Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for discussion related to learning about the faith (Catechetics), defense of the Faith (Apologetics), the Liturgy and canon law, motivated by a desire to grow closer to Christ or to bring someone else closer.

Saint Augustine of Hippo is considered on of the greatest Christian thinkers of all time and the Doctor of the Church.
Learn More: Saint Augustine

Aug 8th 2013 new
(quote) Jerry-74383 said: It depends on how you interpret "want to lead the relationship."

If Matt meant "want the relationship on their terms instead of God's", with the implication that there is a significant difference between their terms and God's, then very clearly this will lead to damnation if not repented before death

Jerry- that's exactly what I meant.

Aug 8th 2013 new
(quote) Jerry-74383 said: Dissolution of a marriage and a declaration of nullity are two entirely different things: the former breaks the marriage bond so the party can re-marry; the latter is a declaration there never was a bond.

The Pauline Privilege is used to dissolve a valid and consummated marriage between two unbaptized persons, one of whom is later baptized, "in favor of the faith" of the baptized party. There are a number of restrictions on its applicability.

You are correct that the Pauline Privilege only applies when two unbaptized persons marry and one later becomes baptized.

But, using the same reasoning that St. Paul uses, the Church also extends the Petrine Privilege which applies where, at the time of the marriage one of the marriage partners was a Baptized person. In other words, the Petrine Privilege is an approved extension of the Pauline Privilege,"in favor of the faith" of the baptized party .

As with the Pauline Privilege there are a number of restrictions on its applicability.

Aug 8th 2013 new
(quote) Lynea-297530 said: That "depressing threads" comment was not necessary, to put is nicely.

We all sometimes need a little encouragement in the spiritual life and some God and faith-focused social interaction.

If you're often falling into the same sin, whether it is mortal or venial, then try to hack at the root. What is the root vice behind it and start doing the opposite (practicing the opposing virtue). If that isn't 'sticking', then do an extra devotion to the Blessed Mother asking for her prayers to guide you and to have the good angels help you to stay focused. Just work on your major fault and don't give into the temptation to become scrupulous and overwhelmed.
Scrupulosity it a sign of pride, because it suggests that one's sins are so great that even the mercy of God can't help him or her. But from the sounds of what you've written, you say you're scrupulous, but I think you meant it in the manner of speaking --- that you're just having an overall concern, like a temptation towards some sort of spiritual and/or emotional depression. This might be a very common spiritual oppression, however, it can lead one to have some dangerous spiritual concerns and be, in a moment, a terrible temptation to despair, even if the person normally doesn't even fall into this. If this is what is happening, then I think you came to the right place especially, since we ought to be offering to pray for you.

I will pray for you, and for anyone else here going through something similar. Please also pray for me.

If you like, I can get some more resources to you privately, but I'm not allowed to publish them here. And they are strictly in keeping with the teachings of Holy Mother Church.

You might want to try a novena to ask the Blessed Mother to help you both in conquering your major fault and whatever is causing this feeling of the verge of a kind of spiritual despair.
Lynea,

Your comments always reflect your amazing intellect and insight along with your deep understanding of/and devotion to your faith.
You really have a wonderful gift and I enjoy reading your posts and comments.
:)
Aug 8th 2013 new
(quote) Kenny-949632 said:

Paul,

Why would anyone want to choose evil if they knew that Hell is in their future...Isn't that like suicide..?
Kenny,

Are you serious with your question here?
People willingly turning their back to God
is so commonplace in our world today.
It's man's will over God's will.
Man rationalizes his own SIN !!!
(sexual immorality, abortion...)

Aug 8th 2013 new
(quote) Julie-362086 said: Kenny,

Are you serious with your question here?
People willingly turning their back to God
is so commonplace in our world today.
It's man's will over God's will.
Man rationalizes his own SIN !!!
(sexual immorality, abortion...)

...and yes, it IS suicide. A death of the soul.
Aug 8th 2013 new
(quote) Julie-362086 said: ...and yes, it IS suicide. A death of the soul.
How right you are, to bad their isn't more people in the world that think that, We would have less violence and evil intentions if more people show respect the God.
Aug 8th 2013 new
(quote) Lynea-297530 said: No, you are wrong.

Many of us really want family, be it the holy will of God. Some of us would prefer simply not to live out their remaining years alone, be it the holy will of God.

St. Paul wasn't saying that the only reason to marry was to prevent a worse sin than to suffer lust. NO NO NO. He was saying simply that if that was your circumstance, it's better to marry than to go from one 'relationship' to another fornicating, breaking the 6th and 9th Commandments, or just suffering the sins of lust interiorally.

LUST should never be considered a primary reason for marriage. The Church says that the primary reason for marriage is the procreation and education of children. The SECONDARY purpose is the mutual comfort and concern for the welfare of the spouse.

You go girl !!!
You know the teachings well !
:)

Aug 8th 2013 new
(quote) Kevin-975826 said: GOD doesn't choose to remove the veil, everybody has been given irrevocable free will, and it is up to humanity to remove their own veil and choose their path.
Yes, WE ultimately make the change
but the desire FOR that change is planted there in our soul by God's mercy
and given to us by His grace.
So you are receiving special graces to be able to make the necessary changes.
He already knows our hearts desires.

Aug 8th 2013 new
(quote) Kevin-975826 said: GOD doesn't choose to remove the veil, everybody has been given irrevocable free will, and it is up to humanity to remove their own veil and choose their path.
Yes, WE ultimately make the change
but the desire FOR that change is planted there in our soul by God's mercy
and given to us by His grace.
So you are receiving special graces to be able to make the necessary changes.
He already knows our hearts desires.

Aug 8th 2013 new
(quote) Ronald-937125 said: Anyway, I think that 2 people who are in love and get married (and stay married) aren't going to Hell (and that's the topic here)!

It's not clear what you are saying here: They aren't going to Hell because they got married? Or because they are married they aren't going to Hell (regardless of other sins)?

Refering back to a prior response, you said:

> I think that we all must be aflame with some passion and lust for the opposite sex

Lust and sexual attraction are two very different things. Lust is always disordered and a grave sin, even when the object is one's spouse.

Posts 121 - 130 of 159