Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

Discussion related to living as a Catholic in the single state of life. As long as a topic is being discussed from the perspective of a single Catholic then it will be on-topic.

Tobias and Sarah's story is from the Book of Tobit, and his journey is guided by Saint Raphael.
Learn More: Tobias & Sarah as led by Saint Raphael

Jul 16th 2013 new
(quote) Loretta-678584 said: I can't live with someone. I want the sacrament. I will either have that or I will be alone. if I lived with someone I wouldn't be able to receive the Eucharist without confessing all the time and it seems like a lie to go to confession and say I'm sorry and then persist in having sex outside the marriage covenant. I also know myself well enough to know that there is no way that I could have a man in my home, that I love and care for and not share that bond with unless it were for medical reasons. Just ain't gonna happen here.
I concur, Loretta. smile
Jul 16th 2013 new
For some of us here on CM, of any age, a Sacramental Marriage is a must.

I cannot envision any other kind of union between a man and a woman who want to SHARE their lives.

My marriage was anulled. There was something missing... or rather Someone: Jesus. After all I've gone through (and I believe many would agree), I would not dare enter a relationship if Jesus is not in it. It just won't work out.

Bless you for bringing up this issue. Some of us need to be reminded time and again that the Church is Wise, if only 'cause it's been 'round for so long (though the real reason is that He founded it)

Mari
Jul 16th 2013 new
(quote) Edward-982512 said: Does anyone ever get a church wedding with no license, i.e., a sacramental marriage that is not a legal one? Is that possible? Would Father bounce you out of the office for bringing it up?
I know a Lutheran pastor friend who told me he married an elderly couple without the legal part due to their particular finances and what the impact a legal marriage would have on their life.
This a good question. I have no idea.
Jul 16th 2013 new
(quote) Edward-982512 said: Does anyone ever get a church wedding with no license, i.e., a sacramental marriage that is not a legal one? Is that possible? Would Father bounce you out of the office for bringing it up?
The principle purpose of marriage is to provide a stable environment for raising and educating children. Without the legal protection of a civil marriage significant elements of that stable environment are missing. I believe that in most countries where religious marriages have no legal status the civil ceremony is performed first, followed by the religious.

Jul 16th 2013 new
Sounds to me like living a lie.
Jul 16th 2013 new
IMHO, cohabitation is simply bad business. Yeah, I see the challenges relating to wills, IRAs, pensions, etc., etc..

But it boils down to, "is you is, or is you ain't?". If you want a dedicated, sworn partnership you need to enter it completely.

No holds barred.
Whole hog.
In for a penny, in for a pound.
Otherwise, it's not marriage at all. And having been there and done that, I would not be satisfied with anything less.
Jul 16th 2013 new
I agree with 100%.
Martina
Jul 16th 2013 new
(quote) Martina-464542 said: I agree with 100%.
Martina
Me too. I certainly wouldn't want to live with someone without marriage nor keep dating for years due to the legal money issue. No strings attached.

I remember sitting in a waiting room and a woman sat next to me. She seemed to feel very troubled and felt the need to talk to me about her living situation. She had a great relationship with her boyfriend but knew it was wrong to live together without marriage and was embarrassed. She told me it was due to finances. Their ages were 70/80.

.Matthew 6: 25-34 NIV

Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more than food, and the body more than clothes? 26 Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they? 27 Can any one of you by worrying add a single hour to your life[a]?

28 And why do you worry about clothes? See how the flowers of the field grow. They do not labor or spin. 29 Yet I tell you that not even Solomon in all his splendor was dressed like one of these. 30 If that is how God clothes the grass of the field, which is here today and tomorrow is thrown into the fire, will he not much more clothe youyou of little faith? 31 So do not worry, saying, What shall we eat? or What shall we drink? or What shall we wear? 32 For the pagans run after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them. 33 But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well. 34 Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.

Footnotes:

Jul 16th 2013 new
Cohabitation of a dating couple is a sin period. There are no exceptions regardless of age. I think cohabitation with someone of the opposite sex period, regardless of dating status, is a sin period, but I would have to see what the church teaches about that.
Jul 16th 2013 new
Sam I think Quentin was wondering if a priest would marry them without the civil legal document and Jerry answered it in a previous post. I did find this interesting and my mind started to wonder if someone was married by a priest without the document, are they married? I know the civil law demands one before the sacramental marriage but it did get me thinking if the marriage would be valid if a priest married someone without it. I am over-wondering!

You are right about it but the grave consequences to the couple and to others. Look at how the norm has changed in the last 40 years and the repercussions from it. Us elders have a moral responsibility to be a good example. We all do.
Posts 11 - 20 of 57