Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

Discussion related to living as a Catholic in the single state of life. As long as a topic is being discussed from the perspective of a single Catholic then it will be on-topic.

Tobias and Sarah's story is from the Book of Tobit, and his journey is guided by Saint Raphael.
Learn More: Tobias & Sarah as led by Saint Raphael

marriage vs singleness

Jul 26th 2013 new
Hello,
In 1 Cor. 7 St. Paul writes that married people will face many troubles in this life and that though it is not a sin to marry, it is better to remain unmarried and have fewer worldly distractions so as to be be completely devoted to the Lord. In other words, it is easier to acheive our ultimate goal, heaven, if we remain unmarried. Knowing this then, why should we go against his sage advice and seek marriage anyway? What do you think?
Jul 26th 2013 new
(quote) Kevin-983216 said: Hello,
In 1 Cor. 7 St. Paul writes that married people will face many troubles in this life and that though it is not a sin to marry, it is better to remain unmarried and have fewer worldly distractions so as to be be completely devoted to the Lord. In other words, it is easier to acheive our ultimate goal, heaven, if we remain unmarried. Knowing this then, why should we go against his sage advice and seek marriage anyway? What do you think?
1 Cor. 7:9 - ...it is better to marry than to be burnt.
Jul 26th 2013 new
In Genesis God said "be fruitful and multiply".A King beats a Prince! Lol!
Jul 26th 2013 new
Hi Kevin,
Welcome to the forums!
St. Thomas Aquinas usually has a pretty good answer for things. dhspriory.org
I hope this gets the ball rolling!
Jul 26th 2013 new

I too have read that numerous times....But also in Genesis God saw that man was not complete and created woman for mutual companionship....

God created beautiful scenarios for marriage and we humans sometimes,,,well,,,we act too human.....

If we can be blessed to have a forever bestest friend Sweetheart to travel all the bumpy roads of life with us,,,that,,,I feel ,,,is pleasing to God,,,and to the couple as well...

Being alone,,,loneliness,,,or whatever term you wish to use,,, can be sad and a negative at times.....
No matter how much we may volunteer or do acts of kindness and help people,,,,,,without a forever Sweetheart to share those things with,,,,or to be with at the end of the day,,,,can still make for loneliness at times....
My wife and I always would say that there is """ NO I "" in "" TEAM"".
To be with someone that we truly,,truly,,truly,can be 100% ourselves with and whom we know loves us more than they love themselves is a beautiful God given gift..
A young lady said it so wonderfully in a posting last week here on CM....
She said that we SIMPLY act as Christlike as possible towards each other...We should do this for all people,,,but especially in a married situation....

But,,,as the saying goes,,life and youth are sometimes wasted on the young....When we were young,,maybe you too,,,,we ,,I,,didn't worry about things so much...
Now,,I,,,we,,,,some,,,as we age worry so much more.....
We can't """ Sing in The Rain """ if we let the world interfere.....

We return now to our regularly scheduled programming.....!
Jul 26th 2013 new
"But if they do not contain themselves, let them marry. For it is better to marry than to be burnt." - 1 Cr 7:9

Paul alludes to our weaknesses. Certainly, sex outside of marriage would be a cause for concern.
Jul 26th 2013 new
Plus, singleness has a tendency to selfishness.
Jul 26th 2013 new
I find more and more that although I too have been burned numerous times, and still seek my husband, most Catholic men I meet are too fearful of being hurt or having a bad relationship to actually get close to giving themselves. I don't mean sexually - I mean non-sexual intimacy like really talking, etc. I am not huge on always discussing ones feelings, but it's nice to know at this age if two people are actually moving in the same direction, and so many Catholic men don't seem comfortable with being vulnerable with a woman. Ironically, these same men also don't seem to have the motivation or initiative to go find a suitable match and be assertive in the "chase." I believe that men and women, unless really not predisposed to marriage, or fulfilling a religious vocation, are better together than apart~ the two parts create a whole that is way bigger and more meaningful than each part on its own. I am hoping God reveals my other half to me. :-) **Disclaimer - this is most Catholic men I have met - not ALL Catholic men~ don't take offense, please~
Jul 26th 2013 new
I heard that the reason Paul gives confusing advice on marriage is because he thought Christ would soon return and therefore told the unmarried to stay unmarried.
Jul 26th 2013 new
Sorry to say I am here to find someone to date and maybe become married not be single.
Posts 1 - 10 of 44