Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for discussion related to learning about the faith (Catechetics), defense of the Faith (Apologetics), the Liturgy and canon law, motivated by a desire to grow closer to Christ or to bring someone else closer.

Saint Augustine of Hippo is considered on of the greatest Christian thinkers of all time and the Doctor of the Church.
Learn More: Saint Augustine

Aug 8th 2013 new
Read Romans 5 through 8.
4 short chapters from St. Paul which will restore your faith in Christ and how much God loves you.

Within these four chapters, you will find these nuggets of truth:
Romans 5:1
Therefore, since we have been made right in Gods sight by faith, we have peace with God because of what Jesus Christ our Lord has done for us.

Romans 5:8
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us.

Romans 8:1
So now there is no condemnation for those who belong to Christ Jesus.

Romans 8:38-39
And I am convinced that nothing can ever separate us from Gods love. Neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither our fears for today nor our worries about tomorrownot even the powers of hell can separate us from Gods love. No power in the sky above or in the earth belowindeed, nothing in all creation will ever be able to separate us from the love of God that is revealed in Christ Jesus our Lord.

And that is why we see the crucifix whenever we enter our church.
While we were still sinners, Christ died for us.
Aug 10th 2013 new
(quote) Jerry-74383 said: It depends on how you interpret "want to lead the relationship."

If Matt meant "want the relationship on their terms instead of God's", with the implication that there is a significant difference between their terms and God's, then very clearly this will lead to damnation if not repented before death

Saying we love God is not enough. "If any one love me, he will keep my word, and my Father will love him, and we will come to him, and will make our abode with him. He that loveth me not, keepeth not my words." (John 14:23-24)

"And a certain man said to him: Lord, are they few that are saved? But he said to them: Strive to enter by the narrow gate; for many, I say to you, shall seek to enter, and shall not be able. But when the master of the house shall be gone in, and shall shut the door, you shall begin to stand without, and knock at the door, saying: Lord, open to us. And he answering, shall say to you: I know you not, whence you are.(Luke 13:23-25)

From the Haydock Commentary for verse 24:

Ver. 24. Shall seek, &c. Shall desire to be saved; but for want of taking sufficient pains, and not being thoroughly in earnest, shall not attain to it. (Challoner)

Our Lord answers here in the affirmative: viz. that the number of those who are saved, is very small, for a few only can enter by the narrow gate. Therefore does he say, according to St. Matthew, (Chap. vii.) Narrow is the way that leadeth to life, and few there are that enter therein. This does not contradict what is said in the 8th chapter of St. Matthew: That many shall come from the east, and sit down in the kingdom of God; for many indeed shall join the blessed company of the angels, but when considered with the number of the slain, they will appear but few. (St. Augustine, serm. xxxii. de Verb. Dei.)

saying we love God is not enough--that is true.
What I was implying/pointing out(I thought) was that if a person really wants to be with God and still likes to do many things his own way(like most of we sinners do to SOME extent) then the yearning for God and Gods mercy will prevail over our sinful/self-directed ways.Sometimes this takes significant humbling or just merciful lessons regarding our self centered actions.
However I disagree that most go to hell.Jesus never states that explicitly and that is not for us to know. And that cant be derived from scripture quotes--which are for a specific group of individuals at a certain time and place in history.

"And a certain man said to him: Lord, are they few that are saved? But he said to them: Strive to enter by the narrow gate; for many, I say to you, shall seek to enter, and shall not be able. But when the master of the house shall be gone in, and shall shut the door, you shall begin to stand without, and knock at the door, saying: Lord, open to us. And he answering, shall say to you: I know you not, whence you are.(Luke 13:23-25)---Jesus does not state that few are saved.'A certain man' asks that question----but Jesus replies that he should strive to enter by the narrow gate.

Aug 16th 2013 new
(quote) Jerry-74383 said: It's not clear what you are saying here: They aren't going to Hell because they got married? Or because they are married they aren't going to Hell (regardless of other sins)?

Refering back to a prior response, you said:

> I think that we all must be aflame with some passion and lust for the opposite sex

Lust and sexual attraction are two very different things. Lust is always disordered and a grave sin, even when the object is one's spouse.

I'm sorry, yes, they could still go to hell if they got married.

I also agree that lust and sexual attraction aren't the same and the primary reason to get married is for procreation and the education of children as someone else noted. This would be a good reason for women to consider staying single the rest of their lives if they are over 45, and is in line with what St. Paul is saying.

It can be implied that a homosexual having the lustful thoughts of sex is a grave sin even though they might be living a chaste lifestyle. The church condemns the act rather than a person being a homosexual- who is I guess is a person with impure thoughts of people with the same sex. I'm not sure that I agree with the church since anyone with thoughts of lust is sinning as Jesus said, even though it may not be a grave sin.

I think that teenagers have more lustful thoughts of the opposite sex than adults so it's not always easy to define what lustful thoughts are the most grave sins and who is going to hell for it.
Aug 20th 2013 new
This short video from Church Militant.tv may be enlightening for some:

youtu.be

Aug 20th 2013 new
(quote) Jerry-74383 said: This short video from Church Militant.tv may be enlightening for some:

http://youtu.be/SZ5teKPL65w?t=30s

Can't get much more clear than what the video states? Short video. Big Answers! Thanks for sharing !
Aug 20th 2013 new
(quote) Jerry-74383 said: This short video from Church Militant.tv may be enlightening for some:

http://youtu.be/SZ5teKPL65w?t=30s

I love listening to Michael Voris! He speaks the truth and never minces his words!
Thanks for sharing!
Aug 21st 2013 new
(quote) Julie-362086 said: I love listening to Michael Voris! He speaks the truth and never minces his words!
Thanks for sharing!
I just wish he'd do something about that awful toupee. embarassed
Aug 21st 2013 new
(quote) David-364112 said: I just wish he'd do something about that awful toupee.
David you are too funny!
Is it a toupee...really? I thought he was just blessed with a thick head of hair! Well, it looks better than it used to! haha
Aug 21st 2013 new
(quote) David-364112 said:
God did not create mankind in order to damn the greater number of them. His mercy is beyond our comprehension. Never despair of your salvation. The Divine mercy prayer is simple: "Jesus I trust in you". Say that over and over all day. God is a loving father. if you had children you'll remember how indulgently you looked upon them when they were trying to be good even when they couldn't quite swing it all the way. God sees into our hearts. When he perceives a willingness to know love and serve him, he helps that person accomplish this. We can't do anything on our own, but if we ask God for help and work to accept his assistance, he will bring us the rest of the way.

Consider these two quotes from St. Therese of Lisieux:

"I assure you that the good Lord is much kinder than you can imagine. He is satisfied with a glance, with a sigh of love... In regard to myself, I find it easy to practice perfection, because I have learned that the way to Jesus is through His Heart. Consider a small child who has vexed his mother by a display of bad temper or disobedience. If the child hides in a corner through fear of punishment, he feels that his mother will not forgive him. But if instead, he extends his little arms towards her and with a smile cries out: Love, kiss me, mamma, I will not do it again, will not his mother press the little one to her heart with tenderness, and forget what the child has done? And yet, though she knows very well that her dear little one will misbehave again at the first opportunity, that means nothing if the child appeals to her heart. He will never be punished..."

and

"You make me think of a little child that is learning to stand but does not yet know how to walk. In his desire to reach the top of the stairs to find his mother, he lifts his little foot to climb the first stair. It is all in vain, and at each renewed effort he falls. Well, be this little child: through the practice of all the virtues, always lift your little foot to mount the staircase of holiness, but do not imagine that you will be able to go up even the first step! No, but the good God does not demand more from you than good will. From the top of the stairs, He looks at you with love. Soon, won over by your useless efforts, He will come down Himself and, taking you in His arms, He will carry you up... But if you stop lifting your little foot, He will leave you a long time on the ground."

------

These are beautiful. We should never despair of our salvation. God loves us and created us for heaven. He just wants us to be faithful. But neither should we ever prsume upon God's mercy. We must earnestly want to know love and serve him and ask for his help. With this interior disposition, a little effort, and a lot of trust in God's goodness, we will spend eternity with him.
but a consoling reply........thank you
Aug 21st 2013 new
(quote) Julie-362086 said: David you are too funny!
Is it a toupee...really? I thought he was just blessed with a thick head of hair! Well, it looks better than it used to! haha
That's even WORSE. If it's not a toupee, then the state should yank the barber's license of the guy who cuts his hair.

Voris is a punk. His message is OK but the delivery is terrible.
Posts 131 - 140 of 159