Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

error: Post not found!

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for discussion related to learning about the faith (Catechetics), defense of the Faith (Apologetics), the Liturgy and canon law, motivated by a desire to grow closer to Christ or to bring someone else closer.

Saint Augustine of Hippo is considered on of the greatest Christian thinkers of all time and the Doctor of the Church.
Learn More: Saint Augustine

Jul 25th 2013 new
(quote) Tom-112790 said: I think you misinterpret His words. And I think it sad that you think the majority of humanity will go to hell.
Christ repeated it a couple of times. His words are direct and not obscure. To interpret His words in any other way is to put a meaning on it that is not there.
Jul 25th 2013 new
(quote) David-364112 said:
God is all merciful. He is not punishing.

A picture or a demonstration is worth thousands of words. I always had a problem with a God who'd send me to hell.

Several years ago, I saw a demonstration of the question you asked during a sermon. The priest said that God does not wish to throw anyone into hell but rather, those who end up there CHOOSE to go there.

He said rather than explain it, he'd demonstrate. He said: "Let me find someone who looks like God." He brought an elderly Italian woman in a veil into the main aisle and asked her to stand with her arms open as if welcoming an embrace. He pointed to her and said: "this is God." Then he raised his own hand and said "I'm a poor sinner like everyone else here." Then he turned his back to her, crossed his arms on his chest, and said: "this is hell."

After a moment he turned around and took her in his arms. She hugged him back. Over her shoulder and with a broad smile he said "THIS is heaven - the choice is always ours. God constantly invites us to accept his love. If we choose to accept his love and love him in return, we'll do his will. If we do this, we choose to spend eternity joined to him. But, if we refuse the love and grace he offers, we don't live his will for us, and choose to spend eternity shut off from him. Hell is the complete absence of God. All too many people choose this for themselves. It breaks God's heart, but he will not force them to accept his wonderful gift."

This was a life-changing revelation for me and helped me love God because I no longer feared or resented his wrath. I saw that he wants nothing more than our love and faithful adherence to his will.

'"Behold, I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears my voice and opens the door, (then) I will enter his house and dine with him, and he with me. I will give the victor the right to sit with me on my throne, as I myself first won the victory and sit with my Father on his throne."
- Revelation 3:20-21

I think all goodness comes from God. Therefore any good that one does in this life----Christian or not--is an acceptance of God.
I know this one woman--a non-Christian.She and her friend had a mutual friend who got skin cancer which over a 2 year period spread throughout her body. The 2 friends took constant,loving care of this friend till the day she died.
People of all faiths and in all situations do wonderful,selfless things...such as taking patient care of a parent or stranger over many years in a nursing home---or many other difficult , loving acts.
I believe all this goodness comes from The Father The Son and The Holy Spirit. And all love involves an acceptance of GOD.
People who do loving acts also sin to one extent or another for the most part. Depending on many things--I believe that this will result in varying degrees of purgatory.
I believe that those who go to hell must WANT to go to hell--and must want to hurt people and cause evil.How many of these people exist I don't know--But I certainly do not think they are the majority.
Those who are saints---whose life is a constant act of love/acceptance of Gods will---are rare---and they will go straight to heaven.
Purgatory is no picnic from what I have gleaned. The narrower path we choose the better.
Jul 25th 2013 new
(quote) Paul-866591 said: Christ repeated it a couple of times. His words are direct and not obscure. To interpret His words in any other way is to put a meaning on it that is not there.
you are adding your own interpretation to it my opinion
Jul 25th 2013 new
(quote) Tom-112790 said: you are adding your own interpretation to it my opinion
Okay, Christ said, on this very subject, "Many are called but few are chosen."

Please tell us what your interpretation of these 7 simple words are.
Jul 25th 2013 new
Psalm 136

1Praise the LORD, for he is good;a

for his mercy endures forever;

2Praise the God of gods;

3Praise the Lord of lords;

II

4Who alone has done great wonders,b

5Who skillfully made the heavens,c

6Who spread the earth upon the waters,d

7Who made the great lights,

8The sun to rule the day,

9The moon and stars to rule the night,e

III

10Who struck down the firstborn of Egypt,f

11And led Israel from their midst,

12With mighty hand and outstretched arm,g

13Who split in two the Red Sea,

14And led Israel through its midst,

15But swept Pharaoh and his army into the Red Sea,h

16Who led the people through the desert,i

IV

17Who struck down great kings,j

18Slew powerful kings,

19Sihon, king of the Amorites,

20Og, king of Bashan,

21And made their lands a heritage,

22*A heritage for Israel, his servant,

for his mercy endures forever.

V

23The Lord remembered us in our low estate,

24Freed us from our foes,

25And gives bread to all flesh,

VI

26Praise the God of heaven,

* [Psalm 136] The hymn praises Israels God (the God of gods, Ps 136:2), who has created the world in which Israel lives. The refrain occurring after every line suggests that a speaker and chorus sang the Psalm in antiphonal fashion. A single act of God is described in Ps 136:425. God arranges the heavens and the earth as the environment for human community, and then creates the community by freeing them and giving them land. In the final section (Ps 136:2325) God, who created the people and gave them land, continues to protect and nurture them.

Jul 25th 2013 new

Mercy of God, Scriptures from the New Testament

Matt 6:14

14 For if ye forgive men their trespasses, your heavenly Father will also forgive you: (KJV)

Matt 18:11-14

11 For the Son of man is come to save that which was lost.
12 How think ye? if a man have an hundred sheep, and one of them be gone astray, doth he not leave the ninety and nine, and goeth into the mountains, and seeketh that which is gone astray?
13 And if so be that he find it, verily I say unto you, he rejoiceth more of that sheep, than of the ninety and nine which went not astray.
14 Even so it is not the will of your Father which is in heaven, that one of these little ones should perish. (KJV)

Matt 18:23-27

23 Therefore is the kingdom of heaven likened unto a certain king, which would take account of his servants.
24 And when he had begun to reckon, one was brought unto him, which owed him ten thousand talents.
25 But forasmuch as he had not to pay, his lord commanded him to be sold, and his wife, and children, and all that he had, and payment to be made.
26 The servant therefore fell down, and worshipped him, saying, Lord, have patience with me, and I will pay thee all.
27 Then the lord of that servant was moved with compassion, and loosed him, and forgave him the debt. (KJV)

Luke 1:50

50 And his mercy is on them that fear him from generation to generation. (KJV)

Luke 1:77-78

77 To give knowledge of salvation unto his people by the remission of their sins,
78 Through the tender mercy of our God; whereby the dayspring from on high hath visited us, (KJV)

Luke 6:36

36 Be ye therefore merciful, as your Father also is merciful. (KJV)

Luke 15:4-7

4 What man of you, having an hundred sheep, if he lose one of them, doth not leave the ninety and nine in the wilderness, and go after that which is lost, until he find it?
5 And when he hath found it, he layeth it on his shoulders, rejoicing.
6 And when he cometh home, he calleth together his friends and neighbours, saying unto them, Rejoice with me; for I have found my sheep which was lost.
7 I say unto you, that likewise joy shall be in heaven over one sinner that repenteth, more than over ninety and nine just persons, which need no repentance. (KJV)

Acts 3:19

19 Repent ye therefore, and be converted, that your sins may be blotted out, when the times of refreshing shall come from the presence of the Lord; (KJV)

Acts 26:18

18 To open their eyes, and to turn them from darkness to light, and from the power of Satan unto God, that they may receive forgiveness of sins, and inheritance among them which are sanctified by faith that is in me. (KJV)

Rom 9:15

15 For he saith to Moses, I will have mercy on whom I will have mercy, and I will have compassion on whom I will have compassion. (KJV)

Rom 10:12-13

12 For there is no difference between the Jew and the Greek: for the same Lord over all is rich unto all that call upon him.
13 For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved. (KJV)

Rom 11:32

32 For God hath concluded them all in unbelief, that he might have mercy upon all. (KJV)

Rom 15:9

9 And that the Gentiles might glorify God for his mercy; as it is written, For this cause I will confess to thee among the Gentiles, and sing unto thy name. (KJV)

1 Cor 15:10

10 But by the grace of God I am what I am: and his grace which was bestowed upon me was not in vain; but I laboured more abundantly than they all: yet not I, but the grace of God which was with me. (KJV)

2 Cor 1:3

3 Blessed be God, even the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of mercies, and the God of all comfort; (KJV)

2 Cor 4:15

15 For all things are for your sakes, that the abundant grace might through the thanksgiving of many redound to the glory of God. (KJV)

2 Cor 12:9

9 And he said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me. (KJV)

Eph 1:6-8

6 To the praise of the glory of his grace, wherein he hath made us accepted in the beloved.
7 In whom we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, according to the riches of his grace;
8 Wherein he hath abounded toward us in all wisdom and prudence; (KJV)

Eph 2:4-7

4 But God, who is rich in mercy, for his great love wherewith he loved us,
5 Even when we were dead in sins, hath quickened us together with Christ, (by grace ye are saved;)
6 And hath raised us up together, and made us sit together in heavenly places in Christ Jesus:
7 That in the ages to come he might shew the exceeding riches of his grace in his kindness toward us through Christ Jesus. (KJV)

1 Tim 1:13

13 Who was before a blasphemer, and a persecutor, and injurious: but I obtained mercy, because I did it ignorantly in unbelief. (KJV)

Titus 3:5

5 Not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to his mercy he saved us, by the washing of regeneration, and renewing of the Holy Ghost; (KJV)

Heb 4:16

16 Let us therefore come boldly unto the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy, and find grace to help in time of need. (KJV)

Heb 8:12

12 For I will be merciful to their unrighteousness, and their sins and their iniquities will I remember no more. (KJV)

James 2:13

13 For he shall have judgment without mercy, that hath shewed no mercy; and mercy rejoiceth against judgment. (KJV)

James 4:8

8 Draw nigh to God, and he will draw nigh to you. Cleanse your hands, ye sinners; and purify your hearts, ye double minded. (KJV)

James 5:11

11 Behold, we count them happy which endure. Ye have heard of the patience of Job, and have seen the end of the Lord; that the Lord is very pitiful, and of tender mercy. (KJV)

James 5:15

15 And the prayer of faith shall save the sick, and the Lord shall raise him up; and if he have committed sins, they shall be forgiven him. (KJV)

1 Pet 1:3

3 Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, which according to his abundant mercy hath begotten us again unto a lively hope by the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead, (KJV)

1 Pet 2:10

10 Which in time past were not a people, but are now the people of God: which had not obtained mercy, but now have obtained mercy. (KJV)

1 Pet 5:10

10 But the God of all grace, who hath called us unto his eternal glory by Christ Jesus, after that ye have suffered a while, make you perfect, stablish, strengthen, settle you. (KJV)

2 Pet 3:9

9 The Lord is not slack concerning his promise, as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance. (KJV)

2 Pet 3:15

15 And account that the longsuffering of our Lord is salvation; even as our beloved brother Paul also according to the wisdom given unto him hath written unto you; (KJV)

I Jn 1:9

9 If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness. (KJV)

Jul 25th 2013 new
Gods Mercy in St Faustina from a web site devoted to Gods mercy

Jesus wanted St. Faustina to let the world know of His endless mercy. In one of the visions, He told St. Faustina, My mercy is so great that no mind, be it of man or of angel, will be able to fathom it throughout all eternity.
I think this is important to remember because sometimes the reason that we fail to turn to God is because we fear that what we have done in life is so horrible that He could never forgive us. When we do that, we tend to stray further away and do more harm to ourselves and feel like we could never return to God.
Nothing could be further from the truth though. God wants nothing more than for us to be there with Him. God WANTS to forgive us. But the first step for that forgiveness us for us to turn towards him and ask for it!
So say that Gods mercy is infinite or unfathomable is too deep for our finite minds to imageobviously (that IS what unfathomable means). So let me try to give two imperfect examples. Imagine that one drop of sea water contains enough of Gods mercy to forgive all of the sins of the world from the beginning of time to the end of time. Now imagine that God has enough mercy to fill the oceans of the world---from sea to sea and to the depths of the oceans trenches. He has enough mercy for you. Turn to Him.
Second exampleimagine the most evil man in history. You can pick whoever you want but for my example, Im going to pick Adolf Hitler. He was a bad dude. He was responsible for the deaths and torture of who knows how many people. He was the cause of World War II. When some would think of evil incarnate they would picture Adolf Hitler. I think that most people would assume that he is burning in hell right now. But hold on to your socks because we are told not to judge lest we be judged and here is why. ImagineAdolf is in his bunker. The Russians are a few miles away and getting closer. His mistress has just killed herself. He puts the gun to his head and pulls the trigger. The firing pin strikes the primer, the gunpowder explodes propelling the bullet towards Hitlers brain to end his life. Now say, theoretically, that in that millisecond it takes before Hitler is dead, Hitler turns his life towards Jesus and asks for his forgiveness and proclaims Jesus as his savior. God would forgive Hitler for all of his sins and Adolf Hitler would spend eternity in Heaven with God (maybe a few million years in purgatory but thats another blog altogether). You are probably saying, Jamie, thats fricken crazy, stupid, dumbthat would never happen. Im not saying at all that it didI am just trying to get across to you the infinite mercy, and His desire for no soul to go to Hell.
If one drop of water contains all the mercy God needs or if He is capable of forgiving Hitler, please, do not think that anything that you have done in your life is too much for God too forgive. God loves you. Dont be afraid of Him. Jesus, I Trust in You.
Jul 25th 2013 new
During confession, a few years ago, I mentioned this very subject to my priest. I had recently lost a loved one and was contemplating my own death with fear about going to hell because " I wasn't good enough". The priest looked at me and said only one thing "Jan, God loves you more than you know". The priest absolved me and I entered the adoration chapel to do my penance. I thought about what he said, but I didn't really understand it. But, that one sentence from the priest has played over and over in my mind. I have concluded that God does love me more than I realize and we wants me in heaven with Him. He forgives all the sins I have committed because He knows I'm of a human nature. He loves me because he knows I'm trying my best to get to heaven, even though I stumble and fall. I believe it is the Holy Spirit who keeps whispering in my ear "Jan, God loves you more than you realize". Kenny, God loves you also, more than you realize, even though you stumble and fall. I've read your postings and I believe you do love God, you are well intentioned, and you participate in the sacraments. I also know you are grieving the loss of your beloved wife and suffering from being separated from her. You can offer up your suffering as a sacrifice. God bless you, Kenny, and may God grant you peace.
Jul 25th 2013 new
(quote) Tom-112790 said: I think all goodness comes from God. Therefore any good that one does in this life----Christian or not--is an acceptance of God.
I know this one woman--a non-Christian.She and her friend had a mutual friend who got skin cancer which over a 2 year period spread throughout her body. The 2 friends took constant,loving care of this friend till the day she died.
People of all faiths and in all situations do wonderful,selfless things...such as taking patient care of a parent or stranger over many years in a nursing home---or many other difficult , loving acts.
I believe all this goodness comes from The Father The Son and The Holy Spirit. And all love involves an acceptance of GOD.
People who do loving acts also sin to one extent or another for the most part. Depending on many things--I believe that this will result in varying degrees of purgatory.
I believe that those who go to hell must WANT to go to hell--and must want to hurt people and cause evil.How many of these people exist I don't know--But I certainly do not think they are the majority.
Those who are saints---whose life is a constant act of love/acceptance of Gods will---are rare---and they will go straight to heaven.
Purgatory is no picnic from what I have gleaned. The narrower path we choose the better.
I agree Tom.... Many, many people are well intentioned yet have not the chance to come to know God's unfathomable love. We are never to judge another soul for though we may see the good, or lack of good that peson does... only God sees the heart. What He sees is the complete life story and the hidden wounds & burdens he or she carries. This is what mercy is .... complete understanding of where a person is coming from, & why they choose to behave in certain ways. It is offering that soul the chance understand themselves, get up & try it again. None of us need fear His judgement, for He is all love & understanding. What's scary is to NOT turn to Him for His exquisite tender care.

Purgatory is an expansive example of God's mercy. We will all need to speak the languages of love & virtue in order to be comfortable in Heaven. Purgatory is the wayside stop Our Lord prepared for us to rest, reflect & recover from our earthly journeys. We will have a chance to learn lessons we didn't quite finish on earth. Yes this is painful... All we need do is remember a time in our life when we royally messed up, but learned & changed tactics. Purgatory is a place of complete safety & truth where we can finish this work... "And the truth shall set you free!"

His Peace to all.... theheart
Jul 25th 2013 new
(quote) Donna-521814 said: Gods Mercy in St Faustina from a web site devoted to Gods mercy

Jesus wanted St. Faustina to let the world know of His endless mercy. In one of the visions, He told St. Faustina, My mercy is so great that no mind, be it of man or of angel, will be able to fathom it throughout all eternity.
I think this is important to remember because sometimes the reason that we fail to turn to God is because we fear that what we have done in life is so horrible that He could never forgive us. When we do that, we tend to stray further away and do more harm to ourselves and feel like we could never return to God.
Nothing could be further from the truth though. God wants nothing more than for us to be there with Him. God WANTS to forgive us. But the first step for that forgiveness us for us to turn towards him and ask for it!
So say that Gods mercy is infinite or unfathomable is too deep for our finite minds to imageobviously (that IS what unfathomable means). So let me try to give two imperfect examples. Imagine that one drop of sea water contains enough of Gods mercy to forgive all of the sins of the world from the beginning of time to the end of time. Now imagine that God has enough mercy to fill the oceans of the world---from sea to sea and to the depths of the oceans trenches. He has enough mercy for you. Turn to Him.
Second exampleimagine the most evil man in history. You can pick whoever you want but for my example, Im going to pick Adolf Hitler. He was a bad dude. He was responsible for the deaths and torture of who knows how many people. He was the cause of World War II. When some would think of evil incarnate they would picture Adolf Hitler. I think that most people would assume that he is burning in hell right now. But hold on to your socks because we are told not to judge lest we be judged and here is why. ImagineAdolf is in his bunker. The Russians are a few miles away and getting closer. His mistress has just killed herself. He puts the gun to his head and pulls the trigger. The firing pin strikes the primer, the gunpowder explodes propelling the bullet towards Hitlers brain to end his life. Now say, theoretically, that in that millisecond it takes before Hitler is dead, Hitler turns his life towards Jesus and asks for his forgiveness and proclaims Jesus as his savior. God would forgive Hitler for all of his sins and Adolf Hitler would spend eternity in Heaven with God (maybe a few million years in purgatory but thats another blog altogether). You are probably saying, Jamie, thats fricken crazy, stupid, dumbthat would never happen. Im not saying at all that it didI am just trying to get across to you the infinite mercy, and His desire for no soul to go to Hell.
If one drop of water contains all the mercy God needs or if He is capable of forgiving Hitler, please, do not think that anything that you have done in your life is too much for God too forgive. God loves you. Dont be afraid of Him. Jesus, I Trust in You.
This is so beautiful Donna....
Thank you for sharing.... rose
Posts 51 - 60 of 159