Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

Discussion related to living as a Catholic in the single state of life. As long as a topic is being discussed from the perspective of a single Catholic then it will be on-topic.

Tobias and Sarah's story is from the Book of Tobit, and his journey is guided by Saint Raphael.
Learn More: Tobias & Sarah as led by Saint Raphael

Jul 24th 2013 new
I most definitely talk to strangers, though some would say it's hard to find anyone "stranger" than me! laughing

Seriously, though, I am a very social person, and have been known to strike up a conversation anywhere with anyone. Several of my friends have made the comment, "he doesn't know a stranger." I generally can strike up a conversation, find common ground, and be involved a meaningful chat with someone within minutes of saying "hello." I've put this to great use when traveling on business, as I'm generally alone when I go to eat or grab a drink at the hotel bar. Often, the people I meet are also sitting alone, and are happy to have the company, but not "brave" enough to start the conversation.

I do cherish a bit of alone time, but if I'm in a group setting, I'm probably going to be in the middle of the action, so to speak. Unless I'm hosting, in which case I'll be in the kitchen, with several people standing around watching me prepare drinks, cook a meal, or put together some snacks. I need a bigger kitchen!
Jul 24th 2013 new
Sometimes a stranger is too strange!
Last time I was out shopping alone, as I was sitting in my van adding a couple items to my list, an older man ( 91yo on Monday -- he told me!) parked on my right, got out of his car, and started talking to me through my partially open window! I smiled and nodded and went back to writing, and he came around to my side of my van and stood there talking to me through that window! He wanted to know if I had any children and wanted me to bring them to his home to see his pony. He kept telling me it was the prettiest pony ever and that my kids just had to see it! He followed me into the store and persisted in trying to talk to me, but I had shopping to do and could move a lot faster and lost him after a while. He could be just a lonely old man -- but I was definitely getting a creepy feeling from him.
But today the gas meter reader guy came and he was a new one and we had a nice long chat -- not creepy at all.
Jul 24th 2013 new
I just feel like the voices in my head aren't strangers at all! KIDDING!!

Yes I do. Here on CM, and out and about. If so moved I can pretty much start a conversation with anyone. I find that everyone has something really interesting to share or some insight. Sometimes talking to a stranger who you will never see again makes it easier to share an idea or a concern. I've had it happen that a "stranger" will share something deeply personal or painful and, if I can help, for just a moment I feel part of their healing.

Other times striking up a conversation with a stranger has led to a real friendship! As far as responding to someone initiating a conversation with me....I usually let the Holy Spirit help me gauge intent. If they feel "safe" then for sure...but if something feels "off" then I Flo-Jo it out of there.
Jul 24th 2013 new
(quote) Josephine-586127 said:

Oh yeah Chris, single women galore here. Most are not practicing Catholics though assuming that's what you're looking for. You would have to go to the many catholic events if you want to meet a nice Catholic girl. Lots of great single women at Catholic events. Do your homework before getting here.

Thank you for the advice, Josephine. Some Catholic girls I've met are a bit leery about the Latin Mass and of my being more of a Traditional Catholic, so I might have better luck with the non-practicing ones laughing

My brother is moving to Washington Heights in October and I'll be visiting him in December. In the meantime, I'll do my homework and check out those catholic events!
Jul 24th 2013 new
It depends. There has to be a reason I want to initiate conversation. I'm not the personality type who will strike up a conversation just because I want to talk. I did initiate about a 45 second conversation today with a stranger (a woman) as we were locking up our bikes in front of a Barnes and Noble. I saw we had the same bike lock and mentioned that to her. I heard a short story about her old lock rusting out and her just buying this new one. She asked if I thought it was good, and I told her have had mine for 4 years with no problems.
Without something to connect to or to be interested in, I usually don't or if I get a bad vibe about a person. That's what makes online initiating more difficult- no in-person vibe. Eventually though, people show their true colors.
Jul 24th 2013 new
Yes it seems whenever I am out...at a check out or in a line someone talks to me that I do not know. It happens to me all the time :)
Jul 24th 2013 new
Yes it seems whenever I am out...at a check out or in a line someone talks to me that I do not know. It happens to me all the time :)
Jul 24th 2013 new
Some of my friends have said that it is amazing that i've never known a stranger but if you run into someone waiting somewhere or see someone looking uncomfortable or alone, isn't that a sign it's time to visit with them? People are great and i pretty much figure my Guardian Angel protects me from the scary ones or at least the scary parts of anyone, just as long as i pay attention and don't forget he's there for me.
Jul 24th 2013 new
(quote) Chris-427945 said: Thank you for the advice, Josephine. Some Catholic girls I've met are a bit leery about the Latin Mass and of my being more of a Traditional Catholic, so I might have better luck with the non-practicing ones

My brother is moving to Washington Heights in October and I'll be visiting him in December. In the meantime, I'll do my homework and check out those catholic events!
There is free bowling and snacks every First Friday at the Tridentine Rite Immaculate Conception in Omaha, NE after the First Friday Mass and Devotions, although that is not an entire weekend event it does have women of every age who attend the Latin Mass regularly and prefer it above all others.
Jul 24th 2013 new
(quote) Chris-427945 said: Thank you for the advice, Josephine. Some Catholic girls I've met are a bit leery about the Latin Mass and of my being more of a Traditional Catholic, so I might have better luck with the non-practicing ones

Uhhh. We do have Latin masses and Latin mass communities here. So no non practicing Catholic gals for you. eyebrow

Best of luck to your brother. I hope he loves it here.

Posts 41 - 50 of 82