Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for general discussion that doesn't specifically fit into one of the other CatholicMatch rooms. Topics should not be overly serious as this is to be more of a "cafe setting."

Saint Peter's Square was created so that more people could be in the presence of the Pope and was named after Saint Peter, one of Jesus's apostles.
Learn More: Saint Peter

Cups Printing..

Jul 19th 2013 new
I hope its ok to ask here. I have ubuntu 12.04 installed on my desktop no windows at all which the hp psc 1500 is connected by usb I can print there. My son's laptop just installed has ubuntu 12.04 no windows here either with cups installed I cannot get it to print. I have worked on it for a while. Will welcome any ideas...
Thank you... biggrin
Jul 21st 2013 new
(quote) Monique-961646 said: I hope its ok to ask here. I have ubuntu 12.04 installed on my desktop no windows at all which the hp psc 1500 is connected by usb I can print there. My son's laptop just installed has ubuntu 12.04 no windows here either with cups installed I cannot get it to print. I have worked on it for a while. Will welcome any ideas...
Thank you...
You will probably ignore this, but life is so much easier with a Mac.
Jul 21st 2013 new
Gosh, I love a tech-savvy woman! And using Linux, too!

Girl, you should put that in your profile as a LOT of men find brainy women sexy. flower
Jul 22nd 2013 new
Monique,
Not sure if you are trying to share the printer over a network, or just moving the usb cable between the two computers as needed.
Regardless, the printer model you specify, is that specifically a model 1500, or is it a 1500 series?
The reason I ask is that hp has an installer for ubuntu 12.04 for psc 1503, 1504, 1507, and 1508 models.
Jul 22nd 2013 new
Information for the open source hp linux driver for the psc 1500 series can be found at the follwing URL:

hplipopensource.com

The actual driver download can be found at:

sourceforge.net

Instructions on a manual install can be found @:

hplipopensource.com

Hopefully the above links will help.
Jul 22nd 2013 new
Further research indicates the neccesary drivers are included with the ubuntu distribution:

help.ubuntu.com

The above link indicates a
sudo hp-setup

Should walk you through the setup.
Jul 23rd 2013 new
I only have one computer with a linux partition here. So, I have no way to duplicate your setup. But, Just to the cover the basics. Printer is connected to Mom's pc, need to print from Son's PC. If I understand correctly, CUPS needs to be installed on Mom's computer and sharing also needs to be enabled in the print server on Mom's computer. Mom's computer needs to be turned on and connected to the network. Then you have to find the and, I think, enable/install the network printer from Son's computer.

Found this link from Ubuntu support that may help:
help.ubuntu.com

I apologize if you're already past all this.

Jul 23rd 2013 new
This is honestly the last question I would've expected to see here :-P I use both Linux and FreeBSD on a regular basis. It's cool to run into others who are also into open source, especially when it's someone as unexpected as an online dating website haha! :-D

As others have stated, if you're using Ubuntu and an open source backend driver exists for your printer, it's probably already installed. I always use the web-based interface (localhost:631) to configure it, but I believe Ubuntu also comes with a graphical configuration wizard that you'd probably favor over that.
Jul 23rd 2013 new
Sorry, I'm an idiot :) I missed the second part of your question and assumed you were having trouble just getting the printer to work. You can configure it to share. Browse to localhost:631. Click on the administration tab, check "Share printers connected to this system" and restart the CUPS daemon. If that doesn't do it, as a last resort, you can always edit the cups config directly in a text editor.
Jul 23rd 2013 new
I don't know why it's not working. I got it to work when the laptop had xp . I have used http in cups of desktop still nothing.
Any ideas...
Great appreciated...
Posts 1 - 10 of 10