escaping war, persecution, etc. in their home countries. Some of those cases prove to be legitimate, some do not.

It is a lot harder to get to Canada, so the problem is not as common. The southern border is with the US, so anyone coming from Latin America or the Caribbean usually stops there, and doesn't bother trying to come further north. Coming from Asia or Africa (or even Europe) involves crossing an ocean, which is pretty difficult. There have been some cases of boatloads of people landing on Canadian shores without proper documentation, although those stories are pretty rare, and make big news if they happen.
Jul 10th 2013 new
Crime and poverty.
Jul 10th 2013 new
(quote) Angela-374523 said: Not really, at least not the in same way as the US does. The issue is framed differently up here. Immigrants who are in Canada without immigration papers usually end up trying to claim refugee status under Canadian law. So, they try to establish that they were escaping war, persecution, etc. in their home countries. Some of those cases prove to be legitimate, some do not.

It is a lot harder to get to Canada, so the problem is not as common. The southern border is with the US, so anyone coming from Latin America or the Caribbean usually stops there, and doesn't bother trying to come further north. Coming from Asia or Africa (or even Europe) involves crossing an ocean, which is pretty difficult. There have been some cases of boatloads of people landing on Canadian shores without proper documentation, although those stories are pretty rare, and make big news if they happen.
Angela:

I did some googling about the immigration problem in Canada and I found
the following reasons why Canada has control over illegal immigration.
I wish America did the same, because it would mean following the laws
already on the books. America has become a nation of lawlessness and
double standards it is not good for anyone.

The reference for the quote is below the quote.

"It is extremely difficult for most people to remain in Canada illegally as few employers in Canada will hire those without valid social insurance numbers due to taxation laws (and general unwillingness to break laws), and inability to obtain driver's licenses, enroll children in school, open bank accounts, apply for health insurance, etc. The vast majority of illegal immigrants simply can't feed themselves in Canada and leave within a few months once they realize they can't work. In addition, due to entry requirements and border itself it is physically more difficult to get to Canada. Finally, since there aren't a lot of illegals in the country and most have scanned passport information, it is easier for CIC and CBSA to track illegals down. Most potential illegals know all this and don't bother. The vast majority of those in Canada illegally are family members hiding in basements. Without a Canadian family member to support you, it's nearly impossible to live illegally in the country."

www.mirrorofjustice.com.
Jul 10th 2013 new
John:

I recently answered this question in a prior post. One main reason America
has such a huge illegal immigration problem is that businesses, especially
big business, hires them, for cheap labor of course.

The Federal Government is constantly raiding big plants and factories
full of illegals and shutting them down, only to have them reopen
again.

Big business is part of the problem. But when I go around to different
businesses, I see illegal immigrants working in the kitchens of
restaurants, making pizza, cleaning floors, etc. They are way cheaper
to hire given the fact that all the fringe benefits for them do not have
to be paid, and neither do the taxes in a lot of the cases.

I am going to post this again below. We can look to Canada to solve
our problem--but the problem really is that we do not follow the laws on
the books. America is becoming lawless and a nation of double
standards. I don't know about you, but I am sick of it.

"It is extremely difficult for most people to remain in Canada illegally as few employers in Canada will hire those without valid social insurance numbers due to taxation laws (and general unwillingness to break laws), and inability to obtain driver's licenses, enroll children in school, open bank accounts, apply for health insurance, etc. The vast majority of illegal immigrants simply can't feed themselves in Canada and leave within a few months once they realize they can't work. In addition, due to entry requirements and border itself it is physically more difficult to get to Canada. Finally, since there aren't a lot of illegals in the country and most have scanned passport information, it is easier for CIC and CBSA to track illegals down. Most potential illegals know all this and don't bother. The vast majority of those in Canada illegally are family members hiding in basements. Without a Canadian family member to support you, it's nearly impossible to live illegally in the country."

Jul 10th 2013 new
That quote is fairly accurate. People in Canada do not want to hire illegal immigrants because of the hassles, so it is less attractive to be in Canada illegally. You don't really get away with anything by hiring people without documentation, because just about everything you have to do in life requires documentation, and someone along the line will report to authorities.

There is something called the Temporary Foreign Worker program in Canada. But those people who come to Canada to work under that program are sponsored by employers and there is official paperwork associated with their stay in Canada. I'm not sure if there is anything similar in the US, but if you have a government program that makes it legal to come to the country to work for short periods, you are less likely to have people coming illegally.

Jul 10th 2013 new
clap clap clap John!
Jul 10th 2013 new
(quote) Clair-6292 said: In the debate over illegal immigrants it is often said Mexicans are in an effort to make a better life for their family. Fair enough.

I would like to know what is up in Mexico that this can't be done there?
They have a history of political instability. Within a few decades of independence they fought and lost a war with Texas and then the US and in the process lost lots of territory. The only politician at the time who believed in Mexico was Santa Ana and he kept seizing power. With independence, I don't think they had anything that kept the country together. The US at least had certain ideals we went to war over.

Some of the problem is likely America's drug war. This has lead to some people getting rich in Mexico twisting the laws (or ignoring them) for profit. The prohibition on gun ownership makes it easy to victimize individuals to subvert an entire area. If someone were to try running a section of the US as the drug cartels run some parts of Mexico, he would be shot in short order.
Jul 10th 2013 new
(quote) John-971967 said:

Clair, and those like-minded,

I know you want to talk about the other side of the fence so to speak, but as much as we may agree or disagree it is a completely ineffective approach for us to do so. It really is a waste of our time and it drains our energies. Besides, you are not knowledgeable enough nor have the authority to do it. Dont think I am dumping on you - I dont think any of us here really are. There is a government process (agencies) that is expected to do that sort of thing on behalf of the American people.

The fact that the authorities at this juncture deserve a failing grade is beside the point I am trying to make.

So, how do we fix something that is broken? I say take care of those that are breaking it and put in place those that know how to operate it right. Yes, every what, when, where has a who. At least it should.

How about you/and others so inclined focus first on that which is broken and within your/our reach to fix?

My suggestion is this:

1. Let us pray to be properly disposed first, then

2. Take a cool bottle of water (maybe a 12-pack, to give out) and go talk with some illegals at their gathering point in your locale. See if they really are illegals and be courteous, after all, our civilian authority has limitations.

3. Then, on an occasional morning on your way to work, or at some point of leisure, stop off at the same community pick-up point for illegals (all large cities have them) and observe and report the enabler(s) of the illegals to your local authority having jurisdiction so the enabler(s) can be documented for breaking the law. Again, leave the illegals alone.

Will you do it? Pleasantly surprise me and tell me you are already doing this!

4. When the local authority fails to act (and they will I am sure they have many excuses why their hands are tied get it in writing) then start writing citizen complaints to that authority for failure to effectively execute their duty. Tell them that if you get no response to your complaint within two weeks, you will then go to their superior. If nothing there, file a complaint with the agency. And so on. And then repeat and repeat and repeat, refining your process so that you take away all official excuses over time. Do it until you have lodged a complaint against as many supervisors as it takes, then call the media and turn over your written complaints to a reporter who deems it newsworthy, if necessary.

5. Write letters to the editor in the local paper, exercise your vote too!

See, if the enablers (employers - be it citizens with cash, or licensed entities - whoever) are held accountable and are made to pay or are shut down from doing crooked business, others will take notice and take corrective action.

Who will do this? Anyone?

Is it not doing more than feeling helpless? Just whining doesn't make us helpless. Among other things, just constant whining (not saying anyone is doing it) is another form of laziness. My dad would call it SLOTH... one of the seven cardinal sins...

See, I still believe that officials are public servants (at least they are still supposed to be and that makes the American people their masters) and are required to enforce the law. Its their duty to serve the common good and to follow the law. Hold them accountable. When they are derelict, make it known by way of Christian charity, yet still factually and succinctly. Its the publics right to know. And its the publics right to expect good results. Expect measurable results. If not there, then they need to be replaced by those who take the law and public service seriously.

Public servants who subvert the law, refuse to carry it out, or are just negligent need to find something they CAN handle. There seem to be plenty of folks around who can take their spot.

Oh, BTW, I am open to better suggestions and I absolutely refuse to listen to whining why the above wont work from those that HAVE NOT gone through the process.

For what it's worth, in my local jurisdiction, I can pretty much guarantee you that there are verrry few illegals working within my industry (electrical). Most just keep getting busted! Can you guess why?

So, as my son says: peace out! .... meaning "later man" :)

John:

Here in NY no authority cares if you hire illegal immigrants. As a matter of
fact, they have agencies that make sure you give them a proper day's wage.

What you suggest makes a lot of sense, if some authority could do something
about the people who hire them, but no one can.

Laws on the books have been stripped of all validity.

We live in a lawless country--and a country of double standards.

Amen is all we can say.
Posts 21 - 30 of 82