Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for discussion related to learning about the faith (Catechetics), defense of the Faith (Apologetics), the Liturgy and canon law, motivated by a desire to grow closer to Christ or to bring someone else closer.

Saint Augustine of Hippo is considered on of the greatest Christian thinkers of all time and the Doctor of the Church.
Learn More: Saint Augustine

Jul 22 new
Richard,
1. You have received some wonderful spiritual advice here, especially from Jerry, our moderator. Please consider that.
2. Have you considered that you might be depressed and your serotonin levels may be off kilter? A combination of psychotherapy and antidepressants might help you feel much better. Find a Beck Depression Inventory II online somewhere to give you feedback.
3. And just to tell you for the 10th time, your picture looks out of date. Self-respecting women everywhere are probably ignoring you because they don't trust your advertising. Deep down, however, we are waiting for you to get a new picture to show us that you're doing better.
Best. cool
Jul 23 new
Thank you, Richard, for your kind post. I do agree with you, and I think perhaps some folks here may just have a more positive outlook on life than I do, I don't know. But, having lost a spouse that was the love of my life and that I had for only 15 short years, and to have that replaced with horrible nothingness--no one to talk to, no one to shop with, no one to ask "what should WE do about this?", no one to call when my car breaks down, no one to care if I am in the hospital, or have the flu, no one to bring me some ibuprofen, no one to ask if I need something from the store, no one to help with a sick child in the middle of the night, or to help discipline one who has reached the teen years, no one to comfort me after a nightmare--no one.

And every time I see happy, hand in hand couples--especially older ones--I feel a (big) twinge of envy. Every time I read my friend's blogs about being a "catholic wife and mom", I feel the same thing. I don't know what my place in life is anymore.
Jul 23 new

We think sometimes that poverty is only being hungry, naked and homeless. The poverty of being unwanted, unloved and uncared for is the greatest poverty. We must start in our own homes to remedy this kind of poverty.

Mother Teresa

May God help you find ways to share so that
this poverty will not over take you
Jul 23 new
Be careful what you wish for!!!

m.youtube.com
Jul 23 new
Great advice I think this guy needs a Guardian Angel
Jul 23 new
You need to get out of the house and look to find people with different iinterest.
There are a lot of groups with hobbies on http://www.meetup.com
Start going to different Catholic Churches around where you live.
Get out of the house and start walking on a high school track or path in a park.
TO MEET A FRIEND, YOU HAVE TO BE A FRIEND
Go volunteer....
Try to compliment the people at 7-11 where you buy your coffee
Be a person, not a shadow
You are lucky you do not live near me....I would take you out for a GUINNESS
Jul 23 new
(quote) Margo-404841 said: Richard,
1. You have received some wonderful spiritual advice here, especially from Jerry, our moderator. Please consider that.
2. Have you considered that you might be depressed and your serotonin levels may be off kilter? A combination of psychotherapy and antidepressants might help you feel much better. Find a Beck Depression Inventory II online somewhere to give you feedback.
3. And just to tell you for the 10th time, your picture looks out of date. Self-respecting women everywhere are probably ignoring you because they don't trust your advertising. Deep down, however, we are waiting for you to get a new picture to show us that you're doing better.
Best.
Margo,would make a great Angel
Jul 23 new
(quote) Jim-397948 said: You need to get out of the house and look to find people with different iinterest.
There are a lot of groups with hobbies on www.meetup.com
Start going to different Catholic Churches around where you live.
Get out of the house and start walking on a high school track or path in a park.
TO MEET A FRIEND, YOU HAVE TO BE A FRIEND
Go volunteer....
Try to compliment the people at 7-11 where you buy your coffee
Be a person, not a shadow
You are lucky you do not live near me....I would take you out for a GUINNESS
But he HAS friends, though. That's not what he is saying.
Jul 23 new
As often happens here with these threads, somehow they get drastically diverted from the original topic and go so far afield that it creates a life of its own ... The original post had nothing to do with having friends or not having friends (BTW, I have plenty) ,,, The original post asked if in those moments or periods where you feel alone (because one can feel alone in a room of 100 friends), is your faith enough for you to overcome any negative feelings that might manifest themselves? Are you able to draw on your faith to see you through? If you don't have a significant other and/or family, how do you view your place in the world? ... So, this was not meant to be a referendum on whether I need pets or new pics or medication or whatever else I might personally benefit from .... It was, frankly, intended to have folks who have fetl these pangs to express how they deal with them .. In a sense, it was intended for people who might experience some tough times occasionally, as opposed to be intended for folks who rarely go through this stuff ... So, no hard feelings toward anyone, just wanted to try to get things back on track ...
Jul 23 new
(quote) Richard-15378 said: As often happens here with these threads, somehow they get drastically diverted from the original topic and go so far afield that it creates a life of its own ... The original post had nothing to do with having friends or not having friends (BTW, I have plenty) ,,, The original post asked if in those moments or periods where you feel alone (because one can feel alone in a room of 100 friends), is your faith enough for you to overcome any negative feelings that might manifest themselves? Are you able to draw on your faith to see you through? If you don't have a significant other and/or family, how do you view your place in the world? ... So, this was not meant to be a referendum on whether I need pets or new pics or medication or whatever else I might personally benefit from .... It was, frankly, intended to have folks who have fetl these pangs to express how they deal with them .. In a sense, it was intended for people who might experience some tough times occasionally, as opposed to be intended for folks who rarely go through this stuff ... So, no hard feelings toward anyone, just wanted to try to get things back on track ...
Sorry if earlier I wandered astray from the original idea, Richard.

It has been a process. No, in those moments where I felt alone--and I felt this a heck of a lot from age 20 to my 40s--my faith, however little of it I had at any of those times, did not help me overcome. There were many times, early on, that I'd curl up into a ball and cry myself to sleep. There were escapes I took that did more harm than good. One of those escapes was marriage. It was a bandaid of sorts, but a misuse of the Sacrament. Through my misery, I worked at finding answers, and kept turning to God over & over. He has healed a lot of the wounds. I DO draw on my relationship with Him. I keep practicing trusting Him for all my needs. It's still a process, as all of life is a process, I think. I'm still working at understanding my place in the world. I think that's changing, too.
Posts 31 - 40 of 89