Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match!

A place to learn, mingle, and share

Discussion related to living as a Catholic in the single state of life. As long as a topic is being discussed from the perspective of a single Catholic then it will be on-topic.

Tobias and Sarah's story is from the Book of Tobit, and his journey is guided by Saint Raphael.
Learn More: Tobias & Sarah as led by Saint Raphael

Jul 16th 2013 new
For me, living together is not an option. My conscience simply would not allow it. I have encouraged others in my age group to go to church and receive the sacraments, and I am very disheartened that recently an acquaintance from college who I had started to get to come back to church now no longer comes to church on Sunday because she needed an annulment, and the man she was engaged to also needed an annulment, and they chose to run off to Florida and get married by a judge instead of getting their annulments first. Now, she can't receive communion unless she commits sacrilege, and so she does not come to church anymore. How sad... Why would you subject yourself to that kind of judgment intentionally? Part of the problem is that many diocesan priests do not lay down the truth about what the consequences of these kinds of actions are to one's soul. If the priests spoke the truth from the pulpit, these kinds of questions would not even be needed. People should know what the church's position is because of the formation they received their whole lives in attending Catholic education and listening to Catholic priests give efficacious sermons. We need to pray for the lost...

Jul 16th 2013 new
My conscious as well would not allow me to live with someone without the sanctity of marriage, roommate or not, for my own purposes.

Also, if one were married in the Eyes of God, then shouldn't the civil union unite you both as one as well and one shouldn't be worried about who has more vice versa, pensions, IRAs, etc., and have full trust and giving of one's self fully with no barriers? I know lots of elders say they are going to spend every dime of their inheritance to enjoy themselves now, lol.

Anyway, I think elders should set good examples for the next generations to come!

"Buck up and buy the Cow";)

Jul 16th 2013 new
(quote) Cathy-564420 said:
"Buck up and buy the Cow";)

... says the little dairy farmer... ;-)
Jul 16th 2013 new
If that is so why don't you have some nice photo's on your profile. Are you hiding something????
Jul 16th 2013 new
Two friends of mine were married by a catholic priest missionary from New York in Peru 20 yeas ago and they have never found any reason to have it legalized here in the states although both are american citizens. the only reason to have it legalized is for the government to tax you and your estate when you pass on. I don;'t think it is any of the governments business.
Jul 16th 2013 new
(quote) Jerry-74383 said: The principle purpose of marriage is to provide a stable environment for raising and educating children.
I think that's a little two strict an interpretation.
Unitive AND procreative...on equal terms.
Jul 16th 2013 new
Amen Kayla!
Jul 16th 2013 new
(quote) Quentin-43809 said: Two friends of mine were married by a catholic priest missionary from New York in Peru 20 yeas ago and they have never found any reason to have it legalized here in the states although both are american citizens. the only reason to have it legalized is for the government to tax you and your estate when you pass on. I don;'t think it is any of the governments business.
Hi Quentin,
Being married I believe has better tax advantages and your estate would go to your surviving spouse.

There will be an estate tax due, you can guarantee yourself that if you give it to your non-civilly married partner and/or children. That is why people purchase life insurance policies to offset the unruly estate tax - Ugh. Two things we can't escape, death and taxes.

Unless there is a way around estate tax, I haven't heard.

Jul 16th 2013 new
(quote) Quentin-43809 said: If that is so why don't you have some nice photo's on your profile. Are you hiding something????
Just not very photogenic so obviously not hiding anything. shhh eyebrow
Jul 16th 2013 new
(quote) Quentin-43809 said: I guess I forgot to mention that living together in a celabate life, you know living without sex. Older people can do that but it might not be possible for the younger crowd. I just think that the church insistance on a ceremony and a signed piece of paper is really the only difference between the two life styles. What do you folks think?
Well, is it possible in a Catholic context to gain a sacramental marriage but not register it with the government? Why not do that? Avoids at least some of the problems, if so.
Posts 21 - 30 of 57