Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for discussion for anyone who adheres to the Extraordinary form of the mass and any issues related to the practices of Eastern Rite Catholicism.

Saint Athanasius is counted as one of the four Great Doctors of the Church.
Learn More:Saint Athanasius

Can one claim to be a traditional Catholic and yet, at the same time, have the right to disobey a command of the Pope when the action commanded is not forbidden by divine or natural law?
Aug 01 new
(quote) Thomas-984554 said: Can one claim to be a traditional Catholic and yet, at the same time, have the right to disobey a command of the Pope when the action commanded is not forbidden by divine or natural law?
Can you give an example? No one is required to do anything anyone tells them if its sinful etc. an example ( what you are thinking about) would help.
Aug 02 new
  • Date Preached: 2013-06-30
  • Sermon length: 22 minutes 01 seconds
One Priests opinion on Obedience. www.audiosancto.org
Aug 02 new
Please refrain from posting non-credible references that can not be confirmed.

Although your link does technically meet item 9 of the forum rules, a simple website, without verifiable, credible contacts is not only suspicious, but very misleading to all who may follow the link.

Anyone or any group, of any nature, or form that refuses to identify their credentials, is exactly that, not credible.

The very first question to a credible source is, Who is the author? How recent? Author's purpose? Etc.

If when I was in graduate school and posted something like your link, I would have had that reference rejected.

Please keep to the subject matter if you wish to participate or I will be forced to file a complaint.

Thanks, Thomas.


Aug 02 new
For example, what the Church teaches and has always taught is that one must obey ones lawful superiors in all but sin. I think and I am sure we are saying the same thing.

The right to disobey exists only when the superior give a command which would involve a definite sin on the part of the person obeying.

This is not just a technical point of Canon law, it is the teaching of the whole one true and Apostolic church. It is exemplified in the Fourth Commandment and in the whole notion of papal primacy in jurisdictional matters.

A real example would be one where a group recognizes a certain Pope in public, but in private or within their "group" they do not obey.


Aug 02 new
Assuming that the competent authority is yours then yes I would agree obedience is required and it would be sinful to do otherwise. One could make your "case" so to speak, but the superior would have the final say. God has set up a hierarchical structure and expects us to follow it.
Aug 02 new
(quote) Thomas-984554 said: Please refrain from posting non-credible references that can not be confirmed.

Although your link does technically meet item 9 of the forum rules, a simple website, without verifiable, credible contacts is not only suspicious, but very misleading to all who may follow the link.

Anyone or any group, of any nature, or form that refuses to identify their credentials, is exactly that, not credible.

The very first question to a credible source is, Who is the author? How recent? Author's purpose? Etc.

If when I was in graduate school and posted something like your link, I would have had that reference rejected.

Please keep to the subject matter if you wish to participate or I will be forced to file a complaint.

Thanks, Thomas.


I understand your concern, but I know several of these priests ( voices don't change). They are in good standing. Their message can be tough, but then again we need to hear it.
Aug 02 new
(quote) Thomas-984554 said: Please refrain from posting non-credible references that can not be confirmed.

Although your link does technically meet item 9 of the forum rules, a simple website, without verifiable, credible contacts is not only suspicious, but very misleading to all who may follow the link.

Anyone or any group, of any nature, or form that refuses to identify their credentials, is exactly that, not credible.

The very first question to a credible source is, Who is the author? How recent? Author's purpose? Etc.

If when I was in graduate school and posted something like your link, I would have had that reference rejected.

Please keep to the subject matter if you wish to participate or I will be forced to file a complaint.

Thanks, Thomas.


www.audiosancto.org

Who are the priests giving these sermons?

The priests you hear in the recordings on this website are Catholic Priests, in good standing with their local ordinaries and Rome, incardinated with normal faculties and jurisdiction, and serving in North America.

Okay... so why not just say who the priests are?

Because they have duties and responsibilities as priests to care for the souls of the Faithful entrusted to them. By remaining unidentified, their attention for their flock won't be divided by folks outside of their parish who might seek them out for questions rather than going to their local priests. Moreover, the message they happen to be preaching -- the Catholic Faith -- is what is important, not the human beings who are preaching it.

Aug 02 new
(quote) Tim-734178 said: Can you give an example? No one is required to do anything anyone tells them if its sinful etc. an example ( what you are thinking about) would help.
The premise is that the act is not sinful.
Aug 03 new
(quote) Thomas-984554 said: A real example would be one where a group recognizes a certain Pope in public, but in private or within their "group" they do not obey.


If you're saying that this "group" will act in accordance with the Pope's express will, when what he commands is licit, in public, but not in private, then there appears to be a contradiction in integrity and standard. It's no good to be a respecter of persons, and therefore "obedient" to a superiors face, but disobedient behind his back. A person with integrity will act the same regardless of who is present when it comes to doing his duty by compliance to commands of a superior.
Posts 1 - 10 of 13