Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for discussion related to learning about the faith (Catechetics), defense of the Faith (Apologetics), the Liturgy and canon law, motivated by a desire to grow closer to Christ or to bring someone else closer.

Saint Augustine of Hippo is considered on of the greatest Christian thinkers of all time and the Doctor of the Church.
Learn More: Saint Augustine

Jul 22nd 2013 new
(quote) Jim-397948 said: YES!! If you are a METS fan. METS!!!! Must End The Season!!!
Jimmy!......
Jul 22nd 2013 new
You are right saying God allows; but we still have freewill to make the right changes in our life. God will not force us to come to Him. We have to be willing to surrender our self to Him completely. God loves us unconditionally and the road to Heaven is narrow. I know everybody has different thoughts on this, but the truth is the truth.
Jul 22nd 2013 new
(quote) Elizabeth-726465 said: Hi there,
You might want to read St. Faustina's Diary "Divine Mercy in my Soul". This will open your heart and mind to His Mercy!!! NONE of us DESERVE heaven. It's only by His grace and mercy AND following the Commandments. Surely, all Catholics who truly love Jesus can try and do this. I am in doubt ALL the time. But I also know that scrupulosity can be the sin of pride. Too much focus on self and not enough on Our Lord. I know.. I was there and spoke to many priests and my Spiritual director about this. Do your best and let God do the rest.

Take care & God bless!

That wonderful Diary is also full of references to Jesus's desperate desire for souls and for our love. How strongly he desires to give us his mercy yet how few of us avail ourselves of this amazing gift.

theheart
Jul 22nd 2013 new

So is God all merciful and loving or is He a punishing God..?
Jul 22nd 2013 new
(quote) Lynea-297530 said: That "depressing threads" comment was not necessary, to put is nicely.

We all sometimes need a little encouragement in the spiritual life and some God and faith-focused social interaction.

If you're often falling into the same sin, whether it is mortal or venial, then try to hack at the root. What is the root vice behind it and start doing the opposite (practicing the opposing virtue). If that isn't 'sticking', then do an extra devotion to the Blessed Mother asking for her prayers to guide you and to have the good angels help you to stay focused. Just work on your major fault and don't give into the temptation to become scrupulous and overwhelmed.
Scrupulosity it a sign of pride, because it suggests that one's sins are so great that even the mercy of God can't help him or her. But from the sounds of what you've written, you say you're scrupulous, but I think you meant it in the manner of speaking --- that you're just having an overall concern, like a temptation towards some sort of spiritual and/or emotional depression. This might be a very common spiritual oppression, however, it can lead one to have some dangerous spiritual concerns and be, in a moment, a terrible temptation to despair, even if the person normally doesn't even fall into this. If this is what is happening, then I think you came to the right place especially, since we ought to be offering to pray for you.

I will pray for you, and for anyone else here going through something similar. Please also pray for me.

If you like, I can get some more resources to you privately, but I'm not allowed to publish them here. And they are strictly in keeping with the teachings of Holy Mother Church.

You might want to try a novena to ask the Blessed Mother to help you both in conquering your major fault and whatever is causing this feeling of the verge of a kind of spiritual despair.
Thanks for posting this Lynea. It's beautiful - and so true.

"Jesus will assist you and give you the grace to live a heavenly life and nothing whatever will be able to separate you from His love."

- St. Padre Pio

We can't do it ourselves, but if we earnestly seek his help and truly want to live his way, God will help us.

Jul 22nd 2013 new
(quote) Kenny-949632 said:

God is all merciful. He is not punishing.

A picture or a demonstration is worth thousands of words. I always had a problem with a God who'd send me to hell.

Several years ago, I saw a demonstration of the question you asked during a sermon. The priest said that God does not wish to throw anyone into hell but rather, those who end up there CHOOSE to go there.

He said rather than explain it, he'd demonstrate. He said: "Let me find someone who looks like God." He brought an elderly Italian woman in a veil into the main aisle and asked her to stand with her arms open as if welcoming an embrace. He pointed to her and said: "this is God." Then he raised his own hand and said "I'm a poor sinner like everyone else here." Then he turned his back to her, crossed his arms on his chest, and said: "this is hell."

After a moment he turned around and took her in his arms. She hugged him back. Over her shoulder and with a broad smile he said "THIS is heaven - the choice is always ours. God constantly invites us to accept his love. If we choose to accept his love and love him in return, we'll do his will. If we do this, we choose to spend eternity joined to him. But, if we refuse the love and grace he offers, we don't live his will for us, and choose to spend eternity shut off from him. Hell is the complete absence of God. All too many people choose this for themselves. It breaks God's heart, but he will not force them to accept his wonderful gift."

This was a life-changing revelation for me and helped me love God because I no longer feared or resented his wrath. I saw that he wants nothing more than our love and faithful adherence to his will.

'"Behold, I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears my voice and opens the door, (then) I will enter his house and dine with him, and he with me. I will give the victor the right to sit with me on my throne, as I myself first won the victory and sit with my Father on his throne."

- Revelation 3:20-21

theheart

Jul 22nd 2013 new

Paul,

Why would anyone want to choose evil if they knew that Hell is in their future...Isn't that like suicide..?
Yes it is!!
Jul 22nd 2013 new

God is all loving and merciful.

He does not so much as punish us as he does honor our choices.
Jul 25th 2013 new
(quote) David-364112 said:
God is all merciful. He is not punishing.

A picture or a demonstration is worth thousands of words. I always had a problem with a God who'd send me to hell.

Several years ago, I saw a demonstration of the question you asked during a sermon. The priest said that God does not wish to throw anyone into hell but rather, those who end up there CHOOSE to go there.

He said rather than explain it, he'd demonstrate. He said: "Let me find someone who looks like God." He brought an elderly Italian woman in a veil into the main aisle and asked her to stand with her arms open as if welcoming an embrace. He pointed to her and said: "this is God." Then he raised his own hand and said "I'm a poor sinner like everyone else here." Then he turned his back to her, crossed his arms on his chest, and said: "this is hell."

After a moment he turned around and took her in his arms. She hugged him back. Over her shoulder and with a broad smile he said "THIS is heaven - the choice is always ours. God constantly invites us to accept his love. If we choose to accept his love and love him in return, we'll do his will. If we do this, we choose to spend eternity joined to him. But, if we refuse the love and grace he offers, we don't live his will for us, and choose to spend eternity shut off from him. Hell is the complete absence of God. All too many people choose this for themselves. It breaks God's heart, but he will not force them to accept his wonderful gift."

This was a life-changing revelation for me and helped me love God because I no longer feared or resented his wrath. I saw that he wants nothing more than our love and faithful adherence to his will.

'"Behold, I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears my voice and opens the door, (then) I will enter his house and dine with him, and he with me. I will give the victor the right to sit with me on my throne, as I myself first won the victory and sit with my Father on his throne."
- Revelation 3:20-21

Beautiful David...!!!

Thank you... This helps me clarify my understanding as well... theheart
Jul 25th 2013 new
(quote) Paul-866591 said: Your opinion is in direct opposition to what Christ Himself said.

He said (paraphrasing His words) that the path and gate to heaven are very narrow and few will get in. And Most will choose the wider path and gate leading to hell.

He did not specify a percentage bu the illustration He draws indicates that the majority of mankind will go to eternal fire.
I think you misinterpret His words. And I think it sad that you think the majority of humanity will go to hell.
Posts 41 - 50 of 159