Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This is the place to post any questions about the way that CatholicMatch works or make suggestions. This room is open to both free and subscribing members.

Saint Anthony is the patron of lost things and missing persons.
Learn More:Saint Anthony

Jul 28th 2013 new
I would have to agree, characture flaw. Those that have been burn by these of lacking good moral upbring, make it that much harder to be trusted.
Jul 28th 2013 new
(quote) Cathy-564420 said: The only misconception I believe is when they are Divorced and have Unsure in their profile for Free to Marry. It's like Really? Ugh. I've been married for 10+ years, two children, divorced, still friends but he had issues and committed suicide shortly after. Did I Grieve, you bet your bottom dollar. It has been really really hard for me and the kids and the public doesn't understand that because you were divorced! Should I say I am divorced when I am clearly Free to Marry, or should I say I am divorced, free to marry, but never had an annulment?? I don't think status's mean a Hill of Bean unless you get to know the person. If they say widowed, they are in the Eyes of God. Until Death do you Part and no man should break that bond. I guess it is all a preference and how long you were married, did you get an annulment, and what you did in your marriage, what you created in your marriage, and if it ended in death, I would consider someone widowed. So I would not judge anyone for deceitfulness here before I got to know them as I know others in my situation who feel the same. There was a loss, a great loss, and divorce, widow, etc., is a hugh loss. Maybe CM should just have are you Free to Marry or Not and be done with it. My 2 cents! God Bless!!
In the eyes of the church, there is nothing to annul. Your ex did what he did for what ever reason. You are technicaly
a widow.
Jul 28th 2013 new
(quote) Helen-450889 said: Adam,

They are not free to marry if they had a previous marriage that did not end in death, and do not have an annulment for that one.

Therefore,

Their status should be: Widow/Widowed and Not Free to Marry
Ah, now I see. We're talking about someone with TWO (or more, I suppose) previous civil marriages. I apologize for the misunderstanding.

The strict answer, of course, is that if the first marriage was not annulled, the second one never happened, so the person isn't a widow (in the eyes of Holy Mother Church, at least), and so should just choose Divorced.

Admittedly, this is all complicated enough that CM would be well served by having new members list ALL previous civil marriages and how they were terminated, at which point the CM computers could determine - and display in the profile - the 'correct' status. Of course they would then get help tickets from people in the situation we're discussing here, but that would be a small price to pay.

The 'Divorced, previous spouse deceased' could be a nice middle ground. It clearly makes no sense in the strictly Catholic context, but clearly the word 'widow' is so deeply attached to cultural expectations that I can certainly understand the hesitance to select it, even if it is 'ecclesiastically correct'.
Jul 28th 2013 new
I am locking this thread up as it should have been locked or moved from the get go. This room is not for debating the marital status of individuals. If at anytime you believe someone is misrepresenting themselves through their profile or other communication, you should send a customer service ticket. If there is a violation of our terms of use our team will take the appropriate action.
Jul 28th 2013 new
(quote) Brian-278516 said: I am locking this thread up as it should have been locked or moved from the get go. This room is not for debating the marital status of individuals. If at anytime you believe someone is misrepresenting themselves through their profile or other communication, you should send a customer service ticket. If there is a violation of our terms of use our team will take the appropriate action.
aw, that was a lot of good information...now you are locking it!!! scratchchin
Posts 21 - 25 of 25