Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

Discussion related to living as a Catholic in the single state of life. As long as a topic is being discussed from the perspective of a single Catholic then it will be on-topic.

Tobias and Sarah's story is from the Book of Tobit, and his journey is guided by Saint Raphael.
Learn More: Tobias & Sarah as led by Saint Raphael

Jul 16th 2013 new
BTW, I wanted to point out her husband died 30 years before she did. Might be important here, I don't know.
Jul 16th 2013 new
(quote) Gary-936836 said: Well, is it possible in a Catholic context to gain a sacramental marriage but not register it with the government? Why not do that? Avoids at least some of the problems, if so.
I believe that one of the requirements of a valid Catholic marriage is that it be public, eg, the need for witnesses.
Jul 16th 2013 new
Ed,

Thanks for adding this perspective. My son was 6 when my former father-in-law was living with his girlfriend. One night over dinner he asked his dad "Will papa go to hell because he is living with Pam and not married to her? People who aren't married to each other shouldn't be 'sharing their bodies' with each other." His understanding of the commandments was pretty simple, including adultery. He did not know about the marital act, but he knew that "husbands and wives shared their bodies by sleeping in the same bed, seeing each other while get dressed in the bedroom or bathroom, and kissing on the lips." His dad paused and said, "Yes, that might happen." What a tragedy for a child to have to hear.

It doesn't matter how old we are, our state of life, our finances, etc. We are all called to "build the City of God." by our words and deeds. We are called to be role models of authentic Catholicism, each in our own state of life. It does not matter if we are celibate, religious, ordained, married, single, widowed, or divorced with or without and annulment.
Jul 16th 2013 new
Although I haven' t done the research, I agree with you. I believe that a Catholic marriage must be announced to the public, if at all possible.

I believe that there is a requirement, for instance, to publish the engagement announcement in a newspaper.

Also remember the words in the ceremony.... paraphrasing.... If there is anyone that knows of any reason to not proceed with this marriage, speak now or forever hold your peace. The only way that this would make sense is if the public at large knew about the upcoming wedding.

Ed
Jul 16th 2013 new
(quote) ED-20630 said: Also remember the words in the ceremony.... paraphrasing.... If there is anyone that knows of any reason to not proceed with this marriage, speak now or forever hold your peace. The only way that this would make sense is if the public at large knew about the upcoming wedding.

Ed
I believe in FSSP circles, the marriage is not only published in the bulletin, but the priest announces it at mass and asks specifically if anyone knows of any reason why these two should not be joined in Holy Matrimony to please come forward and let the priest know about it. So, this is still done today, just not in diocesan churches as far as I know...
Jul 17th 2013 new
First off Cathy, you are a very attractive women. With that said, in my past relationships (2) I really didn't give it much thought about living together. Then my sister (the Nun) stepped in and said that my late wife needed an annulment or I would be kicked out of the church. I always thought annulments were for Catholic people. WRONG! As i grow older and wiser, marriage is the only way to go if we are please GOD and follow his teachings. Nothing else should matter. I know people are afraid of commitment, TOO bad. There would be less problems and abortions in this world if people would except a true marriage in the church. Then again in my previous post on different subjects, FEAR is the problem, fear is created by Satan for control purposes. Think about It!

Jul 17th 2013 new
Well you look pretty good to me so I am glad you put up a photo
Jul 17th 2013 new
Regarding the Sacramental vs the Civil... while the two are distinctly separate in many ways, they are also integrated for Believers. The Bible, Old and New Testaments, include the admonition to respect your Civil Laws because they serve peace and order, and therefore Peace and Community.

Quentin, I guess I'm not clear on intentions here. I think I could conceive an honorable situation wherein two are truly comited to a chaste and celibate friendship to share a home for the 'financial efficiencies' just as any two friends might, but that must include separate and respectful personal spaces (bed and bath rooms). If the intention is to share a bed, etc.; I have to concur with the other respondents. You may have all the best convictions, but you're still human, and those times between sleep and waking can be treacherous.

I add my applause for your courage in asking the community, and with them, prayerfully wish you the best. Let Our Dear Savior be your Guide. Praying

Jul 17th 2013 new
(quote) Maryjane-408997 said: Carol, Congratulations! Did you meet your intended on this site? You bring up some valid points that individuals need to consider.
Thank you, Maryjane. Yes, we met on CM last fall. Fortunately, we live only about 15 minutes away from each other, so getting to know each other on a one-to-one basis was fairly easy.
I believe that there are some others who have posted in this thread with very good points as well. What is our ultimate goal & how do we get there? Through obedience!
Jul 17th 2013 new
(quote) David-870960 said: I think I could conceive an honorable situation wherein two are truly comited to a chaste and celibate friendship to share a home for the 'financial efficiencies' just as any two friends might, but that must include separate and respectful personal spaces (bed and bath rooms). If the intention is to share a bed, etc.; I have to concur with the other respondents. You may have all the best convictions, but you're still human, and those times between sleep and waking can be treacherous.

Regardless of how honorable the intentions are, there are at least two major problems with this situation: the near occasion of sin, which you alluded to in the last sentence, and the potential for scandal.

Posts 41 - 50 of 57