Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is dedicated to those who are facing the challenge of raising children without the support of a spouse. This is a place to share ideas and lend mutual support.

Saint Rita is known to be a patroness for abused wives and mourning women.
Learn More: Saint Rita

Would you do it all over again be a single parent.? I most definitely would because my kids,are a gift from God and because of them I've grown into the person I am today. I would change one thing I would have left my ex husband sooner.
Jul 19th 2013 new
I took early retirement because my husband was dying. If there had only been the two of us, I could have done just about anything, career-wise, after he died. But there were five children, ages 13 and down, and no one but me.

The only good thing about raising them alone was that I had the money to do it.

But I have not found kids to be any kind of a satisfactory substitute for the companionship of another adult.... Of course, maybe that's just my kids! embarassed
Jul 19th 2013 new
Given the same circumstances, of course I'd do it all again.
Jul 19th 2013 new
I agree with Jack. To be honest, though, it's not something I would have, or could have conceived of years ago.

We were married in our very early twenties, and when the priest asked me about having children, I wasn't prepared to answer. However, he was patient with me when I said I was open to the idea, and my wife really wanted kids. Over the years we had three, through birth or adoption, and I know now this is what the Lord wants me to do -- even if the last five years has been by myself -- and I accept it, praying every day that my youngest girl and I will be OK. We've made progress; she was Confirmed in April and starts high school in a little more than a month (scary thought, although not as scary as the first night we brought our oldest home from the hospital).
Jul 19th 2013 new
fluffy angel Praying I in a million years never thought I would be doing this alone. I think it isn't a matter of choice sometimes but a matter of circumstance. I love my children with all my heart though and definitely would be lonely without them!
Jul 19th 2013 new
(quote) Cathy-564420 said: I in a million years never thought I would be doing this alone. I think it isn't a matter of choice sometimes but a matter of circumstance. I love my children with all my heart though and definitely would be lonely without them!
You are right. Sometimes circumstances thrust a parent into that role.

But it also appears that some people walk away from the opportunity to raise their kids.
Some may do so for sound reasons and give their child up for adoption.
Others may do so for unsound reasons, or out of lack of knowledge.
(I'm not referring to those who can't participate ... for any number of reasons.)

I agree with you on both parts. It's very hard work, but at least now, he is not working against me. I can't control what he does with the boys in his home and on his time, but I no longer have to wonder why he isn't coming home and always crabby when he was home.
Jul 20th 2013 new
Yes
Jul 20th 2013 new
Absolutely! My kids were 4 & 6, when we had to leave California and return o Michigan. I went to Nursing School while my kids were very young. We had a good life. Not always easy, not always fun, but good nonetheless ! We are very close! My kids came to appreciate what I did when they were younger. Now in their mid-thirties, they see what is really important and have used so many if the things of their past as benchmarks for their own progress into mature parenthood. I have no regrets!
Jul 22nd 2013 new
I am so grateful that God blessed me with my children! I never expected to be a single parent, but I know I am doing thd best job I can...And the kids are thriving.They are fun and challenging every day! I do pray for a spouse, because even amongst the joy I feel when I'm with my kids, I miss that grown up relationship.
Posts 1 - 10 of 19