Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

Discussion related to living as a Catholic in the single state of life. As long as a topic is being discussed from the perspective of a single Catholic then it will be on-topic.

Tobias and Sarah's story is from the Book of Tobit, and his journey is guided by Saint Raphael.
Learn More: Tobias & Sarah as led by Saint Raphael

Aug 2nd 2013 new
(quote) David-978346 said:

1. You dont have a photo. Sorry if its shallow, but I want to know what you look like before I express interest. Now, if you have a profile that opens with a combination Calvin-Coolidge-Godzilla-Thomas-Aquinas joke, then Ill let the lack of a profile pic slide. The trouble is, without a profile photo I probably wont see it. Please, find a camera and use it; it shouldnt be that hard!

2. You have a photo, but I still have no idea what you look like. Giant sunglasses, pretty scenery, body-paint, ski-masks, and so on all have their place. Their place is not a profile picture on a dating site! Again, I want to know what you look like, not where you vacationed last fall. Im not looking for a date with Mt. Rainier. By all means have pictures showing the fact that youre into African Ceremonial Masks on your profile, but please have at least one photo that shows your undisguised face.

3. If your about me consists of about three sentences. I know, you want to be humble and talking about yourself feels weird. Believe me, I feel the same way. But look; I want to have some idea what kind of person you are before I decide to contact you. A single paragraph of which the only relevant information is Im nice and you can message me doesnt help much. Come on; this is one of the only times you can legitimately show off and talk about yourself without fear of being prideful. Go nuts!

4. If your three-sentence about me consists largely of any of the following information: Your name (I see it right up there under your picture), the fact that you are Catholic (its called CatholicMatch.com. Im going to assume youre Catholic unless you say otherwise, especially since I can also see the I accept all Church teachings icon right below your name), and/or the fact that you love your family (Im happy to hear it, but that doesnt tell me much about you). None of these things are bad to have, but if you have them youd better also have information on your interests, passions, dreams, personality, and so on. I.E. the stuff that isnt already assumed and that might give me an idea of what kind of person you are.

If you clear these hurdles, then were in good old fashioned any common interests/anything that really grabs me? territory.

Im not posting these to be mean or to make fun of anything, but because I really want all my Christian sisters to find the men they deserve and I worry that things like the above are probably hindering you in that regard, so I wanted you to see how things look from the masculine side of the equation. Hope this helps, and feel free to make your own lists!

Thank you David! I've run into these issues too and I'm so glad you brought them to the table!
Aug 2nd 2013 new
This is all excellent! Though, I must tip my hat by way of the comment on.random UB's (unexplained babies)...nobody wants one of those!

I will add that I lose interest when....
  1. I read an "My Ideal Partner" that is just one sentence basically saying, some variation of "she must be physically attractive, oh and uh, nice too...ya know whatever" No bueno.
  2. Conversely, a too exhaustive, detailed and indexed list in "My Ideal." Even the Litany of the Saints is only a selected list.
  3. Photos consisting of mirror selfies you know it took all his self-control to snap without taking his shirt off, yet he manages to still flex and ripple. Ew.
  4. Car selfies as profile or album photos . I'm just asking where are the priorities people? Cars don't kill people, people taking snapshots of themselves while driving two tons of death metal in busy roadways so that they can score a date kill people. Just sayin' I hope you're pulling over.
In Christ,
Leyden
Aug 3rd 2013 new
I feel it is important to know if someone is a PRACTICING Catholic. It makes a difference to me and, I am sure, many ladies. I have read a lot of profiles and a surprising number of guys admit to going to Mass once a month. That's not practicing. One memorable profile stated he never went to Mass and did not believe anything the church teaches. Why he is on this site is a mystery to me. Let's start a possible relationship with a little honesty.
Aug 3rd 2013 new
Four Reasons Why I will Lose Interest:

1) You are not 7/7

2) You say you have children but there are no photos of your children.

3) You are divorced but not annulled

4) You are looking for your "soul mate" or that "one in a million"
Aug 3rd 2013 new
Thanks David,right to the point and so helpful .
Aug 3rd 2013 new
(quote) Joan-529855 said: Four Reasons Why I will Lose Interest:

1) You are not 7/7

This I don't mind at all. Seriously if I had kids I wouldn't put any of their pictures online but would probably share them with someone I know a little.
Aug 3rd 2013 new
Interesting!
Lack of a picture.I am guilty of having a few pics of othe than myself!!! Guess I will change that!
l

Claim that they are a practicing Catholic & don't attend mass or don't believe the churches rule about contraception & premarital sex.I would have that question in my mind--is that what they are looking for & not an honest relationship?

Avoiding face to face contact. Writing & seeing are too different things.I don't want a penpal I want a relationship.I am getting too old for this"stuff"

Why are they divorced or annulled 2-3 times.Be honest!
Aug 3rd 2013 new
Interesting!
Lack of a picture.I am guilty of having a few pics of othe than myself!!! Guess I will change that!
l

Claim that they are a practicing Catholic & don't attend mass or don't believe the churches rule about contraception & premarital sex.I would have that question in my mind--is that what they are looking for & not an honest relationship?

Avoiding face to face contact. Writing & seeing are too different things.I don't want a penpal I want a relationship.I am getting too old for this"stuff"

Why are they divorced or annulled 2-3 times.Be honest!
Aug 3rd 2013 new
Whoops!!!
Aug 3rd 2013 new
(quote) Joan-529855 said: Four Reasons Why I will Lose Interest:

1) You are not 7/7

For your #2, I am completely active in the lives of my teens, and have been so all of their lives, but I choose to NOT put photos up of them (other than once pic that covers most of my youngest's face). In today's creepy world, I've made a decision to not post photos of them, but that doesn't mean I am not an active part of their daily lives.

Same with men. Just because he doesn't have photos of his kids doesn't mean he isn't an active part of their lives.

And on the flip side, just because a gent has photos of his kids doesn't mean he's an active part of their lives. I've gotten to know men who DO have photos of their kids, from sports events to big events like graduations, yet then I've learned that they are hardly a part of the lives of their children/teens.

So I think deciding a parent's involvement in the lives of their kids/teens based on whether they post photos could give you a false negative or a false positive.
Posts 11 - 20 of 77