Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for general discussion that doesn't specifically fit into one of the other CatholicMatch rooms. Topics should not be overly serious as this is to be more of a "cafe setting."

Saint Peter's Square was created so that more people could be in the presence of the Pope and was named after Saint Peter, one of Jesus's apostles.
Learn More: Saint Peter

Jul 16 new
I am blessed to attend a parish that provides lots of choices. We have Daily Mass M-F at 6:45am and 5:30pm, and Saturday at 7:45am. Sunday Mass is celebrated Saturday evening at 4:30pm and Sunday at 8:30am, 10:00am, 12:00pm, 3:00pm (Spanish Mass), and 5:30pm. I usually attend the 10am Sunday Mass, but recently I've been helping with the collection at the Sunday noon Mass. This Sunday, I'm on doughnut duty, so I'll be in the Parish Center at 7:45am to prep coffee, doughnuts, and juice to be ready by the time the 8:30am Mass is over. I'll be relieved at 9:30am, so I'll probably go to Mass right at 10am, then come back to the Parish Center to have a cup of joe and some conversation.

What I really miss is a true Midnight Mass at Christmas. I always spend Christmas with my father, and his church does the Vigil Mass at 5:00pm.
Jul 16 new
I go to 9:00 a.m. Mass on Sunday morning, since it is the only Mass at our parish. I belong to a small parish that is clustered with another small parish, so we only have one priest between the parishes. I belong to our music ministry, so I am always there to sing. biggrin biggrin Even though it's a small parish, it is home to me. hug hug It's been my parish all my life. Praying Praying

Jul 16 new
I like Saturday evening mass. It feels like I'm getting a jump on things by going to the "first" mass offered for the weekend. I don't mean that in a disrespectful way. I'm more of a night owl. Also, a folk group usually sings at the evening mass, (Saturday or Sunday night) and they are really good.
Jul 16 new
(quote) Julie-42315 said: I like Saturday evening mass. It feels like I'm getting a jump on things by going to the "first" mass offered for the weekend. I don't mean that in a disrespectful way. I'm more of a night owl. Also, a folk group usually sings at the evening mass, (Saturday or Sunday night) and they are really good.
And, as a child, my parents would take me and my sisters to the 8 am mass. It was never crowded and we were usually the only kids there. Mainly older ladies attended. Afterwards, we'd go to the bakery and usually have eggs for breakfast instead of cereal.

I just like having the freedom to make a choice as an adult and I'm lucky my parish offers a lot of masses.
Jul 17 new
When in Virginia, I like the 5:15 PM Sunday Mass because it is the Life Teen Mass with great participation from the congregation, and lots of singing. In Michigan, I attend the 8:30 or 10:30AM Sunday Mass. I prefer the greater participation at the 10 :30, but in the summer, the 8:30 is often better.
Jul 17 new
I attend mass on Sunday unless there are extenuating circumstances usually involving my parents that causes me to attend on Saturday afternoon (extremely rare). I normally drive to New Orleans to St Patrick's church for Solemn High Mass (Latin) which usually begins with Asperges at about 9:20am. I generally serve with about 8 to 12 other men as acolytes or servers (acolyte, crucifer, thurifer, etc.) unless I am traveling or away on Sunday morning. In that case, I look for the nearest Latin mass that I can find. As a last resort, I attend a novus ordo mass, but avoid teen masses which more often than not seem highly disrupted and less than efficacious. If you have not attended Latin mass, you should seek out an FSSP parish and attend one; you may just find the experience many times more pious than your run of the mill diocesan mass.
Jul 17 new
(quote) Sam-948516 said: I was confusing Sunday fulfillment apart from mass (including not shopping etc). From my understanding (I could be wrong) it was only in 1983 that it became acceptable to go to Mass Saturday evening to fulfill the Sunday Mass obligation.

I am a more traditional Catholic, so I prefer to follow the way the Church has always done it apart from the social and modernistic pressures the Church has felt since Vatican II.

If you are a traditionalist, then attending the Saturday evening mass is the one you should attend.

Traditionally, the liturgical day begins at sundown. The traditional time for sundown is usually considered to be around 4 PM on. That goes back all the way to the Old Testament and was and still is the way the Jewish Faith reckons the beginning of the liturgical day. It was adopted by the Church from the beginning.
Jul 17 new
Not true

St. Justin Martyr wrote that they gathered on the day of the Sun (Sunday) in 155 ad. While the vigil mass was celebrated the evening before, it was commemorated as part of a feast that was completed Sunday. The either or viewpoint did not come about until JPII, or at the very least until after Vatican II.

Allowing to go to mass on Saturday is a very recent option.

Traditionally it has always been Sunday proper.

Jul 17 new
(quote) Edward-4511 said: That's not what Canon Law says. The law is clear that a day of obligation is fulfilled by assisting at Mass on the day itself or on the evening before.

The law does not set any condition such as "you can only fulfill it on the evening before if you are completely unable to make it on the day itself".
When the Saturday vigil Mass was first instituted in the United States in the 1970s there was a restriction that it was permitted to be used to fulfill the Sunday obligation by those in certain categories of jobs (e.g. public safety, health care, etc.) who could not attend Sunday Mass due to their work schedule. The problem was very many parishes instituted the vigil mass, yet very few made the restrictions known -- with predictable results. By the time the 1983 Code of Canon Law was promulgated the abuses were so widespread that the restriction was removed.

So, while it is indeed permissible for anyone to attend the Saturday vigil Mass, one who wants to do the "right" thing might want to look at the original intention rather than a reluctant compromise forced by extensive dissent.

Jul 17 new
My parish Mass on Saturdays @ 4:00p.m. I like going at this time. Sometimes when it isn't possible to attend Saturdays at my parish...there is a youth Mass @ 6:00pm Sundays at another Church. Both are beautiful (the Saturday Mass has an all men's choir)
I always attended on Sundays until my parents' parish started offering a Saturday evening Mass. It was then I started meeting them and began attending on Saturdays.
Posts 31 - 40 of 112