Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for general discussion that doesn't specifically fit into one of the other CatholicMatch rooms. Topics should not be overly serious as this is to be more of a "cafe setting."

Saint Peter's Square was created so that more people could be in the presence of the Pope and was named after Saint Peter, one of Jesus's apostles.
Learn More: Saint Peter

Jul 15th 2013 new
(quote) Sam-948516 said: Sunday

Because saturday is only if you cannot go to the Sunday mass.

Sunday is the preferred day. Saturday is supposed to only be an exception to fulfill sundays obligation if one cannot make the sunday obligation
That's not what Canon Law says. The law is clear that a day of obligation is fulfilled by assisting at Mass on the day itself or on the evening before.

The law does not set any condition such as "you can only fulfill it on the evening before if you are completely unable to make it on the day itself".
Jul 15th 2013 new
(quote) Edward-4511 said: That's not what Canon Law says. The law is clear that a day of obligation is fulfilled by assisting at Mass on the day itself or on the evening before.

The law does not set any condition such as "you can only fulfill it on the evening before if you are completely unable to make it on the day itself".
To back myself up on this: the relevant canon is cited at this link.

www.ewtn.com
Jul 15th 2013 new
I was confusing Sunday fulfillment apart from mass (including not shopping etc). From my understanding (I could be wrong) it was only in 1983 that it became acceptable to go to Mass Saturday evening to fulfill the Sunday Mass obligation.

I am a more traditional Catholic, so I prefer to follow the way the Church has always done it apart from the social and modernistic pressures the Church has felt since Vatican II.

Jul 15th 2013 new
I like to go Sat. as well. There are many reasons for this, which I will not post but I will say I LOVE going to Mass anytime I can and try and go to Mass during the week whenever I can. When I go to Mass for me it is the happiest place on earth. NOTHING beats going to Mass. :) :)
Jul 15th 2013 new
Hi Sam,
I have read many of your posts and let me just say that you are extraordinary! If I were 20 years younger I would be sending you Hello's just so that you would notice me! Don't ever change.

In His Holy Name,
Elizabeth
Jul 15th 2013 new
(quote) Trish-977181 said: I like to go to Mass on Saturday night with my Mom. Which do you prefer? Saturday or Sunday Morning?
I like Saturdays.I always found it easier to go on Saturday.I used to go on Saturdays most of the time when I was a child.I also have a commitment to join the choir on Saturdays.
I start Sunday mornings with EWTN
Jul 16th 2013 new
(quote) Trish-977181 said: I like to go to Mass on Saturday night with my Mom. Which do you prefer? Saturday or Sunday Morning?
I prefer Sunday morning but will go to the Saturday Vigil or to am evening Mass on Sunday if circumstances dictate. But my preference is for Sunday morning.
Jul 16th 2013 new
I grew up going to Mass on Saturday night, and did the same after I left the house. I would have such a lovely routine Saturday nights, starting off with Mass, then going grocery shopping, and finally eating dinner while watching Britcoms on PBS.

But then I began to wonder why I didn't go on Sundays, especially since I did nothing out of the ordinary to recognize the holiness of the day. Like Marge I began to feel that attending the Saturday vigil was a bit like cheating. So, I transitioned to attending Sunday morning Mass at 8am. I like it because it's less crowded which makes it easier for me to focus. Plus, it's a great way to start off the day!

I will attend the Saturday vigil from time to time when I have family visiting and always feel indulgent when I sleep in the following Sunday!
Jul 16th 2013 new
Usually aim for Sunday at 5...It is the Youth Mass at our parish and draws a number of families with tweens/teens.
Jul 16th 2013 new
I love going to Mass on a Sunday morning.We do occasionally also go to a Mass on a Sunday at 5:00pm -our Priest has just begun this Mass more for young families,especially new families just getting back into going again.I think this is going really well,as they are not the odd ones out with wandering,talkative children as they become acostomed to being still and listening.More families are coming back to the Church.
Posts 21 - 30 of 112