Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for the discussion of current events,cultural issues and politics especially in relation to Catholic values.

Saint Thomas More was martyred during the Protestant Reformation for standing firm in the Faith and not recognizing the King of England as the Supreme Head of the Church.
Learn More:Saint Thomas More

The City of Detroit has filed for bankrupcy and thus made it the largest US City
ever to go bankrupt. The filing begins a 30 to 90 day period in which it will
be determined if Detroit is elegible to file for Chapter 9 bankruptcy protection.
Some states require specific statues before cities can go into bankruptcy.

Its long-term debt is estimated to be as high as $20 billion. The city is faced
with the issue of how it will manage to pay its first responders. The city's
pensions are also to be reviewed. And, of course, it will have to be decided
how the city's creditors will be paid.

Detroit's economic problems are attrributed to its past and present leaders.

Is anyone familiar with Detroit? Did it seem like a city on its way to financial
destruction?

Jul 18th 2013 new
I was born and raised in Detroit, up through the end of high school. My mom still lives in the city.

I don't have an in-depth knowledge of the problems that led to bankruptcy, but I knew enough for this to not be much of a surprise.
Jul 18th 2013 new
(quote) Edward-4511 said: I was born and raised in Detroit, up through the end of high school. My mom still lives in the city.

I don't have an in-depth knowledge of the problems that led to bankruptcy, but I knew enough for this to not be much of a surprise.
Well, Edward, bankruptcy usually means you spend more than you have.

So, Detroit must be following the path of the leaders of our country and
borrowing at an alarming rate. For some reason, they must have been
cut off from borrowing anymore.
Jul 18th 2013 new
(quote) Marianne-100218 said: The City of Detroit has filed for bankrupcy and thus made it the largest US City
ever to go bankrupt. The filing begins a 30 to 90 day period in which it will
be determined if Detroit is elegible to file for Chapter 9 bankruptcy protection.
Some states require specific statues before cities can go into bankruptcy.

Its long-term debt is estimated to be as high as $20 billion. The city is faced
with the issue of how it will manage to pay its first responders. The city's
pensions are also to be reviewed. And, of course, it will have to be decided
how the city's creditors will be paid.

Detroit's economic problems are attrributed to its past and present leaders.

Is anyone familiar with Detroit? Did it seem like a city on its way to financial
destruction?

I'm sure they'll be cheering in the streets in Dearborn this weekend, and the lamestream media will totally ignore it.
Jul 18th 2013 new
(quote) Jim-624621 said: I'm sure they'll be cheering in the streets in Dearborn this weekend, and the lamestream media will totally ignore it.
I don't understand why they will be cheering in Dearborn this weekend?

Can you explain.
Jul 18th 2013 new
I live 45 minutes outside of Detroit and visit often. I went to college downtown for a time and have a great love for the city. Unfortunately Detroit has been plagued with corruption and one bad leader after another. The past mayor is a criminal and the city just can't seem to turn a corner. The city coucil is extremely divided and the internal fighting is ridiculous. It's unfortunate because so many good things are happening in the city. There are groups of loyal good individuals who are extremely dedicated to the city and work hard to bring about a 'renaissance'. I personally see this especially in the area of arts and culture, that being my focus. There has arisen many grassroots movements fueled by a desire for positive change but they need support. The city and its' members could use prayers!
Jul 18th 2013 new
Don't keep your criminal element under control, you lose your middle-class and your businesses. Lose your middle class and businesses, lose your tax base and thus your ability to do anything about the aforementioned root cause.
So on and so forth. You get stuck in a downward spiral you can't get out of. Kansas City seems to be headed in that direction. Crumbling infrastructure, gangs running wild, high taxes, businesses moving across the border. Imagine what will happen when the hipsters get bored and finally move on from the inner city.
Jul 18th 2013 new
(quote) Marianne-100218 said: I don't understand why they will be cheering in Dearborn this weekend?

Can you explain.
Dearborn is a predominately Muslim area just outside of Detroit. They will see this as an opportunity to take over a major US city, and the federal government (under Obama) will do everything it can to assist them, at the expense of those who have been stifled by federal regulations to this point.
Jul 19th 2013 new
(quote) Anna-865389 said: I live 45 minutes outside of Detroit and visit often. I went to college downtown for a time and have a great love for the city. Unfortunately Detroit has been plagued with corruption and one bad leader after another. The past mayor is a criminal and the city just can't seem to turn a corner. The city coucil is extremely divided and the internal fighting is ridiculous. It's unfortunate because so many good things are happening in the city. There are groups of loyal good individuals who are extremely dedicated to the city and work hard to bring about a 'renaissance'. I personally see this especially in the area of arts and culture, that being my focus. There has arisen many grassroots movements fueled by a desire for positive change but they need support. The city and its' members could use prayers!
Anna:

What issues are the City Council divided on?

Someone else also said that there is a criminal element in the City.
Jul 19th 2013 new
(quote) Chris-906154 said: Don't keep your criminal element under control, you lose your middle-class and your businesses. Lose your middle class and businesses, lose your tax base and thus your ability to do anything about the aforementioned root cause.
So on and so forth. You get stuck in a downward spiral you can't get out of. Kansas City seems to be headed in that direction. Crumbling infrastructure, gangs running wild, high taxes, businesses moving across the border. Imagine what will happen when the hipsters get bored and finally move on from the inner city.
Chris:

Are there a lot of drug wars going on there also with the street gangs?

Anna said that the politicians are also criminal.

Posts 1 - 10 of 125