Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match!

error: Forum not initialized properly! Please check the link and try again.

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

error: Post not found!

A place to learn, mingle, and share

Discussion related to living as a Catholic in the single state of life. As long as a topic is being discussed from the perspective of a single Catholic then it will be on-topic.

Tobias and Sarah's story is from the Book of Tobit, and his journey is guided by Saint Raphael.
Learn More: Tobias & Sarah as led by Saint Raphael

Jul 11th 2013 new
(quote) Joanne-846477 said: Thank you for the compliment on the meatloaf... I am known for my killer lasagna - maybe next Wednesday.

I'm more of an Oatmeal chocolate chip cookies person, so I pay better attention when I bake those, Sweetie!

Thank you Joanne...I'm starving..! I've been eating most of my life..I'm gettin perty good at it...
Jul 12th 2013 new
I don't know if our confessing to God and wiping our slates clean then means that God will reward us with a sweetheart. I don't think God keeps people single because they haven't earned a high enough status for Him to send us the love of our life as a reward for reaching the 100,000 heavenly points mark.

I think God looks at us and sees how He can make us grow the best. I don't think God is up in heaven looking at us and saying, "Hmmm, John walked past a homeless person and didn't give him any change and left church early, I'm not going to reward him with a spouse until he cleans up his act." Since He is constantly and relentlessly trying to make us more like Jesus, I think he sees a lot of people who can grow more, and minister more, as a single person.

I think God loves us all so personally and individually he knows how to best reach our hearts. Marriage is not all smile and joy, is is considered by many as being much harder than being single, but this challenge brings new spiritual growth. We as singles should not idolitarize (sp?) marriage putting it in front of our desire to know God better. It's hard but we should be thankful that God is working in us everyday to help us grow and be more like Him. If this means that this would be best achieved if we remain single all our lives (I really want to get married too, so it's scary but we need to trust in God here) then someday we will look back and say, "ok, wow, I see why things worked out for the best that way." Being single does not equal being alone; it may help us really get to know God, rather than just akin him everyday for a spouse and once we get a spouse, we will finally be happy. We have to be happy on our own, growing in God and being a complete person. Singleness can be a great time to have a "bromance" with God!
Jul 12th 2013 new
I don't know if our confessing to God and wiping our slates clean then means that God will reward us with a sweetheart. I don't think God keeps people single because they haven't earned a high enough status for Him to send us the love of our life as a reward for reaching the 100,000 heavenly points mark.

I think God looks at us and sees how He can make us grow the best. I don't think God is up in heaven looking at us and saying, "Hmmm, John walked past a homeless person and didn't give him any change and left church early, I'm not going to reward him with a spouse until he cleans up his act." Since He is constantly and relentlessly trying to make us more like Jesus, I think he sees a lot of people who can grow more, and minister more, as a single person.

I think God loves us all so personally and individually he knows how to best reach our hearts. Marriage is not all smile and joy, is is considered by many as being much harder than being single, but this challenge brings new spiritual growth. We as singles should not idolitarize (sp?) marriage putting it in front of our desire to know God better. It's hard but we should be thankful that God is working in us everyday to help us grow and be more like Him. If this means that this would be best achieved if we remain single all our lives (I really want to get married too, so it's scary but we need to trust in God here) then someday we will look back and say, "ok, wow, I see why things worked out for the best that way." Being single does not equal being alone; it may help us really get to know God, rather than just akin him everyday for a spouse and once we get a spouse, we will finally be happy. We have to be happy on our own, growing in God and being a complete person. Singleness can be a great time to have a "bromance" with God!
Jul 12th 2013 new
(quote) John-378360 said: I don't know if our confessing to God and wiping our slates clean then means that God will reward us with a sweetheart. I don't think God keeps people single because they haven't earned a high enough status for Him to send us the love of our life as a reward for reaching the 100,000 heavenly points mark.

Very wise words.
Jul 13th 2013 new
(quote) John-971967 said: Not saying that the single life is for you to you... 

You don't make sense here. Write with more clarity.

I've spent years discerning religious vocation--I've already done as you said. You don't know me, so don't make assumptions in the meantime.

Also, I've accepted that God may want for me to remain single my whole life. I'm fine with that. Not my choice (as I alluded to in the post you addressed), but His will be done, not yours or mine.
Jul 13th 2013 new
God must increase, and we must decrease.
Jul 13th 2013 new
(quote) Chris-427945 said: You don't make sense here. Write with more clarity.

I've spent years discerning religious vocation--I've already done as you said. You don't know me, so don't make assumptions in the meantime.

Also, I've accepted that God may want for me to remain single my whole life. I'm fine with that. Not my choice (as I alluded to in the post you addressed), but His will be done, not yours or mine.

Chris,

I don't know you. You are correct in that. Nor will I take the time to do so beyond that which you yourself disclose publicly here. Even then, I have limited interest in what you or others write here. No offense, just that my interests are elsewhere. And, I don't expect more from others toward me.

I responded to your posting because you posed a question and I just happen to be reading it and was inclined to answer.

I took your single (and short) posting that I addressed at face value, meaning on the sole content of it.

You essentially indicated the following it two statements and then posed a question:

(You) don't WANT (my emphasis) to be single
(you) discerned --> no priesthood
"what else is there?"

Based on what you acknowledge with the statement and what you omit from what we know is out there, yes, I CAN make limited assumptions. And your question was begging for an answer for what you may have been omitting with "what else is there?".

Now, if you don't want me/others making assumptions take more time to ponder and write more completely; don't oversimplify or omit.

Well, very clearly, you left out the "God's will" part, at that juncture. However, in part you indicated what YOU DON'T WANT. Yet, God's DESIRE is what we SHOULD be doing. And that is all I was pointing out. How is it not clear to you? Re-read my first sentence of my response. Then read the rest as backup.

Now, as for what you actually think and know and what you write, could be two different things. And, it seems it's the case here. I am not a mind reader and won't pretend to be. So, don't expect me to know what's in your head or in your previous posts outside this thread all the while you acknowledge that I don't. You can't have your cake and eat it too.

Sorry for making this long, but I am trying to be clear and complete. Clear enough, or am I still confusing you?

As for me, I do know that I tend to be very wordy, and it's a hard habit for me to break. Likely, a hazard of spending so much time around my children and explaining frequently. I do a lot of explaining of technical things at work too. It unintentionally carries over into here. So it is something I can improve, but it's hard for me to stop.

As for what you now say in your last two paragraphs, you paint a much more complete picture AND I applaud you for actually doing all that. I wish that all single men and women would.

If you are simply replying to the one partial sentence you cited earlier, then forgive me, I could have written it better. One does have to really slow down when reading it, to be able to get the full meaning I was intending.

Thanks for the exhortation for me to write more clearly. But I am technically inclined (did you notice my analytical style which often explores and tries to solve?) and not an eloquent style for the beauty that one can achieve with writing.

I am largely on the forums here to get a deeper understanding of myself and to expand my horizon of social skills by interacting with others here. We learn from one another and about ourselves and that is why I derive a certain pleasure from this.

Peace of Christ to you, Chris. Thanks for reading all that laughing I am certainly different, I know laughing

Jul 13th 2013 new
(quote) David-364112 said: Categories ....  Love does not classify....  Love invites.

As a lover of the Word, and a lover of your kitchen, are you classifiable as a 'marthamary', in that should the Lord visit you in your home to preach to your friends, you would invite him to sit at your kitchen bench and bellow into the living room so you can hear what he says while whipping up a delighful repast for your Friend and friends?

Posts 81 - 88 of 88