Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for general discussion that doesn't specifically fit into one of the other CatholicMatch rooms. Topics should not be overly serious as this is to be more of a "cafe setting."

Saint Peter's Square was created so that more people could be in the presence of the Pope and was named after Saint Peter, one of Jesus's apostles.
Learn More: Saint Peter

Jul 17th 2013 new
Thank you Jerry

I knew I had read those reasons somewhere before, I appreciate the explanation
Jul 17th 2013 new
9:30 Mass on Sunday. I also like to go to the 7:30 Mass if possible. The Saturday Vigil is at 5:30, but I only go if there is some reason I can not attend on Sunday.
Jul 17th 2013 new
(quote) Paul-866591 said: If you are a traditionalist, then attending the Saturday evening mass is the one you should attend.

Traditionally, the liturgical day begins at sundown. The traditional time for sundown is usually considered to be around 4 PM on. That goes back all the way to the Old Testament and was and still is the way the Jewish Faith reckons the beginning of the liturgical day. It was adopted by the Church from the beginning.
Yes, the liturgical day does begin with 1st Vespers the preceding evening. However, at least in modern times prior to Vatican II it was not the practice to offer Mass for days of obligation the preceding evening -- with the exception of the midnight Mass for Easter which might start earlier than midnight depending on how long the vigil portion of the service ran.

Paul, do you have any evidence of it being a general practice prior to Vatican II for Mass to be offered the evening before the Mass being offered?

Jul 17th 2013 new
(quote) Jerry-74383 said: Yes, the liturgical day does begin with 1st Vespers the preceding evening. However, at least in modern times prior to Vatican II it was not the practice to offer Mass for days of obligation the preceding evening -- with the exception of the midnight Mass for Easter which might start earlier than midnight depending on how long the vigil portion of the service ran.

Paul, do you have any evidence of it being a general practice prior to Vatican II for Mass to be offered the evening before the Mass being offered?

I did not say or imply that in more modern times as opposed to ancient times, that Mass was offered on the eve. I did say, and you affirmed that the liturgical day starts with Sundown and that the early Church adopted the ancient Jewish practice on this.

There is no direct evidence either way in the New Testament except for the references to the celebration of "The Lord's Supper which could, but not of necessity, imply that Mass was celebrated in the evening.So it would not be inconsistent to think that it was celebrated as we now call it, at the vigil.

By the way I believe you mistyped. Prior to the revision of the Mass by Paul VI, the only Mass celebrated in more modern times was the Midnight Mass on CHRISTMAS Eve, not Easter. And yes, when I was a kid and an Alter boy the celebration for Christmas Eve in my parish did start earlier than Midnight. Mass was proceeded by a long procession and singing of Christmas Carols, but the Mass itself never started before midnight

Jul 17th 2013 new
I prefer Sunday mornings.
Jul 17th 2013 new
(quote) Jerry-74383 said: When the Saturday vigil Mass was first instituted in the United States in the 1970s there was a restriction that it was permitted to be used to fulfill the Sunday obligation by those in certain categories of jobs (e.g. public safety, health care, etc.) who could not attend Sunday Mass due to their work schedule. The problem was very many parishes instituted the vigil mass, yet very few made the restrictions known -- with predictable results. By the time the 1983 Code of Canon Law was promulgated the abuses were so widespread that the restriction was removed.

So, while it is indeed permissible for anyone to attend the Saturday vigil Mass, one who wants to do the "right" thing might want to look at the original intention rather than a reluctant compromise forced by extensive dissent.

Jerry,

You are correct.

The introduction of the Saturday evening Mass as a way to fulfill the Sunday obligation was institued by Pope Pius XII to allow people with different job requirements (specifically, public service employees such as policemen and firefighters) a means to fulfill their Sunday obligation.

As the saying goes, "If you give an inch they will take a yard," and many people used it to simply replace their Sunday morning Mass and sleep in, although I would state that most, if not all, do this out of ignorance.

It was never intended to become the "primary" Mass for anyone, although I suspect that with regular Mass attendance as low as it is already, there are not too many priests who are going to point this out.

Jul 17th 2013 new
The priest's ought to though.

True Catholics will stay in the Church. Obedience is a mark of faith. When Jesus explained the Eucharist in John, several disciples walked away. Christ did not try and soften the correct teaching.

If people will walk away from the Church or complain, then quite frankly they are lukewarm. Unless they are uncomfortable,t they will remain ignorant and the Church will continue to decay. Slippery slope.
Jul 17th 2013 new
not complain* but just leave, or refuse to go to mass
Jul 18th 2013 new

I usually go on Sundays at noon, or at 5pm. Occasionally, I would go on Sunday mornings, but only if I did not stay late on the previous Saturday night. :-)

I would attend a Saturday mass if I know that I might not be available to do so on Sunday.

What I miss back in the Philippines is the flexibility of choosing which mass to go to, because of the frequency of masses throughout the day (almost every hour from 5:30am to 8pm, with a little gap in the early afternoon).

Here, I prefer the Sunday 5pm at my church, because it is a Teen mass and has a much more livelier music and crowd (not just teens but other age group as well).

Jul 19th 2013 new
(quote) Trish-977181 said: I like to go to Mass on Saturday night with my Mom. Which do you prefer? Saturday or Sunday Morning?
Second Sunday of each month is our 0930 Holy Name Society Mass, so I stick to going at 0930.
Posts 41 - 50 of 112