Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for discussion related to learning about the faith (Catechetics), defense of the Faith (Apologetics), the Liturgy and canon law, motivated by a desire to grow closer to Christ or to bring someone else closer.

Saint Augustine of Hippo is considered on of the greatest Christian thinkers of all time and the Doctor of the Church.
Learn More: Saint Augustine

Jul 20 new
(quote) Maria-963080 said: Kenny: When I was in grade school, an old nun said to us that God is an all forgiving father and that the only way you would go to hell is if you committed murder. Otherwise, since we are all sinners we may have to go to Purgatory for a short time to make up for our sins. Just keep going to the sacraments and doing good for others and you will be alright
How does what the nun told you correlate with Scripture and the teaching of the Church?

Even the murderer can be forgiven -- but first he must repent and ask for that forgiveness through the sacrament of confession. But remember that for that confession to be valid there are several requirements that must be met:

(a) All mortal sins that we remember must be confessed,

(b) There must be true contrition (sorrow) for our sins, and

(c) There must be a firm purpose of amendment (a resolve not to commit the sins again).

One tremendous problem today is that so many people refuse to accept that certain acts are grave sins. If we don't believe something is a sins, how likely is it we will confess it, much less have contrition for it?

Further, how many people treat confession like a car wash: actually planning to sin intending to go to confession before Mass so they can receive Holy Communion. Contrition? Firm purpose of amendment? What is present is a presumption of mercy -- in and of itself a very grave sin.

As for a short time in Purgatory: recall the Blessed Mother revealing to one of the children at Fatima that one of their young friends would be in Purgatory until the end of the world? If a child would incur this much temporal punishment, especially in 1917, can we reasonably expect most adults will incur far less?

Jul 20 new
(quote) Tom-54311 said: Just for you, Kenny. The rest of us know a secret shortcut to heaven, but God made us promise not to tell you.
laughing
Jul 20 new
God's voice
stills you
leads you
reassures you
enlightens you
encourages you
comforts you
calms you

Satan's voice
rushes you
pushes you
frightens you
confuses you
discourages you
worries you
obsesses you
condemns you
Jul 20 new
God wants nothing more than our salvation. God created us for heaven and will do everything necessary to get us there is we cooperate earnestly with him.
Jul 20 new
Love covers a multitude of sins. Love much Kenny. Love the guy who cuts you off in traffic, love the girl who treats you like you are unworthy, love the kid at the check out who shorted you and then got angry when you caught him, love the ones who judge and condemn you, love those who are usually unlovable. Jesus's greatest commandment, love God, love your neighbor.

It's all about love Kenny and we cannot love unless we spend quiet time with the greatest Lover we will ever have. 20 - 30 minutes daily in quite contemplation and conversation with the Master. It will change you life.

Blessings
Jul 20 new
(quote) Rachel-731570 said: God's voice
stills you
leads you
reassures you
enlightens you
encourages you
comforts you
calms you

Satan'a voice
rushes you
pushes you
frightens you
confuses you
discourages you
worries you
obsesses you
condemns you
I don't know why we can't copy things anymore. irked Could you send me this in a e-mail, Rachel? I am too lazy to type it out. Tom
Jul 20 new
Sure Tom -- message me your email!
Jul 20 new
(quote) David-364112 said: God wants nothing more than our salvation. God created us for heaven and will do everything necessary to get us there is we cooperate earnestly with him.
The key phrase is if we cooperate earnestly. Many, it seems, have a very unrealistic expectation of that this means.

Yes, God would like for everyone to be saved. Yet He has told us that even His will does not trump our free will, and that He knows many will not cooperate with Him.

"Strive to enter by the narrow gate; for many, I say to you, shall seek to enter, and shall not be able." (Luke 13:24)

"Enter ye in at the narrow gate: for wide is the gate, and broad is the way that leadeth to destruction, and many there are who go in thereat. How narrow is the gate, and strait is the way that leadeth to life: and few there are that find it!" (Matt. 7:13-14)

"Then Jesus said to his disciples: Amen, I say to you, that a rich man shall hardly enter into the kingdom of heaven. And again I say to you: It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of heaven." (Matt. 19:24-25)

Jul 20 new
(quote) Joanna-615441 said: Jesus's greatest commandment, love God, love your neighbor.

And if we truly love God, we will do as He asks: pick up our cross and follow him. It is empty for us to do good for our neighbor if we do not first love -- and follow -- God.

Jul 20 new
(quote) Maria-963080 said: Kenny: When I was in grade school, an old nun said to us that God is an all forgiving father and that the only way you would go to hell is if you committed murder. Otherwise, since we are all sinners we may have to go to Purgatory for a short time to make up for our sins. Just keep going to the sacraments and doing good for others and you will be alright
dumb question but I want to know where the protestants go to to their waiting room in order to make up their sins. I know the Baptists and Methodist don't believe in this. not sure about the other religions out there. Since the catholics go to Purgatory, are they grouped there all together in a holding cell, if you will. When God gives permission for you to go to Heaven, your loved ones will know when they see you in Heaven too, right?

or, is this way, if you commit a sin that you aren't forgiven for, you have to go to purgatory to pay the price, then go to Heaven when God says it's okay now and you are forgiven. Wow, I'm thinking all catholics hope they never commit even one tiny sin, I know I wouldn't want to.
Posts 11 - 20 of 159