Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

Discussion related to living as a Catholic in the single state of life. As long as a topic is being discussed from the perspective of a single Catholic then it will be on-topic.

Tobias and Sarah's story is from the Book of Tobit, and his journey is guided by Saint Raphael.
Learn More: Tobias & Sarah as led by Saint Raphael

Jul 13 new
Kenny, Wing-Man Extraordinaire!

And it's nice to have so many people be body-image positive here. I'm glad this thread didn't turn nasty. I have dated bigger people, and I am a bigger person. Health is obviously important, but there's no need to be an Adonis for me! Just be tall enough to reach that thing I need -- on the top shelf -- nope, nope... over, over... no, behind THAT.... yes, thank you. No, I don't know HOW it got there...
Jul 13 new
(quote) Kenny-949632 said:

Matt is the nephew of Fred Astaire,,the icon dancer and actor..Matt owns his own dance studio and has performed on Braodway for year..Women.. get familar with Matt and learn to know him...

how did I do Matt...Did I earn that $50 dollars you paid me...???.
LOLOLOLOL
Jul 13 new
Hello, putting my two cents in. I think a little chubbiness can be quite cute... especially if there's a John Belushi personality to go with the physique :) Body insecurities, we all have them. I know I often feel self-conscious about my height, for example. The best thing is to try and see the whole person, instead of seeing their body (and by extension, them) as an object.
Jul 13 new
I rest my case
Jul 13 new
(quote) Kerry-970208 said:

What I am trying to say is, when I first met my husband, we were not instantly attracted to one another physically--either of us. Yet, as we got to know each other, that aspect of the relationship began to develop until the attraction was extremely strong. Had we gone only by looks to select one another from an online dating site, we would never have met. I know you didn't suggest to go ONLY by looks, but people glance at photos here and often just breeze by people without a second thought if they don't look one certain way.
Well, that would be an almost natural result of an on-line dating site; it's unfortunate, but people have to narrow down results. We only have X amount of time.

If two people worked or went to school together, it would be much easier to develop the relationship you are describing; our proximity to one another would give us a chance to see each other in a way where a long-term relationship was not our first and foremost interest in the other person.
Jul 13 new
I see that a lot, too. I used to put "full-figured" or "big and beautiful" as my body type, because even though I'm a larger lady I'm TOTALLY fine with my body and want someone who would see me the way I saw myself: Beautiful the way I am. But then I noticed guys who were emphatically on the larger side routinely putting "average" or "a little extra," and I realized the rules of the online dating game were just a teensy bit different than they might be in the "real world." You don't want to immediately (and unfairly) get filtered out, so you choose the more appealing description.

Now - when it's an option - I usually just select "curvy" for my body type. I have plenty of pictures up, including full-body, so I don't feel I'm being dishonest; I am curvy! "Full-figured" is probably more technically accurate, but "curvy" is definitely a more appealing word. I haven't had any complaints yet. :)
Jul 13 new
(quote) Kenny-949632 said:

Matt is the nephew of Fred Astaire,,the icon dancer and actor..Matt owns his own dance studio and has performed on Braodway for year..Women.. get familar with Matt and learn to know him...

how did I do Matt...Did I earn that $50 dollars you paid me...???.
oh definitely! With you Kenny I know I'll always get plenty of bang for my buck! wink but yes, I do teach dance. Pretty soon I'll start touring the country and teaching at parishes on the weekends...
Jul 13 new
(quote) Marianne-100218 said: Matt:

What is that picture about? Are you in some kind of a show?
It was from a routine at a dance convention! My partner was my coach at the time; she's a champion level dancer on the west coast swing circuit...
Jul 13 new
(quote) Moire-630682 said: I see that a lot, too. I used to put "full-figured" or "big and beautiful" as my body type, because even though I'm a larger lady I'm TOTALLY fine with my body and want someone who would see me the way I saw myself: Beautiful the way I am. But then I noticed guys who were emphatically on the larger side routinely putting "average" or "a little extra," and I realized the rules of the online dating game were just a teensy bit different than they might be in the "real world." You don't want to immediately (and unfairly) get filtered out, so you choose the more appealing description.

Now - when it's an option - I usually just select "curvy" for my body type. I have plenty of pictures up, including full-body, so I don't feel I'm being dishonest; I am curvy! "Full-figured" is probably more technically accurate, but "curvy" is definitely a more appealing word. I haven't had any complaints yet. :)
Here's something to consider: That you feel the need to explain the situation as you have here seems to be an indication your conscience may be bothering you about this rationalization. While it may not seem to be a serious situation ("it seems to be the accepted practice", "they can easily tell from my photos", ...), each time we ignore our conscience we become a little more deadened to it, making it more difficult to discern the next time.

The right thing is often not the easiest thing to do and it may seem to be an impediment to getting what we want; however, remember that the end never justifies the means.

Jul 13 new
Irrelevant. My ex-husband was about 70 lbs. overweight. Didn't factor into our marriage or our divorce. It's all about the brain and heart. Many a man has gotten much better or worse looking after 10 minutes of conversation.
Posts 31 - 40 of 94