Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for the discussion of current events,cultural issues and politics especially in relation to Catholic values.

Saint Thomas More was martyred during the Protestant Reformation for standing firm in the Faith and not recognizing the King of England as the Supreme Head of the Church.
Learn More:Saint Thomas More

Jul 21st 2013 new
(quote) Paul-866591 said: Nothing wrong with it, as long as she wears solely for her husband's enjoyment in the privacy of their home.
Got to thinking about this, and I remembered something my GF from 1970 asked me.

One of her ladyfriends was being sexually used by a man she was dating. He would ask the girl to completely disrobe so he could just look at her for his "enjoyment". Later, he convinced her to have sex regularly.

My GF asked me "How can that be love?"

Gotta feeling that, even in marriage, sexually objectifying a spouse might occur too much? After all, a person is much more than a sexual being.
Jul 21st 2013 new
(quote) Katie-547561 said: I am sure I am opening a can of worms here but I am curious to see what everyone thinks, male and female.

Matt Fradd posted about this on his blog, which can be found here, along with a video:
http://mattfradd.com/2013/07/11/should-a-christian-woman-wear-a-bikini/

I found the video to be very informative, especially the information about the Princeton University study and also the fact that a stripper had to model the first one, no models would!

So --- what do you think? Should a Christian woman wear a bikini? Why or why not?

I personally find myself asking the question - would you feel comfortable wearing only your underwear in public? If not, then when are you comfortable wearing a bikini?
And are our clothing choices really all about our own comfort or rather, the comfort of those around us?
No. women should be modest. and men
Jul 21st 2013 new
(quote) David-364112 said: Why would any husband ORDER his wife not to wear a bikini?

Are we savage Bedouins in the Arabian desert or wild-eyed Pashtuns in the remote highlands of Afghanistan - or are we civilized human beings??
Women should always dress modestly even on a beach...
Jul 21st 2013 new
(quote) Gerald-283546 said: Yes!

Definitely, it is Ok for a Christian woman to wear a bikini, in my opinion. The human body is beautiful and to be admired. False modesty or embarrassment about our bodies is a cultural relic of Middle Eastern desert cultures that really makes little sense. Look at the burkahs of sharia law countries now and you will see this embarrassment of the body taken to its extreme. Fear of bikinis is in the same catagory.

The body should be celebrated just as should be the mind and the heart and all the gifts of humanness. We are not Puritans, although clearly some on this site would like to see us revert to Puritanism or a christian form of sharia law. Fine if that's what you want, but not for me.

Of course, there is a time and a place for everything. The term is decorum. One should not wear a bikini to a formal dinner party or to sunday mass. But a bikini on a hot day at the beach, on a boat, swimming or in your back yard is perfectly appropriate in my book.

In fact I see nothing wrong with women going topless in those situations. I've spent time in villages where this was common and women breast fed in public and I thought it was the most natural, beautiful, and heathy thing in the world. In that atmosphere, the false cultural sexual baggage that western culture places on the female breast disappears and it is just physical beauty in the same sense as a leg, and arm or a face, with an appropriate function and lots of variety in form.

I'm reminded of how Jesus handled the cultural baggage of dietary laws in his day. He said that it is not what a man puts into his mouth that defiles him, but rather what come out of his mouth. I think it is the same with the human body. It is not the sight of a human body that defiles a person but rather the mental response...often culturally conditioned, that a man has to the sight. Cultures invented this embarrassment about the body and one can rid oneself of the false attitude by just chosing to do so.

Of course, being a physician, i see lots of bodies and so maybe have a more open minded view of this than more sheltered souls. Still, I think my view is sound. I had it before my training. If you look over most traditional societies, breasts are usually uncovered in warm climates, while the sexual organs are usually covered. This is natural. Breasts are not sexual organs and neither is skin. The area that should be modestly covered and reserved for the husband is indeed rather small.

So, I say, enjoy your bikinis. There are a lot more important issues to worry about! Like what comes out of our mouths :-)

Where are your morals.
Jul 21st 2013 new

This issue relates not just to modesty but to dignity. While broader society has accepted the bikini as regular female beach attire, I have no idea why anyone would want to wear less fabric than their typical underwear anywhere in public. Women who wear bikini tops with more modest bottoms (skort type bottoms) wear more fabric than their underwear. Most one piece swimsuits consist of more fabric than underwear, and some two-piece tankini bathing suits have more fabric than typical underwear. The average bikini has less fabric than typical underwear. For the record, men's speedo swim trunks are just as bad. A beach is a public setting, as is a public pool. If the body is a temple, then put some curtains in the window. embarassed

Jul 21st 2013 new
(quote) Angela-374523 said:

If the body is a temple, then put some curtains in the window.

Best the curtains are closed.
Jul 22nd 2013 new
(quote) Sheila-808916 said: Peter,
I checked out the website. Those swimsuits remind me of the ones worn in the old movie "Cheaper By The Dozen".
They remind me of wet suits. They are still tight and showing the curves, so what's the difference. I thought that wasn't allowed at all. I've only seen them in shawls that cover...well, like a cover. i figured they just weren't allowed to swim. Anyway.....
Jul 22nd 2013 new

No? Not atoll?

Aug 10th 2013 new
Thanks for sticking to your guns Mary. Mother Church is in alignment with your principles. I applaud your courage to stand firm in the forums with your testimony. During lovemaking husbands should not objectify their wives. Wives are obliged to please their husbands in godly ways. They are not responsible to obey any commands to denigrate their bodies by suggesting that they don the attire of a harlot. Catholics should not "have sex" they should "make love."
Aug 10th 2013 new
Your being a physician has no bearing on your being well tutored in Catholic morals. Since the fall of man, concupiscence entered into the heart of all men. I regret that I still permit myself the faux pas of becoming annoyed when people erroneously refer to the biblical passage of when Christ Himself referred to "it is not what goes in but what comes out" in order to weakly defend their take on what Jesus said. The Lord covered Himself save when He stripped to a loincloth to wash the feet of His servants and He saw fit that His mother wore not only full regalia but a head covering as well. As I recall it is fairly hot in Israel at the time. Our Lady herself said that there are more souls driven to hell by sins of the flesh than any other sin on earth. If you believe in the apparitions i suggest you listen up. Some men approve of scantily clad women because it is their pet sin and as such they are still mired in the flesh and unable to break free of the dangers of worldly opinion and advance to a higher level of spirituality. Citing cultural variances is a poor excuse for attributing the psychological disease of "shame". Again, it leans on man's knowledge and not the Eye of God. The only time nudity in public was wholesome was in Eden when Adam and Eve had no knowledge of their nudity. They were innocent.
Posts 121 - 130 of 164