Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match!

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for general discussion that doesn't specifically fit into one of the other CatholicMatch rooms. Topics should not be overly serious as this is to be more of a "cafe setting."

Saint Peter's Square was created so that more people could be in the presence of the Pope and was named after Saint Peter, one of Jesus's apostles.
Learn More: Saint Peter

Jul 31st 2013 new
"Let Go and Let God"
Jul 31st 2013 new
"Give me a worm who can comprehend man, and I will find a man who can comprehend the Triune God" ~John Wesley "I asked the Lord how much He loved me, He stretched out His arms and said, 'this much'. Then He died for me." ~anonymous
Jul 31st 2013 new
"Ecce agnus Dei."
-- John the Baptist (John 1:29)
The entire Old Testament history of sacrificial sin offerings to God reaches a new level here on the banks of the Jordan, when the perfect sacrifice is revealed to mankind. "Behold, the Lamb of God." In his infinite love for us, God supplies the only one that can truly atone for our transgressions.
Jul 31st 2013 new
"The more I know, the more nearly is my faith that of the Breton peasant."
-- Louis Pasteur, founder of physio-chemistry, father of bacteriology, inventor of bio-therapeuties, devout Catholic; offering simple, yet profound piety in a letter to his children.

"Finding the large-print version of "The Imitation of Christ" was one of my greatest discoveries."
-- Louis Thenard, chemist, prolific researcher, discoverer of Boron, popular educator, legislator, nobleman, member of the Academy of Sciences, Catholic.

"Well, we were at the third decade."
-- Rene Laennec; French physician, father of modern pulmonary disease research; to his wife, after he was thrown from their carriage in an accident; whereupon they went on with the rosary they had been reciting just before the accident.

Jul 31st 2013 new
MARTYRDOM

"I am a Christian and we commit no wrongdoing."
-- Blandina, slave; repeatedly to her torturers who exhausted themselves in the face of her steadfast faith

"That is our desire, to be tortured for Our Lord, Jesus Christ, and so to be saved, for that will give us salvation and firm confidence at the more terrible universal tribunal of Our Lord and Savior."
-- Justin Martyr, apologist, Saint; to the Prefect Rusticus after the prefect had threatened Justin with "torture without mercy;" from the trial transcript by Tatian (A.D. 165).

"Do as you wish; for we are Christians, and we do not sacrifice to idols."
-- Six companions of Justin Martyr, martyrs all; speaking to the Prefect Rusticus after he threatened them with "torture without mercy" unless they sacrificed to the Roman "gods;" from the trial transcript by Tatian (A.D. 165).

"If you should acknowledge and love Christ you would give up not only all the treasures of this life, but even the glory of your crown itself to win eternal life."
-- Saints Crispin and Crispinian, to Emperor Maximianus after he had used threats and bribes in an attempt to persuade them to renounce their faith; their martyrdom gained them heaven; Maximianus, after losing his crown, killed himself in despair.

"I am come here to die, being a Catholic, a priest, and a religious man, belonging to the Order of St. Benedict; it was by this same order that England was converted."
-- Mark Barkworth, convert, priest, martyr, Venerable; in comments to the crowd just before he was drawn and quartered at Tyburn on the first Tuesday of Lent, 1601.

"You may make the hearing of a blessed Mass treason, or the saying of an Ave Maria treason...but I have committed no treason, although, indeed, I suffer the punishment due to treason."
-- John Bodey, Venerable, English martyr; on the scaffold, upon hearing he was being executed for "treason".

"We consider that iron for this cause borne on earth shall surmount gold and precious stones in Heaven."
-- John Bodey, Venerable, English martyr; in a letter from prison, describing the honor he and his companions felt for bearing chains and imprisonment for the Catholic faith.

"The Majesty of God is greater."
-- Thomas Woodhouse, Blessed, priest and English martyr; to his examiners who had just described the majesty of Queen Elizabeth as "great"; he was then sentenced to death and disemboweled alive.

"The longer it lasts the better it will be."
-- Theo Venard, Blessed, missionary priest, martyr in China; to his executioner, who had just asked Venard what he would give to be killed quickly because the executioner coveted Venard's clothing. Fr. Venard was beheaded.

"Lord, show me Thy ways."
-- Thaddaeus Daly, O.S.F., who was hanged, drawn, and quartered at Limerick, 1 January, 1579; witnesses report that his head when cut off distinctly uttered these words.

"Guilty."
-- John Southworth, Venerable, priest, English martyr; tried at the Old Bailey, his response to the accusation of being a Catholic priest, whereupon he was condemned to death and sent to the gallows at Tyburn

"Let us go, my friends, for the sake of God."
-- Father Captier, Dominican superior of the College of Arcueil, to his 12 companions (Dominican priests and laymen), imprisoned by the Paris Commune for being prominent members of the Church, as they were being ordered into the street one by one. There they were murdered and defiled by the mob on May 25, 1871, just hours before the commune stronghold fell to the regular army that was advancing from Versailles.

"I forgive you as heartily as I wish God to forgive me."
-- Marie-Anne Piedcourt (Sister of Jesus Crucified), choir-nun; to her executioner, on mounting the scaffold; one of the 16 Teresian Martyrs of Compiegne guillotined on July 17, 1794 in Paris during the murderous Reign of Terror.

"Enough, gentlemen, my last word is this: the guillotine seems set up for good. Take me there. An oath against my conscience you will never get from me."
-- Sister Eugenie, Saint, of the Daughters of Wisdom; to the Revolutionary Committee of La Rochelle, during the murderous Reign of Terror in France.

Praying
Jul 31st 2013 new
"The Christian ideal has not been tried and found wanting. It has been found difficult and left untried."
-- Gilbert K. Chesterton

"I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
-- Gilbert K. Chesterton, Orthodoxy

Jul 31st 2013 new
"The gravest obligation requires the acceptance and practice, not of the religion which one may choose, but of that which God prescribes and which is known by certain and indubitable marks to be the only true one."
-- Leo XIII in his Encyclical Immortale Dei (November 1, 1885); on our fundamenal duty
Jul 31st 2013 new
"That by her holy prayers she may reconcile me to her Son, my Lord Jesus Christ."
-- William the Conqueror, King of England, Duke of Normandy; who died asking for the intercession of the Blessed Virgin Mary.
Jul 31st 2013 new
"People are often unreasonable and self-centered. Forgive them anyway. If you are kind, people may accuse you of ulterior motives. Be kind anyway. If you are honest, people may cheat you. Be honest anyway. If you find happiness, people may be jealous. Be happy anyway. The good you do today may be forgotten tomorrow. Do good anyway. Give the world the best you have and it may never be enough. Give your best anyway. For you see, in the end, it is between you and God. It was never between you and them anyway. ― Mother Teresa
Jul 31st 2013 new
"If you can't say anything nice about someone....don't say anything at all"
Posts 11 - 20 of 74