Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

Discussion related to living as a Catholic in the single state of life. As long as a topic is being discussed from the perspective of a single Catholic then it will be on-topic.

Tobias and Sarah's story is from the Book of Tobit, and his journey is guided by Saint Raphael.
Learn More: Tobias & Sarah as led by Saint Raphael

Jul 28th 2013 new
(quote) Ann-69118 said: If they don't look too scarey .....everyone is a stranger before you get to know them.
So true, Ann!
Jul 28th 2013 new
(quote) Keith-585743 said: I most definitely talk to strangers, though some would say it's hard to find anyone "stranger" than me!

Seriously, though, I am a very social person, and have been known to strike up a conversation anywhere with anyone. Several of my friends have made the comment, "he doesn't know a stranger." I generally can strike up a conversation, find common ground, and be involved a meaningful chat with someone within minutes of saying "hello." I've put this to great use when traveling on business, as I'm generally alone when I go to eat or grab a drink at the hotel bar. Often, the people I meet are also sitting alone, and are happy to have the company, but not "brave" enough to start the conversation.

I do cherish a bit of alone time, but if I'm in a group setting, I'm probably going to be in the middle of the action, so to speak. Unless I'm hosting, in which case I'll be in the kitchen, with several people standing around watching me prepare drinks, cook a meal, or put together some snacks. I need a bigger kitchen!
Hi Keith! wave

I just figure people are fascinated by the strangeness of me. laughing

Like you, I long ago shed that self-conscious feeling of being in public alone. It does take some "bravery", though, to try to shed that status by striking up a conversation. Often it would be easier to be alone and unnoticed. But usually it isn't as fun. Adventure favors the brave.
Jul 28th 2013 new
(quote) Leyden-904885 said: I just feel like the voices in my head aren't strangers at all! KIDDING!!

Yes I do. Here on CM, and out and about. If so moved I can pretty much start a conversation with anyone. I find that everyone has something really interesting to share or some insight. Sometimes talking to a stranger who you will never see again makes it easier to share an idea or a concern. I've had it happen that a "stranger" will share something deeply personal or painful and, if I can help, for just a moment I feel part of their healing.

Other times striking up a conversation with a stranger has led to a real friendship! As far as responding to someone initiating a conversation with me....I usually let the Holy Spirit help me gauge intent. If they feel "safe" then for sure...but if something feels "off" then I Flo-Jo it out of there.
I too have noticed that often strangers will share the deeply personal with me. Perhaps because we don't know each other they don't place any stock in my judgement of them. It cathartic to share with a stranger, I think.
Jul 28th 2013 new
Yep Dawn, its funny when sis and bub are with me... They will ask me who was that dad... hehe... The conversations just seem to happen...Alot of times its at the grocery store... While I'm on a walk with Sammy girl...
Jul 28th 2013 new
Hi Dawn waveYes I do. This is kind of a mixed answer for me because, I talk to strangers everyday, either in my job or in public somewhere. Here in the midwest it's not unusual for a stranger to ask if this shirt looks o k on them, or if these gloves would fit their wife etc. I see many people whom are sick and in wheelchairs or a walker or the like and they just want someone to recognize that they are not contagious or strange because they are ill or old. They deserve love too. And they just appreciate a smile or even a hello. Or more if you have the time. I have always had people talk to me first too anywhere. I have been told I have a friendly demeanor. I say hello to strangers. Only in certain places in Chicago where I grew up, you had to be careful, and act "tough" or someone would take it for weakness and try to hurt you. It's charming to see the looks on peoples faces when you say hello and they don't know you. But if I am at a party or some social situation I can get kinda shy but I still try to flit around and be outgoing. People are surprised to find out a have a shy side. I love people so it comes naturally for me most of the time. rose wave
Jul 28th 2013 new
(quote) Dawn-58330 said: So, Reena, where else should we practice on a day to day basis?
Hi Ms. Dawn

Hmmm..grocery store, gym, any store, subway, gas station....

...let's brain storm laughing

Jul 30th 2013 new
(quote) Josephine-586127 said:

Hi Leon ,

How are you?

Josephine,

Hello, I am doing well and hope life is going well for you also. It continues to be hot as Hades but that is this part of the country.,

I am not on CM as frequent but good to see you here again.

Blessings always, Praying hug rose

Leon
Jul 30th 2013 new
(quote) Dawn-58330 said: Sir Leon! good to see you!
Ms. Dawn,

Hello and also good to see you. I hope life is going well for you. I am not on CM as frequent but good to see you once again. Since my membership in July, 2010, your presence always makes a room so much brighter.

God bless always, Praying hug rose

Leon
Jul 30th 2013 new
I work in retail... I don't have a choice BUT to talk to strangers!! But yes, in general, I will talk to strangers, as I don't think they can be any "stranger" than me! wink laughing
Jul 30th 2013 new
I soo totally agree Jane!

Where I grew up, if you were driving, walking, or riding a bike down the street, you waved at them, even if you didn't know them! I think that is why Midwesterners are so friendly! biggrin biggrin
Posts 71 - 80 of 82