Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

Discussion related to living as a Catholic in the single state of life. As long as a topic is being discussed from the perspective of a single Catholic then it will be on-topic.

Tobias and Sarah's story is from the Book of Tobit, and his journey is guided by Saint Raphael.
Learn More: Tobias & Sarah as led by Saint Raphael

Jul 17 new
(quote) Quentin-43809 said: Two friends of mine were married by a catholic priest missionary from New York in Peru 20 yeas ago and they have never found any reason to have it legalized here in the states although both are american citizens. the only reason to have it legalized is for the government to tax you and your estate when you pass on. I don;'t think it is any of the governments business.
If the marriage was legal in Peru, there is no reason to have it legalized in the united States, as the Peruvian marriage would be accepted here.

As for not being any of the government's business: "Render therefore to Caesar the things that are Caesar' s; and to God, the things that are God' s." (Matt. 22:21)
Jul 17 new
(quote) Jerry-74383 said: Regardless of how honorable the intentions are, there are at least two major problems with this situation: the near occasion of sin, which you alluded to in the last sentence, and the potential for scandal.

Yes, thank you, Jerry! I knew I was missing something, so I was trying to get close. Didn't think of scandal... that can be troublesome indeed.
Jul 17 new
(quote) Marge-938695 said: Sounds to me like living a lie.
Exactly. I have a close friend who was suckered into this years ago. She protested at points but now has given in and is in a long term living together situation.This type of thing is probably pretty common for those who bent the rules somewhere along the way.
Jul 17 new
Agreed Loretta and Kayla!
Jul 17 new
Well I guess I am giving up on this topic but I am maintaining my beliefs in the option. If there are any ladies over 50 that believe as I do contact me through my profile and we can discuss it from there. Thanks to everyone for the debate.

Quentin
Jul 17 new
(quote) Quentin-43809 said: There are wills and trusts involved depending on which spouse has the most children etc. Of course there are all kinds of other things that come into play so I would like to ask CM members to bring up the complexities of commitment in the later years of ones life.

My understanding of your situation basically boils down to the following....

Is it OK to potentially put your soul and the souls of your relatives (who may look to you as a role model) at eternal risk so that you don't have to put your earthly finances at any risk? scratchchin scratchchin scratchchin It seems that the priorities are mixed up. It seems to me better to sort out the legalities of the earthly finances (with a good lawyer) rather than risk potential eternal consequences.

Ed
Jul 17 new
Thanks Ed, I appreciate the information and I might just do what you suggest. I hate to pay anymore taxes than I have to so I will see a lawyer. After getting screwed in my divorce I am very cautious but would like to find a real catholic woman who is totally trustworthy.

Quentin
Posts 51 - 57 of 57