Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

Discussion related to living as a Catholic in the single state of life. As long as a topic is being discussed from the perspective of a single Catholic then it will be on-topic.

Tobias and Sarah's story is from the Book of Tobit, and his journey is guided by Saint Raphael.
Learn More: Tobias & Sarah as led by Saint Raphael

Jul 12th 2013 new
Than you all and God bless you for your posts!

In Christ,
Carlos
Jul 12th 2013 new
If you have a loving and caring family I think sometimes they can be the best sort of censor. They will see things about people that you might be blind too. My dad noticed my ex was a little off in some of his behavior when they had a conversation and I wasn't around. He didn't display that attitude toward me till later. My dad being easy going didn't mention it to me because he doesn't like to be interfering and thought I'd see any problems shortly....which I did a few weeks later.
Jul 17th 2013 new
Hi Carlos,
I can't judge whether your family or friends are looking for your best interests (only you yourself can make that judgement call) however I can tell you from past experience to follow your instinctual feeling. Sometimes unfortunately those we love and trust fall to sin through jealously, greed, etc. If you feel at this point in your life it is not wise to trust those around you then lean on God. God supersedes our earthly parents and friends. Treat God as if he was your father and your best friend. Go to him for advice. Go to him for support. Go to him for direction. Focus your energy on him. We should be doing this regardless but sometimes when you are alone its even more important to rely on him. He will show you the way. Be patient. Have faith and pray. Talk to him. He already knows your needs.

Best of luck and I will keep you in my prayers.

Patricia

Jul 17th 2013 new
(quote) Ann-69118 said: They will see things about people that you might be blind too.
Bingo. Some people get caught up so much in their emotions that they can't see the imperfections and failings of their partner. It's one thing to acknowledge an imperfection, make a judgment on it, and decide it's not an issue, but completely another when the imperfection is an issue but is ignored due to an emotional high. As with Ann's example, you really need to have family and friends interact with the person you're interested in so, at the very least, you will be able to get a more objective read on that person.

Of course, one's friends and family members may not always be objective, especially those who think you can never do any good in your life or ever attract positive persons. My advice is just to ditch those friends and relations because you don't need such negative Nancys in your life. smile
Jul 17th 2013 new
I would say, Usually Not.
Parents often don't know us as well as they think they do. Especially after we've lived away from home for a while and have learned and done things they don't know about or understand.
Siblings sometimes have an agenda of their own: to prove themselves smarter, or you dumber or uglier or whatever.
I do think, however, that a relative or friend who has a real objection to one's boy/girl friend should speak up with a concrete observation. Like: Gosh, he's kinda hot-tempered, isn't he? Is she always so touchy? How come he never seems satisfied with anything you do? Does she always drink like that? Have you asked how much debt he's carrying? She said she was arrested - do you know what for?
Posts 11 - 15 of 15