Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for discussion related to learning about the faith (Catechetics), defense of the Faith (Apologetics), the Liturgy and canon law, motivated by a desire to grow closer to Christ or to bring someone else closer.

Saint Augustine of Hippo is considered on of the greatest Christian thinkers of all time and the Doctor of the Church.
Learn More: Saint Augustine

Jul 20th 2013 new
Hi Kenny....

A very wise spiritual director once told me that God never cares how many times we fall... only that we turn to His tender mercy in the sacrament, dust ourselves off, & GET BACK UP!

We all fall... sometimes in bigtime. I've found that a big fall sometimes helps me grow spiritually as I realize how dependent I am on the lover of my soul. He helps me see that without Him... I am nothing. But with Him... There is not a thing to fear.

Mistakes also help tremendously in the humility department... *cringe*... When it finally sinks in that nothing I do is going to change how ridiculously in love God is with me... there's a freedom to simply be who I am that comes in acceptance of that knowledge. Hard to describe, but I know I've been changed for the better. A whole lot happier & more at peace too...

I have a close friend who struggles with scruples, & have wrestled with a tinge of it myself. I also know a very good priest who has fought that battle. It's not an easy thing to deal with. A lot of quiet introspection before Our Lord is paramount, plus a good spiritual director or qualified priest can help identify faulty thinking patterns. Like others have alluded to, the key seems to be in training the intellect to accept the truth of God's love. There is never anything to fear... He loves us so.... rose

His Peace Kenny... theheart
Jul 20th 2013 new
(quote) Jerry-74383 said: And if we truly love God, we will do as He asks: pick up our cross and follow him. It is empty for us to do good for our neighbor if we do not first love -- and follow -- God.

Expounding on my point was unnecessary. One can always add and add and add and add. My point was simple, it's all about love.
Jul 20th 2013 new
(quote) Joanna-615441 said: Expounding on my point was unnecessary. One can always add and add and add and add. My point was simple, it's all about love.

I agree with you Joanna....Please forgive those that feel the need to expound themselves continuously....Let's pray for them.....You did state it quite simple and lovingly..Thank you....
Jul 20th 2013 new
I love this thread.

thanks to all who gave great explanations where they were needed.

May God bless each of you on your journeys
Jul 21st 2013 new
(quote) Joanna-615441 said: Love covers a multitude of sins. Love much Kenny. Love the guy who cuts you off in traffic, love the girl who treats you like you are unworthy, love the kid at the check out who shorted you and then got angry when you caught him, love the ones who judge and condemn you, love those who are usually unlovable. Jesus's greatest commandment, love God, love your neighbor.

It's all about love Kenny and we cannot love unless we spend quiet time with the greatest Lover we will ever have. 20 - 30 minutes daily in quite contemplation and conversation with the Master. It will change you life.

Blessings
very nice thoughts Joanna. biggrin Praying
Jul 21st 2013 new
(quote) Connie-17641 said: dumb question but I want to know where the protestants go to to their waiting room in order to make up their sins. I know the Baptists and Methodist don't believe in this. not sure about the other religions out there. Since the catholics go to Purgatory, are they grouped there all together in a holding cell, if you will. When God gives permission for you to go to Heaven, your loved ones will know when they see you in Heaven too, right?

or, is this way, if you commit a sin that you aren't forgiven for, you have to go to purgatory to pay the price, then go to Heaven when God says it's okay now and you are forgiven. Wow, I'm thinking all catholics hope they never commit even one tiny sin, I know I wouldn't want to.
There is not a separation after death into Catholics here and Methodists over there and Baptists in a third area, etc!!
Just because each religion has it'sown understandings and beliefs does not mean that God has different rules or punishments for how well you upheld your own beliefs.
The reality is there is only God who has the truth and it's only His rules you need to obey or strive to obey.
We are Catholic because we believe the Catholic faith holds the truth, not just part of it.
You can understand our Faith by reading your Catechism -- how else can you know what you profess to believe by claiming to be a Catholic? And if you don't believe it, and reject what our Faith says, why profess to be a Catholic? I'm sure many of us had terrible, watered down, wishy-washy teaching in our Sunday School classes, but as adults it is our responsibility to learn it and understand it and embrace it.
I'm not trying to be all holier-than-thou or preachy -- it's just that being Catholic isn't simple or easy and takes understanding, conviction, strength and we can't just close our eyes, think good thoughts, and hope for the best. We are called to more than that.
Here is the section on Purgatory from the catechism.

HE FINAL PURIFICATION, OR PURGATORY

1030 All who die in God's grace and friendship, but still imperfectly purified, are indeed assured of their eternal salvation; but after death they undergo purification, so as to achieve the holiness necessary to enter the joy of heaven.

1031 The Church gives the name Purgatory to this final purification of the elect, which is entirely different from the punishment of the damned.606The Church formulated her doctrine of faith on Purgatory especially at the Councils of Florence and Trent. The tradition of the Church, by reference to certain texts of Scripture, speaks of a cleansing fire:607

As for certain lesser faults, we must believe that, before the Final Judgment, there is a purifying fire. He who is truth says that whoever utters blasphemy against the Holy Spirit will be pardoned neither in this age nor in the age to come. From this sentence we understand that certain offenses can be forgiven in this age, but certain others in the age to come.608

1032 This teaching is also based on the practice of prayer for the dead, already mentioned in Sacred Scripture: "Therefore [Judas Maccabeus] made atonement for the dead, that they might be delivered from their sin."609 From the beginning the Church has honored the memory of the dead and offered prayers in suffrage for them, above all the Eucharistic sacrifice, so that, thus purified, they may attain the beatific vision of God.610The Church also commends almsgiving, indulgences, and works of penance undertaken on behalf of the dead:

Let us help and commemorate them. If Job's sons were purified by their father's sacrifice, why would we doubt that our offerings for the dead bring them some consolation? Let us not hesitate to help those who have died and to offer our prayers for them.611
Jul 21st 2013 new
YES!! If you are a METS fan. METS!!!! Must End The Season!!!
Jul 21st 2013 new
(quote) Kenny-949632 said:

I thought that I was pretty comfortable spiritually until I joined CM.....I have read many forums and I feel that I'm just doomed to Hell.....
There seems to be so many rules that are possible to break and some people seem so fanatically condensending in the way they preach of fire and Hell ....

I'm pretty old and most of my life is behind me...I am scrupulous very often especially now being a widower and not having my wife to balance my scrupulous patterns...

I guess the narrow path means few go to Heaven,,and the wide path means Hell...

It can be pretty scarey....Very SCAREY.....I don't think that I'm good enough for God to let me into Heaven...I wouldn't let me into Heaven,,why would God...??

Is it meant to be so impossible ???
Kenny,

I've noticed that you have a knack for starting some pretty depressing threads.

Is everything all right?
Jul 21st 2013 new
That "depressing threads" comment was not necessary, to put is nicely.

We all sometimes need a little encouragement in the spiritual life and some God and faith-focused social interaction.

If you're often falling into the same sin, whether it is mortal or venial, then try to hack at the root. What is the root vice behind it and start doing the opposite (practicing the opposing virtue). If that isn't 'sticking', then do an extra devotion to the Blessed Mother asking for her prayers to guide you and to have the good angels help you to stay focused. Just work on your major fault and don't give into the temptation to become scrupulous and overwhelmed.
Scrupulosity it a sign of pride, because it suggests that one's sins are so great that even the mercy of God can't help him or her. But from the sounds of what you've written, you say you're scrupulous, but I think you meant it in the manner of speaking --- that you're just having an overall concern, like a temptation towards some sort of spiritual and/or emotional depression. This might be a very common spiritual oppression, however, it can lead one to have some dangerous spiritual concerns and be, in a moment, a terrible temptation to despair, even if the person normally doesn't even fall into this. If this is what is happening, then I think you came to the right place especially, since we ought to be offering to pray for you.

I will pray for you, and for anyone else here going through something similar. Please also pray for me.

If you like, I can get some more resources to you privately, but I'm not allowed to publish them here. And they are strictly in keeping with the teachings of Holy Mother Church.

You might want to try a novena to ask the Blessed Mother to help you both in conquering your major fault and whatever is causing this feeling of the verge of a kind of spiritual despair.
Jul 21st 2013 new
Whether or not you agree in the following, Satan creates doubt, anger, confusion. If one can remove the veil of deceit and or doubt ect. and consecrate on prayers and forgiveness you may find your life easier to manage.
Posts 21 - 30 of 159